Daisuke Gori Tribute - Request

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Daisuke Gori Tribute - Request

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:08 pm

It only makes sense to dedicate our next podcast episode to the memory of Daisuke Gôri. Sure, we've done a Top 5 in the past for his voices and characters, but that's not nearly enough to show our appreciation for his legacy. Anyone who watches anime knows this man's voice like the back of your hand, and it brings a smile to your face each time it booms on-screen.

So what is your one, single, most memorable scene that he has done? I'll even make an exception and say that it doesn't have to be from just DBZ -- his character roster is beyond comprehension, and it isn't too out there to suggest that perhaps he made a bigger impact on you from some other series. Of course, if you ALSO have a DBZ performance you want to mention, that'd be great! Don't just give me a character, though -- give me a specific scene.

We'll try to play some of our (and your) favorites on the show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Re: Daisuke Gori Tribute - Request

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:11 pm

My favorite Daisuke Gori role would have to be from the original Mobile Suit Gundam. In this series he plays one of the antagonists named Dozle Zabi. Dozle has a great death scene near the end of series when he refuses to give up against the Gundam to the point that he is just screaming at the Gundam while shooting it with a machine gun. In general his whole performance in the series was really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC4yNvAIH2U Sorry if this is against the rules.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:28 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:My favorite Daisuke Gori role would have to be from the original Mobile Suit Gundam. In this series he plays one of the antagonists named Dozle Zabi. Dozle has a great death scene near the end of series when he refuses to give up against the Gundam to the point that he is just screaming at the Gundam while shooting it with a machine gun. In general his whole performance in the series was really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC4yNvAIH2U Sorry if this is against the rules.
I must concur, the Dozle character--espicially with Gôri behind him--makes this one of First Gundam's most iconic scenes.

I would also say that Gôri's best in Dragon Ball is the scene in which Mr. Satan is rallying the Earth to give 'him' their genki to defeat Majin Boo. It's always nice to see the usual comic Mark get truly serious.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:19 pm

For me, Mr. Satan is the one role that I'm most familiar with... even more than Gyuumaoh and Enma Daioh.

But I also like him as Heihachi Mishima from the Tekken series.

I also liked his roles in Hokuto No Ken like Diamond and Uighur.

No matter what his role was, I recognize him anytime.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:28 pm

As I've only heard Gori in three series, Pokémon (as a character of the day), One Piece for those couple of episodes, and Dragon Ball, I can safely say that Mr. Satan is his most memorable role to me. And for Mr. Satan, there is no question that encouraging Earth to give to Goku's Genki Dama is his crowning moment as a character. That's my vote.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 am

I'd have to say my most memorable moment for him would have to be as Mr. Satan, the entire JSAT. It reminded me of why he was so great as him in the first place.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:37 am

jda95 wrote:And for Mr. Satan, there is no question that encouraging Earth to give to Goku's Genki Dama is his crowning moment as a character. That's my vote.
I'd have to agree. Mr. Satan's shining moment, this.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:50 am

When Mr. Satan is asking everyone to give energy to the Spirit Bomb and also when he is telling the people of the Earth that he has just defeated Majin Boo.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:28 pm

I am not familiar enough with his work (in Dragonball or otherwise), but I have to say I was very pleased with his performance in the 2008 Jump Tour special, particularly Mr. Satan's conversation with Videl at the end; I'd kind of been expecting Mr. Satan to wine and Videl to scold, but it was actually a touching scene, and both actors were crutial to that.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:40 pm

When I think of Daisuke Gori's work, I immediately think of his comedic roles. My 2 particular favorites are his work as Mr. Satan in Dragonball Z/GT, as well as his role as Dondochakka in Bleach. I think everyone knows how great he was as Mr. Satan. As Dondochakka, his lines weren't very funny, but his acting brought them to life and had me in stitches.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:52 pm

When talking about the roles he’s done, it’d be a crime not to mention the Kinnikuman character Robin Mask. It seems to be the single role he’s most known for in Japan, judging from the fact that it’s the one always mentioned in the headlines of the Japanese articles on his death. Which makes sense because Kinnikuman is still a very well-known series in Japan, and Robin Mask is roughly equivalent to Piccolo or Vegeta in terms of character importance. However, while I’m a big fan of the Kinnikuman manga, I’ve never really seen the anime, so I don’t have much personal connection to Daisuke Gouri’s portrayal of Robin Mask. Still, here’s a video of Robin Mask’s theme song, which features Gouri talking a bit at the beginning and towards the middle.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:51 am

Herms wrote:When talking about the roles he’s done, it’d be a crime not to mention the Kinnikuman character Robin Mask. It seems to be the single role he’s most known for in Japan, judging from the fact that it’s the one always mentioned in the headlines of the Japanese articles on his death. Which makes sense because Kinnikuman is still a very well-known series in Japan, and Robin Mask is roughly equivalent to Piccolo or Vegeta in terms of character importance. However, while I’m a big fan of the Kinnikuman manga, I’ve never really seen the anime, so I don’t have much personal connection to Daisuke Gouri’s portrayal of Robin Mask. Still, here’s a video of Robin Mask’s theme song, which features Gouri talking a bit at the beginning and towards the middle.
Same here. I'm a fan of Kinnikuman manga, but not the anime since I've only watched the first five episodes fansubbed with some youtube clips.

And yes, I noticed that the headlines always mentions Robin Mask and Ashuraman from Kinnikuman, but not Mr. Satan from DBZ.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:When I think of Daisuke Gori's work, I immediately think of his comedic roles. My 2 particular favorites are his work as Mr. Satan in Dragonball Z/GT, as well as his role as Dondochakka in Bleach. I think everyone knows how great he was as Mr. Satan. As Dondochakka, his lines weren't very funny, but his acting brought them to life and had me in stitches.
Oh, wow. I'm ashamed for not thinking of his role as Dondochakka Bilstin. Probably because Bleach has been in filler mode for the past few months, but yeah. Like nearly every role I can think of that he voiced, he really brought a sense of lovability to the character. I'll be sad to see when the character returns and someone else is voicing him.