Favorite Super Saiyan Transformation Scene

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Re: Favorite Super Saiyan Transformation Scene

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:00 am

Rocketman wrote: "NOOOOO, not the robot I've known for fifteen minutes! HOW DARE YOU, CELL"

Hey, remember when Vegeta got called an idiot for flying into a rage after seeing his son murdered in front of him? Good times.
The only person who can actually make me laugh by the things he says here. Ah Rocketman, how I've missed thee...
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:16 am

Super Son Goku FTW!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:30 am

I think the reason Gohan went mad seeing Android 16 die was the fact that he's purely artificial intelligence yet he was able to show emotion. If 16's love was artificial or "fake", and yet he is able to express it in this way... then imagine everyone else? So I think that was the reason -- Gohan saw this emotion for what it really was, because 16 'loved life' even though he wasn't socially accepted because 'he was just an android'. That's just how I like to take things.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Definitely Trunks's transformation. I thought Goku's first transformation was just too quick, there was nothing really to it. "I'm raging!" "GRAH!" "done". Gohan's scene is pretty good, but the bird ruins everything.

Trunks's transformation has got everything, build up, mysteriousness, a cool tune to go with but above all that, the sheer terror in Freeza's eyes, that's my favourite bit.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:44 pm

penguintruth wrote:You know as well as I do why that was what set him off, stop pretending you don't.

It wasn't just that Android 16 was suddenly killed, that's just what pushed him over the threshold, the killing of somebody who had a gentle personality, who did nothing wrong, wasn't even really a fighter, as far as he was concerned, or had no love for it like the other androids. Programmed to kill Goku or not, 16 was willing to sacrifice himself to destroy Cell and was trying to help Gohan, and he was killed. That was more than Gohan could take at that time, with his friends and father near death from the Cell Junior attacks.

Gohan finally releasing all his power, living up to his potential, coming into his own was built up to through the entire series to that point. This was him surpassing his father. This was, to me, the definitive moment of DBZ.

Of course, then Toriyama sort of threw that away later in the Buu arc, but this moment is still pretty important, and the anime handles it perfectly.
THANK YOU.

It was pretty much made obvious that 16's death wasn't the direct cause of Gohan's rager. It was pretty much the finger that pulled the trigger. The dub dialogue especially illustrates this
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:46 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:It was pretty much made obvious that 16's death wasn't the direct cause of Gohan's rager. It was pretty much the finger that pulled the trigger. The dub dialogue especially illustrates this.
And the original doesn't need any oh-so-extraneous dialogue to illustrate it. :D
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Kaboom wrote:And the original doesn't need any oh-so-extraneous dialogue to illustrate it. :D
Gohan gets really irritated at birdsong?

O-chan30

Post by O-chan30 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Kaboom wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:It was pretty much made obvious that 16's death wasn't the direct cause of Gohan's rager. It was pretty much the finger that pulled the trigger. The dub dialogue especially illustrates this.
And the original doesn't need any oh-so-extraneous dialogue to illustrate it. :D
Yeah, because when we're about to snap we go into a deep monologue in our heads about it... :lol:

On-top my top three are:
SSJ2 Gohan (Japanese)
SSJ Goku (Japanese)
SSJ Goku in Movie 5 (English)

The last one was actually BETTER in the English version because the music gave it far better build-up.

O-chan

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:13 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:The dub dialogue especially illustrates this
..You almost had me there for a second!

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:21 pm

All the awesome transformations were mentioned already, so I'm going to go in the opposite direction. I choose young Trunk's first Super Saiyan transformation because it was so damn funny. Vegeta's reaction, especially in the dub always cracks me up. Such juxtaposition between this transformation and the transformations prior makes the "Super Saiyan bargin sale" more acceptable as the saga goes on. I love the seriousness of DBZ but I also like the fact that Akira Toriyama goes back to the silliness of Dragonball in the Buu arc and as simple as it was, that transformation represents the bridge between seriousness and silly.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:44 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:The dub dialogue especially illustrates this
Gohan (speaking when there were no lines for him in the original at this point): 16, you love life. You gave everything up to save it. And you were just an android. I let you die. I can't do that! I won't watch anymore! I feel it slipping! AND I WON'T WATCH THIS ANYMORE!
(Gohan explodes with rage, transforming into SSJ2, electronica playing)
Nothing says "illustration" quite like beating the viewer over the head with the obvious.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:09 am

I don't go into bashing the dub that often, but in the Japanese version and in the manga, it seemed like Android 16's death was just the one extra thing that made Gohan explode.
In the dub, it seems like what it took for him to explode was a robot dying, not that all his friends and his father were being beaten to death.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:59 am

Rocketman wrote:Gohan gets really irritated at birdsong?
That actually makes more sense. Maybe he really hates birds.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:07 am

DNA wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Gohan gets really irritated at birdsong?
That actually makes more sense. Maybe he really hates birds.
He's Ornithophobic, especially when it comes to white birds.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:15 am

That's it!

He's not just half-Saiyan...he's got some MARTIAN in him as well! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bI71P_8O8
Trunks & Goten forever

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:09 am

Goku and Vegeta's transformation at the end of the Jump anime tour special. I just love it when they power up for completely idiotic reasons, like food or the death of their family and friends.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Easily Vegeta's first transformation. More so because I loved his back story.

Yes, I'm talking about the dub version with the dub music (I actually really enjoy Vegeta's theme).

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
"NOOOOO, not the robot I've known for fifteen minutes! HOW DARE YOU, CELL"
Now that I think of it, why did Gohan get so mad when Cell crushed #16? He didn't know him for that long and he badly wanted to kill his father.
:lol: That is why that scene didn't do it for me like the two I mentioned... plus I'm not too much of a Gohan fan to begin with.

And yes - that bird..
Just Saiyan...

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 pm

Rocketman wrote: And yes - that bird..
That bird, the saviour of the earth. If it wasn't for him Gohan wouldn't have gone Super Saiyan 2 and defeated Cell.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:26 am

Rocketman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:But then, you don't really give a damn about Gohan.
"NOOOOO, not the robot I've known for fifteen minutes! HOW DARE YOU, CELL"

Hey, remember when Vegeta got called an idiot for flying into a rage after seeing his son murdered in front of him? Good times.
Rocketman, you're completely missing the point. It wasn't just "the robot I've known for fifteen minutes" that triggered Gohan's transformation.

Son Gohan was initially burning with strong emotion once his friends began falling at the hands of the Cell Juniors. It wasn't just rage that unleashed Gohan's hidden potential. As Piccolo said, Gohan's power only bursts loose when his emotions are at his peak, whether it be rage, fear etc. This is proven when Piccolo threw Gohan towards the mountain, and, through his fear, Gohan's power broke loose.

Then it comes to #16. It was #16's words that made him realise that the world and his friends were relying on him. He realized that he had to feel the rage, and despite his reluctance to fight, he had to destroy Cell.

And then Cell killing #16. #16, the android who had a gentle demeanour, loved nature, went against his programming and chose not to kill Goku, plus attempted to sacrifice himself to save Gohan and the others at the cost of his own life. Then, for Cell to kill him so suddenly in such a cruel, callous way was what pushed an already emotional Gohan over the edge into a Super Saiyan 2.

At least, that's my take on it. But I know you'll just ignore me, because of your unyielding hatred of Gohan, which is preventing you from judging this event fairly.

---

On-topic, my favourite Super Saiyan transformation is Vegeta's SSJ 2nd Grade transformation. That was the one that had the most impact on me, more than Son Gohan's 1st SSJ2 transformation or Son Goku's 1st SSJ transformation. The visuals are impressive, the muscles bulging look awesome, the aura flaring are dazzling...great.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.