FUNimation Announces "Kai" License ("DBZ Kai")

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: FUNimation Announces "Kai" License ("DBZ Kai")

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Where'd the voice actor attacks come from?

I seriously doubt Chris Sabat is going ANYWHERE anytime soon, that would be half the show.

And for all you naysayers, would you just rather have nothing at all? You haven't heard any concrete news about it and you're already starting a mini war over it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Whered the voice actor attacks come from?

I seriously doubt Chris Sabat is giong ANYWHERE anytime soon, that would be half the show.

And for all you naysayers, would you just rather have nothing at all? You havent heard any concrete news about it and youre already starting a mini war over it.
Sabat is also one-four hundredth of FUNimation's talent pool. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cool with ditching a few roles.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1056 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Sorry was already posted... :oops:

SPRING BABY!!!!!!! :P
Last edited by Vegeta1056 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:Whered the voice actor attacks come from?

I seriously doubt Chris Sabat is giong ANYWHERE anytime soon, that would be half the show.

And for all you naysayers, would you just rather have nothing at all? You havent heard any concrete news about it and youre already starting a mini war over it.
Sabat is also one-four hundredth of FUNimation's talent pool. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cool with ditching a few roles.
Yes, he's definitely sticking around. I also wouldn't be surprised if he gave up some of his smaller roles like Zarbon though.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:51 pm

After seeing their One Piece dub, I know they CAN do a good dub if they took the time and care, I just don't know if they'll think enough to dial back some of the really bad voices and stuff, since they might be afraid of pissing off the dubbies. IE: Dubbie: "THAT'S NOT FRIEZA! THEY CHANGED HER VOICE! SHE SOUNDS LIKE A GUY NOW!"

I actually don't have a problem with most of the voices, and I respectfully disagree with anyone saying Schemell's performance as Son Goku hasn't improved over the years. In DB he was pretty much perfect IMHO.

As for Sabat, I think he's a really good actor, but Its pretty much a fact that when FUNimation started out, they had a very small pool of actors to draw from. Cynthia Cranz was Chris Sabat's Librarian he just said "Hey, you want an Acting Job?!" This lead to them, for some reason, deciding that whenever they didn't have an actor to play a Role, just give it to Sabat. So he plays far too many people. Vs. now with One Piece, where they decided "If you play a Straw Hat Pirate, we're not going to let you play anyone else in the series". Meaning Sabat has exactly One role in One Piece. (This rule doesn't apply to someone cast as a Straw Hat AFTER they'd already played someone else like Franky, which coincidentally, is exactly the same as in Japan.)

so yeah, most of the cast as really grown into their own and are good actors these days, but I still don't think Sabat should be playing SO many people.
They have the vast voice acting pool to draw from now, the show is marketed as a "Directors Cut", Japan already replaced several voices that didn't NEED replacement (Nappa, The Ginyu Special Corps, Dende, Etc) and they themselves already have to replace a few actors ANYWAY (Cell being a prime example)
By all rights, they SHOULD take this opportunity to pad out the cast a little bit.

Although, Mike McFarland needs to stay as Kamesen'in no matter what, and Chris Rager needs to stay as Mr. Satan.
Last edited by DemonRin on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:54 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Where'd the voice actor attacks come from?
From throughout the decade. Where have you been?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:23 pm

DemonRin wrote:Although, Mike McFarland needs to stay as Kamesen'in no matter what,
Erm... I wouldn't say "needs to" for this one. This voice is like, third or fourth string of characters that need something done with them.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:25 pm

Woah, am I late to the party. Anyway, like most people here, I want a new dub akin to the One Piece dub, which I now watch as a substitute for the original most of the time. While this will never happen for DB/Z/GT, I'm hoping for a dub that I will feel proud to watch on tv. Otherwise, those cash vampires can't have one more bite of my money.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:26 pm

I know this is most likely a retarded question, but is there any possible way for FUNi to put out the Kai soundtracks? Or is that stuff only in Japan?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:30 pm

The US isnt as big on soundtracks and the music so I doubt, but if so; the US wont get like 4 versions of it.

Zarbon wasn't a minor role in the Namek saga.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:I know this is most likely a retarded question, but is there any possible way for FUNi to put out the Kai soundtracks? Or is that stuff only in Japan?
I can't think of a single anime that got it's OST released in the U.S. FLCL, maybe?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:12 pm

B wrote: I can't think of a single anime that got it's OST released in the U.S. FLCL, maybe?
Then you don't pay enough attention, it used to be semi common, often with the soundtrack coming with the show itself.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:20 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
B wrote: I can't think of a single anime that got it's OST released in the U.S. FLCL, maybe?
Then you don't pay enough attention, it used to be semi common, often with the soundtrack coming with the show itself.
They definitely used to do that back in the early 2000's. I remember buying anime OST's in local stores. I guess with the way the economy is it's no longer profitable to bring stuff over anymore.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Pioneer used to do it, at least with Tenchi. My old DVDs have the advertisements for it.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:43 pm

There are also CD's for Eureka Seven.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm glad that Funi's keeping the full cast. It'd be stupid for them to desert the majority of the fanbase for 5 or 10 people.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:06 pm

@penguintruth

You really make yourself lose credibility when you make bland and geneic flame comments towards Schemmel like that. I think a lot of the members here will disagree with a lot of the things you said about him (Even if they hate him). Because they're simply too harsh and too over the top. You're letting your dislike for him cloud your judgement in how to handle presenting your opinion. Calling him a generic superhero is completely over the top. The only times Sean sounds like that is when FUNi's script calls for it. It's not his fault that FUNi tweeks Goku's dialogue and gives him over the top lines. When the script is accurate, Sean sounds perfect (Once he settled into the role). When FUNi hams up the script, Sean delivers it like it's written.

If you wanna hear a Generic Super Hero Goku. Try Kirby Morrow (Ocean Goku #3).

I'm not trying to flame you here man. I'm just saying. You're presenting yourself in a bad light.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:30 pm

Essentially what you're saying is that I lose credibility when I say something you disagree with. That's called a difference of opinion.

I'm not being "over the top", I'm describing exactly what I think he sounds like as Goku. If anything, that makes my argument more credible, because instead of just saying he sucks, I'm tell you why he sucks. His voice sounds like it's fit for generic male leads in 80s-early nineties Saturday morning cartoons, the ones where they just cast anyone who had the "male lead voice".

If anything is generic and bland, it's Sean Schemmel's voice and acting. It's got no character to it and doesn't belong coming out of Goku, who is full of character. At least Kirby Morrow, a voice acting veteran, has the skills to play Goku, even if his voice wasn't great.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:05 pm

:roll: While this is great and all, Funi needs to stop with the whole ultra-cool-box-set-thats-the-way-it's-meant-to-be-seen.-Nevermind,-here's-seven-more-box-sets-thats-REALLY-the-way-it's-meant-to-be-seen thing. I already bought 3 of the orange bricks and the first Dragon Box, not to mentation that I have no money and have a ton of debt.

Sigh.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Kendamu wrote:Are there any comparisons laying around comparing 4:3 Kai BD to 4:3 DBox DVD?
Okay, I found them after doing a little digging on my old computer. I planned on making a feature with them on Kanzentai, but I never got around to it. Maybe someday it'll get done, since I have a bunch of screen shots just sitting around.

Anyway, here's a comparison for ya. I obviously resized the Kai screen shot from 1440x1080 to 640x480 so it's easier to compare the two, and resized the Dragon Box screen shot from 720x480 to 640x480. Other than that I made no other alterations, just added text.

If you look close enough, you'll notice that the Kai footage has just a touch more image all around. It's not much, so I wouldn't say it's significant.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::