Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:03 pm

New page:

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:30 pm

*Inhales deeply*

BULLSHIT!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:34 pm

I hope this is one of those "Vegetto is playing around" scenarios that he kinda has a thing for.

"Oh, you turned me into candy? I'll just fight you like this! Haha!"

Otherwise... ugh.. :roll:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:14 pm

You know, I really wish people would stop going "Brolly's not strong enough to hurt Vegetto! Foul!" and all related things. This is NOT the same Brolly you saw in the DBZ movies. It's called an Alternate Universe and thus he is whatever the author makes him.

Ugh.

I'm sorry, but all of these comments are really getting to be annoying. And they've always been pointless. People have already admitted in this thread that if it were anyone but Brolly they wouldn't care. If this were an original character people wouldn't be complaining. If this were some version of just about any other movie character, people wouldn't be complaining. The fact that you don't like the character, or the annoying fans associated with the character, means jack shit.

This happened enough with all the bitching about SSJ Pan.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Xyex wrote:....

You know, I really wish people would stop going "Brolly's not strong enough to hurt Vegetto! Foul!" and all related things. This is NOT the same Brolly you saw in the DBZ movies. It's called an Alternate Universe and thus he is whatever the author makes him.
The author is stupid.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:10 pm

......I have no words. Perhaps some nondescript retching and indigestion, but no words.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Xyex wrote:It's called an Alternate Universe and thus he is whatever the author makes him.
Then he should have tried to make "his" Broly into a good character.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:43 pm

Xyex wrote:You know, I really wish people would stop going "Brolly's not strong enough to hurt Vegetto! Foul!" and all related things. This is NOT the same Brolly you saw in the DBZ movies. It's called an Alternate Universe and thus he is whatever the author makes him.

Ugh.
Aw, look who's taking the comments a little to seriously (just like the comic). First, DBM is my favorite fancomic I've read in years. Second, even though I don't like Broly, half if not most, of the comments are either sarcastic or just humorous (well at least the comments I make are, I can't speak for everyone else *coughrocketmancough*) And finally... Well I like the comic! I've even written to the author just to give him props for the great work he's doing so far even though there some things I don't agree with. In the end, it's all in good fun.

Oh and this too:
Kaboom wrote:
Xyex wrote:It's called an Alternate Universe and thus he is whatever the author makes him.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:47 pm

Good point. This alternative take on Broly could have been supported by a really interesting background, but instead we're basically presented with an overpowered version of the same guy we've seen for three films straight. However, retaining an intriguing backstory or not, the fight itself may have panned out the same way regardless.

Broly is merely a catalyst of the big picture imo. Let the team of DBM have their fun, afterall this comic is seemingly created for fans of the DB-verse. This includes satiating the rabid fans of both the underrated and overrated characters of the DB spectrum.

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Its the people complaining about how all Broly can do is yell "KAKAROT!!" thats annoying me. You don't like the character, fine, thats great that you have an opinion. The thing is, Broly from movie 8 wasn't like that; sure, he hates Goku, and maybe hes not the brightest bulb, but he didn't just yell 100% of the time like you all make it seem.

This Broly, again while it seems like his burning hatred for Goku is there, he also seems to have retained his (rather limited though still there) intelligence. Take his "legendary warrior" yell for example. Again hes not going to win any awards for his intelligence, but hes not a completely mindless freak.

Seriously, I understand that you don't like Broly, but these hate comments are getting a bit ridiculous.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Snail wrote:Good point. This alternative take on Broly could have been supported by a really interesting background, but instead we're basically presented with an overpowered version of the same guy we've seen for three films straight. However, retaining an intriguing backstory or not, the fight itself may have panned out the same way regardless.
Y'know what could have really worked? A sane Broly. One who DIDN'T end up a hulking, rampaging nutcase who just tries to kill everything he comes across. If he had learned how to properly use his power, and had thus ended up this strong by his own efforts and work or perfection of his "Legendary" status, then I'd be cool with it. In fact, I'd probably like it. It'd make this version of the character and his universe WAY more interesting and unique.

But no. We get the same musclebound, already-way-overused-by-everyone retard, who's now got a god-mode and is able to fight mutha-effin' Super Vegetto just because. I have to say, it's a major turn-off.

But in the end, I guess I'm not changing anything by complaining about it. I should just sit back and wait until Broly's dead so the unique and interesting characters can have their turn in the spotlight.

Needs more hermit-Kuririn!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:09 am

Kaboom wrote:
Snail wrote:Good point. This alternative take on Broly could have been supported by a really interesting background, but instead we're basically presented with an overpowered version of the same guy we've seen for three films straight. However, retaining an intriguing backstory or not, the fight itself may have panned out the same way regardless.
Y'know what could have really worked? A sane Broly. One who DIDN'T end up a hulking, rampaging nutcase who just tries to kill everything he comes across. If he had learned how to properly use his power, and had thus ended up this strong by his own efforts and work or perfection of his "Legendary" status, then I'd be cool with it. In fact, I'd probably like it. It'd make this version of the character and his universe WAY more interesting and unique.

But no. We get the same musclebound, already-way-overused-by-everyone retard, who's now got a god-mode and is able to fight mutha-effin' Super Vegetto just because. I have to say, it's a major turn-off.

But in the end, I guess I'm not changing anything by complaining about it. I should just sit back and wait until Broly's dead so the unique and interesting characters can have their turn in the spotlight.

Or they could have been funny and donned a robe and pipe on the guy, then made him speak old english.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:32 am

Kaboom wrote: Y'know what could have really worked? A sane Broly. One who DIDN'T end up a hulking, rampaging nutcase who just tries to kill everything he comes across. If he had learned how to properly use his power, and had thus ended up this strong by his own efforts and work or perfection of his "Legendary" status, then I'd be cool with it. In fact, I'd probably like it. It'd make this version of the character and his universe WAY more interesting and unique.

Agreed, like I said, when in Super Saiyan the dude looks more godly than any other character in the franchise! He looks like some sort of messiah. How cool would it be if in his universe he was more pacifistic? And he actually saved the Saiyans (the remaining ones) by completely annihilating Freeza and his family? Maybe you could have utopian Saiyans following him! Imagine, by sheer force and will power he manages to unite the remaining Saiyans (including all the other ones like Tullece, Onio and Tarble), and they turn a bit more pacifistic? Kinda like Vegeta by the end, oh sure, his battle thirst is still the same, but he's not has murderous.

And I definitely need more of that there Namek, and some sprinkles of that Buu who absorbed everyone.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:04 pm

You know, guys... aren't we really early into this Tournament? It seems to me like this manga could go until page 1000 and we'd still not be finished with the tournament. And you know what else... if that is the case, this is just simply a set-up to a bigger event. Just chill. Broly isn't the final boss, but more a sort of side story-like thing. A way to keep things a little interesting. What they're doing, I think, is getting Broly out of the way. I mean they have all those movie characters, but if they DON'T include Broly, it'll just be really weird.

So, could we please just keep the Broly bashing to a minimum and stop calling "Bullshit" at every freaking punch Broly gets into Vegetto. And Rocketman... if you think the author is stupid, then leave this thread dedicated to his extremely hard work. Ever wanted to do a comic? You know how much work it is? And to already been going for 200 pages? To me that type of dedication is insane. If you think he's stupid, that's fine, then stop reading.

Thank you.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Kaboom wrote:
I'm going to meet people halfway on this:

Xyex is completely right in saying that this Broly is whatever the author makes him. The author already doing so is what makes the fanmanga so damn interesting.

Meanwhile, the author choosing 'just because' as the reason to explain why this Broly is omnipotent is bad writing. There's an infinite amount of options to choose from to viably explain how a Broly is stronger than a Vegetto, especially since neither is from our universe (maybe something caused Vegetto to become weak in 20 years, or Broly to become stronger).

On a side note, those pissed at how the 'just because' route was used should stop being surprised that it's still being used in each subsequent panel of the manga. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:05 pm

New Page:

I agree with Kaboom, if they decided to actually make Broly an interesting character instead of the same old screaming idiot, I wouldn't have a problem with this.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:20 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I agree with Kaboom, if they decided to actually make Broly an interesting character instead of the same old screaming idiot, I wouldn't have a problem with this.
The thing is, 'screaming idiot' is what most people think of/remember with him because of movie 10 and all the constant bashing of the character. To have done something even more reminiscent of movie 8 would have had people complaining (in fact, the fact that Brolly actually formed a full sentence earlier brought out complaints) that he's "out of character" real quick. Sure, they could have tweaked him a lot more, but DBM's more about keeping the characters similar to their known originals than making them vastly different. Changing powers is one thing, changing personalities without some basis for the shift (like with evil Kakarotto) is something else.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Yeah, Broli's not screaming. He's laughing manically because he's having fun. What the hell else is he going to say, "Did I do that?" when he sees somebody bleeding?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Holy shit! Surpreme Kais that actually interfere with their universe instead of sitting on their asses?! Wow! What a twist! And I'm serious about that, for once I'm actually surprised.
Xyex wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I agree with Kaboom, if they decided to actually make Broly an interesting character instead of the same old screaming idiot, I wouldn't have a problem with this.
The thing is, 'screaming idiot' is what most people think of/remember with him because of movie 10 and all the constant bashing of the character. To have done something even more reminiscent of movie 8 would have had people complaining (in fact, the fact that Brolly actually formed a full sentence earlier brought out complaints) that he's "out of character" real quick. Sure, they could have tweaked him a lot more, but DBM's more about keeping the characters similar to their known originals than making them vastly different. Changing powers is one thing, changing personalities without some basis for the shift (like with evil Kakarotto) is something else.
Broly is a bad character. Period. There hasn't been a single game, movie, etc. that even remotely tried to to expand his character to more than "a screaming idiot" (who possibly suffers from down syndrome). As a writer you have the opportunity to change any character you want for the better. You're right about making drastic changes to the point were Broly could have been way out of character. Without having some short of believable story (or shift) that would explain his slight character change, it wouldn't make a lot sense.

But Broly doesn't have a "character." The writer was given a clean slate and could've done something new and interesting! He could've changed him, even just a little bit for effort, he didn't. He stayed with norm and it's not like he couldn't fit a "shift" to expand on Broly. I could count the opportunities he had to do something different, I know, I've read DBM three times.

Broly's does not need defending, I have no idea why people even bother. He's a strong, indestructible, threat. That is all that he is. And I'm okay with that! What I really care about is the actual fight. I want to see something cool, something different, and something worth reading that I haven't already seen before. That's a true test of fan writer. Dragonball Z wasn't exactly famous for strong character developments and superb story telling. We watched it because we like to see overly muscled idiots, with yellow hair, beating the ever loving shit out of each other and so far DBM has delivered.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Scarz wrote:Broly's does not need defending, I have no idea why people even bother. He's a strong, indestructible, threat. That is all that he is.
And that is the movie 10 stereotype in play, and such is, I'm sure, why Brolly isn't vastly different than what people expect him to be. I'm sure for everyone person who complains about the Brolly we did get there would be five who would complain about the Brolly that one would have liked to have gotten.

I write AUs all the time, some of them have huge and drastic changes to the normal DBZ world, and I've implemented Brolly into three fics. In only one of them is he vastly different than movie 8, and only because that universe was already massively different than normal. In the universes more similar to the series I kept him much like his movie 8 self. Altered back story and such, but for the most part still his normal self, because his normal self is what people know and expect, and has a lot of room for a writer to work in.
<Xyex> Good point.