What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What have the American/UK Dubs... DONE RIGHT?

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:59 am

penguintruth wrote:I thought Cell explained it as it being the result of his Saiyan cells, which is why he was even more powerful than his previous Perfect form.

If the dub indeed said that he was able to do it because of cellular memory of his Perfect Form, though, I have to hand it to it to Funimation. That is pretty good.
The exact quote from the dub was this:

"...That's when I realized that each of my cells must hold a memory of my former self, each one programmed to make me whole again. And to my great delight, I returned with my complete power in tact! Causing my own self destruction was the best thing to ever happen to me - I was reborn! I have to give Dr. Gero credit for his brilliant design - My complete power had been restored even though I had lost Android 18. My cells took the power and stored it away, reawakening it after the explosion as my new body grew. I also discovered that I had the ability to use the Instant Transmission technique. Somehow during the blast, my cells had absorbed the knowledge from Goku."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:17 am

IncompetentOverlord wrote:

"The Game" playing in one of the movies(I think it was 5?) was pretty cool, and indeed the only really good choice of insert music by Funi, even if it didn't fit the series as a whole.

I really like the choice of VA for Emperor Pilaf. That guy did a great job of totally emphasizing the goofiness of the character. Reminded me of Meowth's VA from Pokemon.
IncompetentOverlord wrote: "The Game" playing in one of the movies(I think it was 5?) was pretty cool, and indeed the only really good choice of insert music by Funi, even if it didn't fit the series as a whole.
IncompetentOverlord wrote: "The Game"
:x

Anyway, for what Cell said about his...well, cells, in the dub. I'm pretty sure he mentioned his Saiyan cells making him stronger after that near-death experience.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:36 pm

I think Chris Rager was good as Mr.Satan. I had to do a double check when I switched it to Japanese because of the similarity. I also think Chuck Huber and Meredith McCoy were amazing as Androids 17 and 18. And their version of the Cell Games Reenactment was probably one of the only dub scenes that outdoes the Japanese.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GreggMays64 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 am

Retro FUNimation Dub
Dragonball: I don't know, its better than their DBZ dub, thats for sure.
Dragonball Z: The 3 movies were good, and the best dubs DBZ ever got.

FUNimation
Dragonball: Stays true to the original Japanese.
Dragonball Z: Technically uncut, and has all of its 291 episodes.
Dragonball GT: Well they did make an English version of Dan Dan Kokoro, and even though they skipped the first 16 episodes, they did dub it later. It still has 64 episodes, and Grand Problem don't count.

Ocean Studios
Dragonball: Never seen much, but seems to be true to the Japanese.
Dragonball Z: I don't know, maybe some of the voices I guess.
Dragonball GT: Stays true to the original more than FUNimation does.

Malaysian and Big Green
Dragonball Z: It is very funny to watch.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:54 am

I pointed this out in the Kai section, but at the moment only the FUNi dub has a new soundtrack for Goku's Super Saiyan transformation. Sure, it gets used later, but it was new when it was used during the transformation. In the original version Toei just re-used a track and they've already used Super Dragon Soul in their recent insert song splurge fest, so props to FUNi on that front.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Big Momma wrote:

"The Game" playing in one of the movies(I think it was 5?) was pretty cool, and indeed the only really good choice of insert music by Funi, even if it didn't fit the series as a whole.

I really like the choice of VA for Emperor Pilaf. That guy did a great job of totally emphasizing the goofiness of the character. Reminded me of Meowth's VA from Pokemon.
IncompetentOverlord wrote: "The Game" playing in one of the movies(I think it was 5?) was pretty cool, and indeed the only really good choice of insert music by Funi, even if it didn't fit the series as a whole.
IncompetentOverlord wrote: "The Game"
:x

Anyway, for what Cell said about his...well, cells, in the dub. I'm pretty sure he mentioned his Saiyan cells making him stronger after that near-death experience.
What did I do wrong? If you are going to criticize me, please tell me exactly what I said that was incorrect. Is that not the song's name? Or do you just not like that song?
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:24 pm

I'm starting very late here.

What've they done right?

The original dub of DBZ movies 1-3.

How could you not see that coming from me?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Snip
What did I do wrong? If you are going to criticize me, please tell me exactly what I said that was incorrect. Is that not the song's name? Or do you just not like that song?
It's because everyone who read your post just lost the game.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:42 am

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:I pointed this out in the Kai section, but at the moment only the FUNi dub has a new soundtrack for Goku's Super Saiyan transformation. Sure, it gets used later, but it was new when it was used during the transformation. In the original version Toei just re-used a track and they've already used Super Dragon Soul in their recent insert song splurge fest, so props to FUNi on that front.
Good point. Something I've always felt actually about the post-Ocean dub (CN's "Season 3") scores, was that the music itself was always pretty awesome to listen to. With the exception of a few tracks, it never meshed well with the show. It just feels very foreign to Dragonball. Shunsuke's scores just made the show - no doubt about it.

If I just went against your point, I didn't mean to. :D If I recall correctly, the score used for that partiuclar scene was pretty awesome - so it works out.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:22 am

I had been told by most that the DB dub was much better than the DBZ dub and what not, and I see a lot of people saying the same thing here, so I bit the bullet and watched it recently, and I have to say I disagree.

a lot of REALLY stupid script changes have happened. Even on the uncut DVDs, Oolong still asks the dragon for "The most comfortable underwear in the world" and he's still upset that its "Girls Underwear", and in the cave with General Blue, instead of saying "You must be Gay!" to him, she says "I'm very dangerous you know, I know Sumo!"
I was just like "...Did they screw up and accidentally use the same lines for the uncut Dub as the TV broadcast dub?... Why are they removing these sexual references here when there's gonna be PLENTY later during Kamesen'nin's next scene with Lunch?!..."

It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Also, for everyone talking about the Cell ad-lib, I dont remember the Japanese version too well, but if they did ad-lib in that fix and it wasn't there in Japanese, then good on FUNi (For a change)

I think as a whole the multitude of mistakes FUNi made makes the dub rather horrible, but I don't agree with the people coming into this thread and saying "Well, that's a few good things, but they still messed up Gero as the leader and Tao as a General, that makes the Kamehameha fix void".
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:24 am

Something the tv dub did right was that they directly referenced death by using the word "kill". The Bandai shows like Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star which many consider to have better dubs weren't allowed to use the word "kill" at all for the most part.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 am

Super Sonic wrote:Something the tv dub did right was that they directly referenced death by using the word "kill". The Bandai shows like Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star which many consider to have better dubs weren't allowed to use the word "kill" at all for the most part.
Well, let's be fair here. While the TV version of Gundam Wing (I never watched the TV version of Outlaw Star) may not have used the word "kill," that was dubbed back in 1999-2000. And back then, DBZ wasn't exactly consistent in its use either. Sure, FUNimation may have loosened up a bit (as did Toonami) as time went on with the dub, but back in 2000...yeah. Plus, Bandai was offering a genuine uncut release back then. Whereas FUNimation gave us...well, "friggin."
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:01 am

DemonRin wrote:I was just like "...Did they screw up and accidentally use the same lines for the uncut Dub as the TV broadcast dub?... Why are they removing these sexual references here when there's gonna be PLENTY later during Kamesen'nin's next scene with Lunch?!..."
FUNimation's idea of an uncut dub is having all the footage intact, and that's it. The scripts have always been nearly identical to the TV edited versions.
-Rachel

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GreggMays64 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:56 am

I am suprised that nobody mentioned the referee in the tournment saga's. From what I've remembered from the Japanese version and the English version was that the Englsih voice for the rerferee sounds like his Japanese voice speaking English.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:19 am

DemonRin wrote:I had been told by most that the DB dub was much better than the DBZ dub and what not, and I see a lot of people saying the same thing here, so I bit the bullet and watched it recently, and I have to say I disagree.

a lot of REALLY stupid script changes have happened. Even on the uncut DVDs, Oolong still asks the dragon for "The most comfortable underwear in the world" and he's still upset that its "Girls Underwear", and in the cave with General Blue, instead of saying "You must be Gay!" to him, she says "I'm very dangerous you know, I know Sumo!"
I was just like "...Did they screw up and accidentally use the same lines for the uncut Dub as the TV broadcast dub?... Why are they removing these sexual references here when there's gonna be PLENTY later during Kamesen'nin's next scene with Lunch?!..."

It just rubbed me the wrong way.
I think that many of us here are referring to DB's overall consistency wih performance and tone - and that just about all of it was very wonderfully intact. As long as there is a FUNi with a TV edit, however...there will be lines that will be painful to hear. I'm sorry. Not only that, but some subject matters are just...different from there to hear, give or take twenty years. I mean, yeah... I sure as hell think they should stay true to the script, but obviously, they don't share the same point of views. As most of America does with itself. XD DEMOCRACY!

Sort of gets my hopes up for the Kai localization... a TV edit may destroy it though. Unless played on Adult Swim...which makes absolutely no sense, but if you know Cartoon Network, you know that it'd be the only time slot that would work for those guys. It sucks, I know.
MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:Something the tv dub did right was that they directly referenced death by using the word "kill". The Bandai shows like Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star which many consider to have better dubs weren't allowed to use the word "kill" at all for the most part.
Well, let's be fair here. While the TV version of Gundam Wing (I never watched the TV version of Outlaw Star) may not have used the word "kill," that was dubbed back in 1999-2000. And back then, DBZ wasn't exactly consistent in its use either. Sure, FUNimation may have loosened up a bit (as did Toonami) as time went on with the dub, but back in 2000...yeah. Plus, Bandai was offering a genuine uncut release back then. Whereas FUNimation gave us...well, "friggin."
...>__>...<__<...>__>

...i just watched the Gundam Wing dub the other day on DVD, and it fucking ROCKED. Not only that, but they mentioned death, "kill", and cursed as much or more than the original script did. You guys never saw the uncut dub, did you...? Or the version they played on the Midnight Run perhaps...?
GreggMays64 wrote:I am suprised that nobody mentioned the referee in the tournment saga's. From what I've remembered from the Japanese version and the English version was that the Englsih voice for the rerferee sounds like his Japanese voice speaking English.
You get a large cookie. :mrgreen: That's a fantastic point I had forgotten. I loved his English counterpart.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:25 am

Lunaar wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote: Well, let's be fair here. While the TV version of Gundam Wing (I never watched the TV version of Outlaw Star) may not have used the word "kill," that was dubbed back in 1999-2000. And back then, DBZ wasn't exactly consistent in its use either. Sure, FUNimation may have loosened up a bit (as did Toonami) as time went on with the dub, but back in 2000...yeah. Plus, Bandai was offering a genuine uncut release back then. Whereas FUNimation gave us...well, "friggin."
...>__>...<__<...>__>

...i just watched the Gundam Wing dub the other day on DVD, and it fucking ROCKED. Not only that, but they mentioned death, "kill", and cursed as much or more than the original script did. You guys never saw the uncut dub, did you...? Or the version they played on the Midnight Run perhaps...?
Emphasis added. :P

I was talking about the daytime airings, which is what I think Super Sonic was referring to as well. Personally, I've owned the DVD release of Gundam Wing since...err, 2002 or so (including Endless Waltz). So yes, I've seen the dub uncut. Quite a bit at that.
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:28 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:I was talking about the daytime airings, which is what I think Super Sonic was referring to as well. Personally, I've owned the DVD release of Gundam Wing since...err, 2002 or so (including Endless Waltz). So yes, I've seen the dub uncut. Quite a bit at that.
Gotcha. I've owned them on the two Box Set releases for a number of years now, maybe since they've been out? Can't quite remember, they were fairly new when I bought them. I've watched all 49 (couldn't they fit in one last episode? damn, 49 feels so...incomplete...maybe that's what Endless Waltz was for.)

ANYWAYS. Topic. Yes. Win. Yay.
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:36 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Stop complaining. At least we got it released uncut and with the original voices on DVD. If 4kids or Nelvana had licensed the series, it would be a different stoty.
If that was the case, then it'd be simple matter of two or three different groups of fans. But because of the English dub, we've got over TWENTY different types of fan groups of the series. Not to mention it's caused all sorts of misinformation to spread around.

You can't deny it. Dragon Ball has caused quite a bit of commotion between fans of what's basically the same series, all due to changes and what not made to it.

At least when it comes to One Piece, you have:

-Total dub hating fans
-4Kids dub hating, FUNi dub loving fans
-FUNi dub hating, 4Kids dub loving fans

Dragon Ball can't even stop there as the fandom goes BEYOND that.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:44 am

Tsukento wrote:...4Kids dub loving fans.
Yes, all four of them. :lol:

I agree with Tsukento, while it's certainly a "thrill" to know we have it uncut over here...we can't ignore that the events leading up to, and what may still occur, have sliced and diced the fandom into a pizza served to mice. Forgive my strange analogies.

For example, when someone just says "Dub Fan" - just who the Hell are you referring to? :shock: There are so many dubs in the english language alone, it's ridiculous. However, all you have to do is say "Sub Fan" and you immediately know what kind of guy there. It could've been simple, yet we have this complicated map of Narnia to navigate for identification of fandom.
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:13 am

I wish I could watch the Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball again, I gave it a miss years ago when it aired on Toonami...

All I remember it had "Son Goku" and "Nyoi-Bo"...