VIZ + FUNimation + Conference Call = "Exciting Things"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

VIZ + FUNimation + Conference Call = "Exciting Things"

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:43 pm

This news is about a month old, but nothing has come of it yet to my knowledge. VIZ Media posted on their Twitter account that some exciting things "are afoot" after having a conference call with FUNimation. VIZ and FUNi have more titles in common than Dragon Ball, but there's no denying that it is one of both their largest properties. So what could VIZ and FUNimation be in talks about?
Well, I think I speak for everybody when I say that the Daizenshuu certainly would be exciting.

This is all just speculation, so what do you think VIZ and FUNi might be planning? We know they're pretty tight with One Piece, but that show is small potatoes comparatively (as it should be) here in the states. Does anybody have any sales figures on the first Daizenshuu? What are the chances FUNi might be willing to throw us more bones after the Dragon Box?

penguintruth
Banned

Re: VIZ + FUNimation + Conference Call = "Exciting Things"

Post by penguintruth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:47 pm

Obviously they're licensing the Filipino English dubs of DBZ movies 5 and 6.

"Gohan... be your father's hero!"
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:52 pm

The Jump OVA. Shueisha is responsible for it, FUNi only has ties with Toei, Viz is Shueisha's North American Baka Gaijin Manga Dump... I definitely think that's a good contender.

Though, I would rather have Daizenshuu.

Or, it's something completely different.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Wow, nice find. This totally flew under the radar.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Ah, I remember this. They might be working together to release Ossu! Son Gokû and Friends Return, as Viz is owned by Shueisha.

Bah, screw that. Give me One Piece: Strong World and Volume #0 combo pack!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:35 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Ah, I remember this. They might be working together to release Ossu! Son Gokû and Friends Return, as Viz is owned by Shueisha.

How about both. I'd like to see them try get the DB OVA released and some One Piece stuffage. With the speed up currently happening, it's definitely possible they're trying to tie in the Strong World film with Volume #0.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Ah, I remember this. They might be working together to release Ossu! Son Gokû and Friends Return, as Viz is owned by Shueisha.

How about both. I'd like to see them try get the DB OVA released and some One Piece stuffage. With the speed up currently happening, it's definitely possible they're trying to tie in the Strong World film with Volume #0.

That would just be amazing. Now that those have been brought up, I can't really think of (read: Want) anything that could come out of this deal.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Has FUNi even put out any other OP movie besides 8? It sure would be weird to just get 10.
Movie 6 > all of it, though.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:02 pm

B wrote:Has FUNi even put out any other OP movie besides 8? It sure would be weird to just get 10.
No they haven't, but considering France and Germany has supposedly already gotten the film, not to mention how huge the release was in Japan I don't doubt they're looking into it.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:32 am

Oh how I would love to be able to purchase the Jump Tour special.... :mrgreen:

I hope it's the special. Or more daizenshuu.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:14 am

I would absolutely LOVE to have the Daizenshuu in America!

The Jump Special seems to be the most likely outcome, and I'd be VERY happy with that. However, one day I would love to have all the Daizenshuu in English.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:37 am

The Daizenshuu or that Jump special feature are the only two things I could think of. I mean, what else could it be? Ani-manga?

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:48 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:The Daizenshuu or that Jump special feature are the only two things I could think of. I mean, what else could it be? Ani-manga?
I almost said this, but I didn't want to be a pessimist. I'd nerd rage so hard if it was ani-manga.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:49 am

I can really only see it being the Jump special? Unless VIZ was skipping ahead to the TV Animation Daizenshuu, why would they need FUNi's involvement in them?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:07 am

JulieYBM wrote:They might be working together to release Ossu! Son Gokû and Friends Return, as Viz is owned by Shueisha.
This is what I'm hoping for. Then again, there still hasn't been a wide stream release for this in Japan yet. Never know I guess. Or perhaps it's Daizenshuu. Looks like we'll be waiting to find out.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:28 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I can really only see it being the Jump special? Unless VIZ was skipping ahead to the TV Animation Daizenshuu, why would they need FUNi's involvement in them?
Well... because FUNi own's the rights to the show, which Viz doesn't. The other Daizenshuu are cluttered with sketches for the show.

EDIT: I pray this isn't happening, but what about Fullmetal Alchemist? The manga is ending in Japan soon and Brotherhood is new hotness that all the kids are creaming their pants over. Anybody who likes that series/pays attention know if there's anything "major" going on with that?

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:54 am

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I especially agree with you about the Strong World and Volume 0 stuff :D

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:55 am

JulieYBM wrote:
B wrote:Has FUNi even put out any other OP movie besides 8? It sure would be weird to just get 10.
No they haven't, but considering France and Germany has supposedly already gotten the film, not to mention how huge the release was in Japan I don't doubt they're looking into it.
Wait ... No One Piece movie was released in Germany. However the TV show aires on and off (currently episode 320 I think).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:07 am

Timo wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Wait ... No One Piece movie was released in Germany. However the TV show aires on and off (currently episode 320 I think).
Oh wow, I thought I had heard of a screening of the tenth film. O.o
She/Her
bisexual milf

jaywonder
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jaywonder » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:30 am

The Jump specials (for Dragon Ball and One Piece), the Daizenshuu, maybe even Dr. Slump...