What keeps you coming back to DragonBall?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What keeps you coming back to DragonBall?

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Rapid get-to-knows and expand more information so I can get to know the series quickly.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:54 pm

The Daizex community is probably the main thing that keeps me coming back to Dragon Ball. It's always nice to know that someone else shares the same passion for Dragon Ball like I do. Even for a series that's been over for 12 years, there's still so much to discuss.

Also, the Japanese version brought a new twist on the series that I was already familiar with. That's one reason why I'm probably still a fan of the series.

Envy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Envy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Yeah, well, I'm really not so sure about this myself.

I think it's just because it's "awesome", trust me, there is no other series out there that I can say I only really cared about the action. I'm a lot more into stories and things like that, but Dragon Ball just has some entertaining action.

After having seen many other series that I personally consider superior I no longer consider it among my favorites, but I'll be willing to watch it and play my copy of Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on occasion. If I had Nicktoons I would totally watch DBKai... but I don't. =( (although I guess it's going to be edited quite a bit anyway.)

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:22 am

Always, always the characters. I absolutely love these boys. The cast is wonderful with its set of personalities and the personal baggage each of them carries intermixed with the good things sometimes hidden in them. As much as someone like Veg drives me nuts half the time I still love his fat head, as much as Son's an utter failure as a family man he's still a delightful manchild. And then you get to people like Piccolo and Yamcha and Gohan who I just adore, even though I still occasionally want to beat Gohan to death with a chair at times. The story may not be the most complex thing in the world but there's still plenty of wonderful development in these boys if you care to look.

The battles and everything are fun, really. But that kind of stuff just can't keep me interested coming on 11 years. Even when I lost interest in the canon for a few years there the boys were still the center of the fandom world I was mixed in and my love for them really never wavered. They always bring me back.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Velasa wrote:Always, always the characters. I absolutely love these boys. The cast is wonderful with its set of personalities and the personal baggage each of them carries intermixed with the good things sometimes hidden in them. As much as someone like Veg drives me nuts half the time I still love his fat head, as much as Son's an utter failure as a family man he's still a delightful manchild. And then you get to people like Piccolo and Yamcha and Gohan who I just adore, even though I still occasionally want to beat Gohan to death with a chair at times. The story may not be the most complex thing in the world but there's still plenty of wonderful development in these boys if you care to look.
Same, don't forget about the great villains. Despite my username being Kid Buu, it really is hard for me to rank them in order from favorite to least favorite due to my attachment to all of them.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Velasa wrote:Always, always the characters. I absolutely love these boys. The cast is wonderful with its set of personalities and the personal baggage each of them carries intermixed with the good things sometimes hidden in them. As much as someone like Veg drives me nuts half the time I still love his fat head, as much as Son's an utter failure as a family man he's still a delightful manchild. And then you get to people like Piccolo and Yamcha and Gohan who I just adore, even though I still occasionally want to beat Gohan to death with a chair at times. The story may not be the most complex thing in the world but there's still plenty of wonderful development in these boys if you care to look.
Same, don't forget about the great villains. Despite my username being Kid Buu, it really is hard for me to rank them in order from favorite to least favorite due to my attachment to all of them.
In addition, I also getting to know Toriyama's other series and works as well as FUNimation's other shows.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:05 am

Unfortunately, after having first been introduced to the series about nine years ago - my interest in the series has dwindled quite a bit... having moved on to other interests and hobbies.. Shows/films that are more serious, deep and detailed tend to be more of my cup of tea anyways.

However, I still appreciate the cast and get nostalgic feelings from those good old times of watching it on YTV and discussing it on Pojo's and whatnot. Also some of the topics here draw me back like others mentioned.
Just Saiyan...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:43 pm

I became a DB fan around the 2000's, and since then I always enjoy the series. Maybe I keep coming back to it due to the fighting, and the video games also.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:28 am

SaiyaMel wrote:However, I still appreciate the cast and get nostalgic feelings from those good old times of watching it on YTV and discussing it on Pojo's and whatnot. Also some of the topics here draw me back like others mentioned.
Ah, Pojo. Those were good times...

Tell shannara to get the hell back if you ever see her again, by the way. She hasn't posted for the past two years or something.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:05 am

What keeps me coming back? Because I love the series in the first place. And that there's still brand new stuff coming out today to hold my appetite for the series. Even the stuff that I don't watch in (like Dragon Ball Kai), it pleases me that DB is still going strong 15 years after it ended. And the Daizex community as well--it's nice to escape from the world every once in a while and talk to people who share my fandom and won't take the piss out of me for watching a "kids' show". It's a comfort zone. I mean, I read the manga lesser and lesser nowadays, but I doesn't mean that I don't still enjoy the series.

I guess there's not much more I can think of to say, frankly. It's like asking why some other fans of series are still interested in that series, even if it's long over. When you like something that much, you'll never get tired of it. That's why other franchises decades old still have a strong fanbase.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:56 pm

I think fan websites like here, MFG, and Gamefaqs keep me coming back to DBZ, too. I remember my early days on Gamefaqs and Gamespot on the Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkachi boards. I remember debating if SSj3 Gotenks is stronger then Goku or not. Good times, and I wounder if anyone there still remembers me. :lol:
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:57 pm

My brother actually brought me back alongside with Dragon Ball Kai..... I'm reading when I'm on WC, actually I can spend here an hour (but don't feel legs after) and sometimes I'll grab manga with me.....
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 am

Well, there's the fact that I have not seen all episodes, plus Kai is there, and I have neither read the entire manga. The games also keep me in.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:51 pm

Most of the characters(Also Toriyama's Superhuman Ability to choreograph ungodly awesome fights). They each have something special to offer. Whether it be through an interesting backstory(Goku and Piccolo) or through a damn fun personality(Tenshinhan and Kuririn). They may not be deep, but these guys stick in my memory incredibly well.

Also important is what DB symbolizes. It embodies the Shonen Jump spirit up to the point of it's creation, and at it's end, it opened the door for series' like Naruto, One Piece, and Tegami Bachi. I also like the fact that it manages to be a show about musclebound meatheads beating the fuck out of one another and you truly care about the character behind the fists of fury.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:24 am

Boredom. Simple as that. Something new DB related is always coming out
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!