Why Cartoon Network didn't get Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Why Cartoon Network didn't get Kai?

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:54 am

In the past 2 years we've been seeing good shows leave Cartoon Network, and even more so anime. Cartoon Network has like 3 anime titles all together and for 1 there not even properly dubbed.. I've watched Yugioh in Japanese and it was a lot better, saw some blood to! Anyways the channel obviously doesn't care about anime to begin with.

If CN did get Kai they'd air it when they actually do run anime, 6 fucking in the morning! I'd rather come home from work like at 7/8PM and watch it than wake up and sleep through it.

I actually think Nicktoons was a better choice for kai, course DBZ should air uncut and subbed on Syfy at 10PM on Tuesdays! I'd love that!!
Avatar did well and it wasn't that bad either, I liked it anyways.. The other reason would be is that Nickelodeon in general is trying to get into anime from Y7-PG range, and would air the program accordingly to it's rating. So Kai will most likely get a PG rating so it'll air at night, like around 8-9PM. Which isn't bad considering DBZ aired on Cartoon Network in the past at 9:30PM.

Cartoon Network is dead BELIEVE IT!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Re: Why Cartoon Netowork didn't get Kai

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:57 am

It's not on Nickelodeon like Avatar was. It's on Nicktoons. It's a spin-off channel with no 3rd party advertisement.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:00 am

Actually, almost all of Nicks animations is heading towards only airing on Nicktoons anyway.
The actual channel shows more live action that ANYTHING else.

Avatar ended up on Nick because Nickelodeon at the time was still into making animation and still is but only for it's animation sister channel. Look at how many new eps that actually air on the cartoons that were made in the last 3 years. Only 60 and that's for 3 shows! Quite poor to say the least.

Also nicktoons is a premium channel, Nickelodeon is not.
Nicktoons used to be a everyday channel back in the day^O^
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:38 am

It's pretty obvious that CN doesn't really care about anime anymore. Also, something not exactly too obvious yet, is the idea that Viacom and Nickelodeon (the company, not the channel) is trying to bring back some of the young male viewership that's been declining on their channels over the years. It's part of why they bought TMNT back in October and why they're building up a new action block.

So, Nicktoons probably got Kai because they had the money to spend, CN wasn't interested, Disney already has their big Shonen (Naruto: Shippuden), and Syfy generally airs stuff that seems to be aimed at a bit older of an audience.

Why isn't this in the Kai forum?!
It is now, hooray! - Desiré
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:36 am

Because FUNi probably did not offer it to CN.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:25 am

B wrote:Because FUNi probably did not offer it to CN.
I imagine they offered it to everyone, but either Nick offered the most money for the series, or CN turned them down. We'll probably never know, but I can't imagine they wouldn't even offer it to CN.

Horray. I don't get Nicktoons! ;p
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm

While we honestly have no idea if FUNi went to CN asking for Dragonball Kai to be put on TV, I still do wonder what CN would have (possibly did) say/think when deciding on if they would pick up this show.

Oh well, hopefully it'll do fine on Nicktoons.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:26 pm

Was it really a good idea to put it on Nicktoons? It costs extra to have that channel, so not everyone that wants to watch it can. I'm hugely disappointed. Blah...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Dragon Ball probably doesn't have the kind of mainstream clout anymore to (in networks' minds, at least) warrant being put on a mainstream cable channel. The flop that was DBE probably didn't help matters either. Despite the fact that it was a complete turd (eh, I'm stating heresay as I never actually saw it), had it been released in, say, 2000, it probably would have done much, much better than it did. But the fact that it didn't do well probably set off some red flags (warranted or not) in the minds of potential networks.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:54 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Was it really a good idea to put it on Nicktoons? It costs extra to have that channel, so not everyone that wants to watch it can. I'm hugely disappointed. Blah...
Translation: "I don't have Nicktoons therefore putting it on Nicktoons was a bad idea." :P

Nicktoons probably paid a lot of money for the show because they're trying to get more boys to watch their channels again by building up a really nice action block of cartoons.
(they/she)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 am

Kendamu wrote:Translation: "I don't have Nicktoons therefore putting it on Nicktoons was a bad idea." :P
Exactly! :D But I still think it would be better on a channel that more people have. I was everyone to be able to watch it.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Re: Why Cartoon Network didn't get Kai?

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:21 pm

I want to smack Cartoon Network. Their anti-anime mind set is really starting to annoy me, ESPECIALLY since they don't have any decent shows of their own. It's all profit reasons too, they can't make any money off of the DVDs, Blu-Rays or video games so it's not worth having on their network. I like Nicktoons so I'm find with it being on there(Come on Wolverine and the X-men/ Dragonball Kai action block!!!). It still doesn't feel right though, it's almost like cheating on your girlfriend.

Also if you don't have Nicktoons, their is a good chance the show might end up on PSN. There is both a Funimation Chanel and a Nicktoons Channel and most episodes only cost $1.99.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:18 pm

I have Nicktoons.

But I'm really annoyed that this is on Nicktoons. Not because I think Nicktoons won't treat it with as much respect as CN would have back in the day (though I doubt they will be as excited), but because it should have been a lock for the network that made DBZ popular in America, and it's possible they didn't even want it.

Nicktoons is a channel that a lot of people don't have. I was surprised that I had it, actually. I can't even recall what number the channel is. I can see where the frustration is that it's on some obscure channel. It's not even on Nick proper.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:36 pm

I thought that Nick proper didn't have a whole lot of animated stuff anymore.
(they/she)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Ooh, that inspires me. I totally think that Nickelodeon's next offshoot channel should be called Nick Proper.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Ooh, that inspires me. I totally think that Nickelodeon's next offshoot channel should be called Nick Proper.
Does that mean it'll air Doug, Pete & Pete, and Salute Your Shorts?

EDIT: Fuck you, Gaffer Tape. j/k
Last edited by Kendamu on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(they/she)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Ooh, I'm not familiar with Pere and Pete. Is that as awesome as Pete and Pete?

But, yes, that's exactly what it would be. And it would also have healthy doses of You Can't Do That on Television.

And the whole network would be hosted by its mascot: Nick Proper, a suave, debonair British secret agent... who's legally distinct from that other suave, debonair British secret agent... Smash Adams!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Or we could just get Stick Stickley back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrw38tTX04
(they/she)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Great, now I'm nostalgia-ing hard for the older days of Nick.

Nick-nick-nick, nick-nick-nick, Nickelodeon!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Kendamu wrote:Or we could just get Stick Stickley back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrw38tTX04
Isn't that the same guy who voices that weird moose on Noggin with antlers in his ears?
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.