#17 Donating to the Genki-Dama?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

#17 Donating to the Genki-Dama?

Post by DBZimran » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:02 am

Right, after watching the 'Kid Buu Saga' I noticed Android 17 giving a hand to Goku helping him with the 'Spirit Bomb'. Here, I took a screenshot of him:

Wait, did I miss something? He was absorbed by Cell, and Android 18 only survived because she was thrown up by Cell during the 'Cell Games'. I'm truly at a loss for words here.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Android 17 Kid Buu SAGA???

Post by B » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:05 am

They wished everyone killed by Cell back to life. 17 was inside Cell. And died.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:07 am

B wrote:They wished everyone killed by Cell back to life. 17 was inside Cell. And died.
OMG! As simple as that man :lol:.
Thanks.

(This is what exams do to you :shock:)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:11 am

He was revived when they revived everyone that Cell killed. It was even mentioned at that time that he should have been revived.

#17 was a perfectly normal human being before being turned into an cyborg and, even after becoming an cyborg, he is basically just an human being with many complex mechanisms inside him. That is also the reason why #18 is able to be a mother.

That being said, it makes perfect sense that the Dragon was able to revive him since he was a living being that was killed because of Cell.

Such is not the case with #16 because he was never "alive" to begin with. He is simply an android, a robot. A very intelligent one indeed, but it makes sense that Dragon wasn`t able to rebuild him with the "revive all those who Cell killed" wish.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:16 am

rereboy wrote:Such is not the case with #16 because he was never "alive" to begin with. He is simply an android, a robot. A very intelligent one indeed, but it makes sense that Dragon wasn`t able to rebuild him with the "revive all those who Cell killed" wish.
Makes sense. Great elaboration by the way :D . What a shame #16 would make a great 'Z fighter'.

hleV
Banned

Re: #17 Donating to the Genki-Dama?

Post by hleV » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:23 am

Gohan killed #17, who was in Cell.

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:35 am

hleV wrote:Gohan killed #17, who was in Cell.
Good point.

But, maybe..

Cell killed 17 by blowing himself up before?
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 am

Booney wrote:
hleV wrote:Gohan killed #17, who was in Cell.
Good point.

But, maybe..

Cell killed 17 by blowing himself up before?
As rereboy said, #17 was killed "because of Cell". I think that counts.

Anyway if we go deeper into this, #17 was killed when Cell self-destructed. However he regenerated, but we don't know if #17 was regenerated and needed for Cell anymore (as #18 was obviously not needed).

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Wasn't this originally supposed to be Lunch?
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:47 pm

Yes, but now it's not, and Lunch is busy driving a trunk. Maybe she finally got a real job? or transformed in after a heist? I dunno, trivial details for only a few seconds of footage.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:18 pm

Blue wrote:Wasn't this originally supposed to be Lunch?
Yeah, Toriyama mentions that in Daizenshuu 7. This may explain why No.17 says it's been a long time since he's heard Goku's voice, when they've never actually met. The line makes much more sense if Lunch were the one saying it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Herms wrote:
Yeah, Toriyama mentions that in Daizenshuu 7. This may explain why No.17 says it's been a long time since he's heard Goku's voice, when they've never actually met. The line makes much more sense if Lunch were the one saying it.
Do elaborate. Why was it changed from Lunch to #17? Hadn't our ol' Toriyama long-forgetten her by then anyway? :?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:46 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Herms wrote:
Do elaborate. Why was it changed from Lunch to #17? Hadn't our ol' Toriyama long-forgetten her by then anyway? :?
Nope. If you note the clothing, #17's clothes match Lunch's final appearance's (the single page one-shot in the Namek saga) clothes. The Daizenshuu blurb explains he thought nobody would remember Lunch, so he changed to #17 in mid-design. This reasoning always bugged me, because even if you went by tankobon and not WJ issues, you'd have still seen Lunch in the 23rd budokai, while Upa and #8 are last seen prior to the 22nd.

EDIT: Just now realized #17's clothing's not the same in the anime version as in the manga... :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Clockwork00

Post by Clockwork00 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:15 pm

Dayspring wrote:Nope. If you note the clothing, #17's clothes match Lunch's final appearance's (the single page one-shot in the Namek saga) clothes. The Daizenshuu blurb explains he thought nobody would remember Lunch, so he changed to #17 in mid-design. This reasoning always bugged me, because even if you went by tankobon and not WJ issues, you'd have still seen Lunch in the 23rd budokai, while Upa and #8 are last seen prior to the 22nd.

EDIT: Just now realized #17's clothing's not the same in the anime version as in the manga... :P
That kinda makes me sad haha. I sure remember her. So I'm guessing she didn't appear giving energy in the manga as she did in the anime?

Also, scans of his clothing perhaps?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Dayspring wrote:The Daizenshuu blurb explains he thought nobody would remember Lunch, so he changed to #17 in mid-design. This reasoning always bugged me, because even if you went by tankobon and not WJ issues, you'd have still seen Lunch in the 23rd budokai, while Upa and #8 are last seen prior to the 22nd.
Does it really say that was the reason in the French translation of Daizenshuu 7? Because that's not anyway in the original. The whole thing goes like this:
Where did Lunch go?
Lunch went off to chase after Tenshinhan. Tenshinhan and Chaozu move around from region to region as they train, so she’s can’t manage to meet up with them at all. They really do a great job of giving her the slip. When No.17 appeared near the final chapter, in the rough draft he had actually been Lunch.

[picture of Bulma asking Kuririn where Lunch is, along with a picture of #17 from the end of the series] No.17’s line near the final chapter makes sense if you think of it as being Lunch’s line.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:55 pm

So does the no.17 that brought back to life a human or an android?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Cyborg, I see no reason he wouldn't be returned exactly as he died. Plus the whole Shenlong removing the bomb from his body seems pointless if he's not a cyborg anymore.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Herms wrote:
Dayspring wrote:The Daizenshuu blurb explains he thought nobody would remember Lunch, so he changed to #17 in mid-design. This reasoning always bugged me, because even if you went by tankobon and not WJ issues, you'd have still seen Lunch in the 23rd budokai, while Upa and #8 are last seen prior to the 22nd.
Does it really say that was the reason in the French translation of Daizenshuu 7? Because that's not anyway in the original. The whole thing goes like this:
Where did Lunch go?
Lunch went off to chase after Tenshinhan. Tenshinhan and Chaozu move around from region to region as they train, so she’s can’t manage to meet up with them at all. They really do a great job of giving her the slip. When No.17 appeared near the final chapter, in the rough draft he had actually been Lunch.

[picture of Bulma asking Kuririn where Lunch is, along with a picture of #17 from the end of the series] No.17’s line near the final chapter makes sense if you think of it as being Lunch’s line.
WTF, seriously?! Because I was told off countless times on these forums for trusting the French version for having those exact lines. In other words, I was told the Japanese version was the one that said he forgot.

On related note, what does her bio in the anime/filler portion of her bio call Blonde Lunch (it's a blurb talking about The Sleeping Princess movie)? The French has (...)où, transformée en Lunch "furie," elle tente(...), which would be '(...)where, transformed into "fury" Lunch, she tries(...)' In French, "fury" placed like that is equally awkward a read, so I was wondering if this was some sort of official nickname given to her blonde form.
-Parenthetical ellipses put to show I grabbed part of a sentence; they're not randomly there in the French version. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:11 am

ah damn, I thought the outfit 17 wore in that final scene was the same outfit he wore in GT.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:15 am

Coola Yagami wrote:ah damn, I thought the outfit 17 wore in that final scene was the same outfit he wore in GT.
It is!