Proof of Toriyama's Change of Style for Gohan

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Proof of Toriyama's Change of Style for Gohan

Post by Nazi Cola » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:42 pm

We've all noticed that Mr. Toriyama changed the look of Gohan's SSjin form from the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai onward, but what solid proof is there? Any interviews, statements, guidebook excerpts?

The only solid thing I can think of is the instance where Gohan goes SSjin during Videl's beating by Spopovich... yet for some people, that's not enough. They need more. So yeah, tis why I'm requesting, as always.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Re: Proof of Akira's Change of Style for Gohan

Post by Son_Gohan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:48 pm

None, as far as I know.

Although in my personal opinion, he was a SSJ2 there.

*gets shield ready*

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:05 pm

I have to agree.
I know it wasn't shown that way on the pages, and the dialogue afterward would make no sense if he already tapped SS2 in front of Kaioshin and Kibito. But as mad as he was getting over a girl he just hadn't admitted he was in love with yet, he should have snapped like at the Cell Game.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:07 pm

I think the biggest change on Gohan's traces was before the rou kaioushin's power up.

The eyelines changed permanently.

Before that "transformation", the eyelines looked like Goku's eyes. Not full contorned.
After that "transformation", the eyelines looked like Vegeta's eyes. Full contorned.

EDIT:

Gohan's eyes.
Before and after the power up.
With Goku and Vegeta images to compare the traces.

After that, Gohan never apears again with "opened" eyes like Goku on manga.
Last edited by EnmaDaiou on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capsule Corporation - New layout!!
Trying to be a great Brazilian portuguese DB site.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Don't try to convince people who are too stubborn to understand there was a change, dude.

It's clear his hairstyle was changed from the training with Goten to the 25th Budokai.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:24 pm

EnmaDaiou wrote:I think the biggest change on Gohan's traces was before the rou kaioushin's power up.

The eyelines changed permanently.

Before that "transformation", the eyelines looked like Goku's eyes. Not full contorned.
After that "transformation", the eyelines looked like Vegeta's eyes. Full contorned.

EDIT:

Gohan's eyes.
Before and after the power up.
With Goku and Vegeta images to compare the traces.

After that, Gohan never apears again with "opened" eyes like Goku on manga.
I never liked how Toriyama changed the eyes. It took away some of the innocence.
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Proof of Toriyama's Change of Style for Gohan

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:29 pm

I definitely admit that Gohan got a style change for his base hair before the tournament. He went from looking like Sonic the Hedgehog with the hair spiked towards the back to his hair spiked upward like Yamcha from the Cell Game, though with a bang.

Though debates about the change in SS hair style and "SS or SS2 here" type stuff is a different matter.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Cowboy Dev wrote:I never liked how Toriyama changed the eyes. It took away some of the innocence.
That's the whole point. "Innocent" characters like Goku and Gohan have those eyes when they're normal, but going Super Saiyan (or in Gohan's case, his "Ultimate" state) gives them more "intense" attitudes and the style change in the eyes goes along with it. Whereas other characters like Vegeta were never particularly "innocent" to begin with and thus always have the "closed-border" eyes. It's a trend you can see in all of Toriyama's stuff.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:41 pm

I can't really see what Gohan's eyes have to do with the main question, really.

We don't really know a reason why Toriyama changed Gohan's hairstyle. Gohan in Buu arc. is a big mystery.

BTW I think Toriyama explained that he drew eyes like that to show one's pureness. However when Ginyu took Goku's body, eyes remained the same. TOEI also made Turles (what? Did forum automatically change Turles to Turles?! Kewl) with that kind of eyes.
When Gohan tried to go Super Saiyan in order to unlock his hidden powers, his eyes changed. He actually reached his full potential (which is probably full-power fully-mastered Super Saiyan 3) without actually transforming, however he tapped into that power and was no longer so pure (as noone in Super Saiyan form is).

jackjack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jackjack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:43 pm

The daizenshuu has "THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR / VOL. 41".

Does that mean he lost his 'mystic' power up after he had been brought back to life?

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:49 pm

I doubt it.

I also don't think it would make sense to label him as "THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR/FATHER" in the following volume, either. Could've gave him the + sign, tho.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:25 am

Vegeta once mentioned that a Saiyan is more aggressive when transformed, if Gohan is technically at the peak of his Super Saiyan abilities (without having to be Super Saiyan), perhaps it is the natural aggressiveness of this form which has changed his eyes, and his personality (and Piccolo said, he appeared much more confident when ready to fight Boo).
Oh, and obviously his hair appears to be Super Saiyan also (without the golden colour).

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:50 am

Rory wrote:Oh, and obviously his hair appears to be Super Saiyan also (without the golden colour).
There are some strange things about Gohan's hair.

When he tapped into his hidden powers, his hair didn't change.

Image Image

But once he started flying toward Buu, his hair changed. The beginning of the forehead-bang got pushed up as it had never been in any Super Saiyan form of Gohan's. It's more like a Super Saiyan 3 forehead-bang-push-up. But that's just me. However the small hair made of a single line still remained, except for the forehead one.

Image Image

After Gohan was resurrected, his hair became normal again.

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 pm

He styled his hair with some hairgel before facing Buu.
You can't fight the embodiment of evil with messie hair and a weird outfit.

I thought that was common knowledge? :roll:
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:18 pm

Booney wrote:You can't fight the embodiment of evil with messie hair and a weird outfit.
Square Enix wants us to believe otherwise. :wink:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:13 pm

hleV wrote:
Rory wrote:Oh, and obviously his hair appears to be Super Saiyan also (without the golden colour).
There are some strange things about Gohan's hair.

When he tapped into his hidden powers, his hair didn't change.

PICS

But once he started flying toward Buu, his hair changed. The beginning of the forehead-bang got pushed up as it had never been in any Super Saiyan form of Gohan's. It's more like a Super Saiyan 3 forehead-bang-push-up. But that's just me. However the small hair made of a single line still remained, except for the forehead one.

PICS

After Gohan was resurrected, his hair became normal again.
It's not that strange. It makes his long bang/angular lock of hair seem more sharp by making it more pronounced. Remember that the sharper the eyes and hair, the more "intense" the character is being. That's why some moment have SSJ hair as one big ball of white in gag situations, whereas serious moments are so defined we argue whether or not it's SSJ2 hair.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm sure a lot of these things are just a matter of Toriyama going, "oh hey, he looks a little cooler if I draw his hair like THIS."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:53 pm

Nazi Cola wrote:We've all noticed that Mr. Toriyama changed the look of Gohan's SSjin form from the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai onward, but what solid proof is there? Any interviews, statements, guidebook excerpts?

The only solid thing I can think of is the instance where Gohan goes SSjin during Videl's beating by Spopovich... yet for some people, that's not enough. They need more. So yeah, tis why I'm requesting, as always.
1) Is this something you think a guide book would really talk about? It's something only fans with way too much time on their hands talk about.

2) Why would anybody need any other proof? If you can see that Gohan's hair is different during the 25th Tenkaichi-Budokai, does another source really need to point that out? That's like saying you need a guide book to prove that a Super Saiyan has golden hair.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Sorry for inconveniencing you if I have, but some people are stubs and I was just looking for extra proof.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:24 pm

No, I was really just calling those other guys ridiculous. Sorry if it sounded like I was being pissy with you. ^.^
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?