"Raging Blast 2" Gigantic On-Going Gaming Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: "Raging Blast 2" Pre-Release Discussion

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 am

Eddie wrote:People, I've gotta say a few things. A few of the comments lately have had me scratching my head. I'm talking, you may have guessed, about this whole sub only outcry. Before any dub fans ignore this as "just another subbie trying to force his opinions on me" please keep this in mind: I (with a few exceptions) like the dub voices. There are a select few characters with dub voices that I :gasp: PREFER OVER THE ORIGINAL! :shock: Nowadays I mostly watch the anime subbed. I do, for a few reasons, play the games dubbed the vast majority of the time, though. I have no problem with the idea of having a dubbed feature. I would like for it to be on there, as long as subbed Japanese was also available. Now that I've got that out of the way, let's get to my real points for this post.
First, I want to relate this situation to something else that is a great love of mine, Final Fantasy VII. I'm a big fan of the game and its sequels/prequels. Advent Children (original & Complete) was fantastic in my highly biased opinion. I do enjoy the original performances. I've seen the movie in Japanese multiple times. That being said, I primarily watch it dubbed. I love the dubs that the Final Fantasy VII projects have received. Steve Blum as Vincent was great IMO, I really enjoyed George Newbern as Sephiroth, and Quinton Flynn was terrific as Reno. I hated Aerith and Cait Sith's voices, but the pros outweighed the cons for me. Again, just my opinions. I really like the dub. On the DVD of Advent Children, the special features weren't dubbed. That didn't affect my enjoyment of them in the slightest. To be fair, the special features on the initial DVD only had a few moments that could have really been dubbed, so the initial release may not be the best example. Don't worry, though. I promise I'm going somewhere with this. :) After the initial release of the movie in the US, it was rereleased in a Collectors Edition box set. This edition came with a 25 minute OVA (Starting to sound familiar?). While this was released on a dvd in an english speaking country, on an english release, with a popular dubbed main feature the OVA did not include a dub. This did not affect my enjoyment at all. Did it have my preferred cast? No. It was still fun to watch. It was still understandable (well, as understandable as a Final Fantasy VII related project can be :P ), despite the fact that I know damn near nothing of the language. Ah, the magic of subtitles... well, more on that in a bit. This situation would basically repeat itself a few years later with the release of Advent Children Complete. Once again, an OVA was included. Once again, no dub was included. The idea that this Dragon Ball situation is unique is, to be frank, ridiculous and a bit ignorant. Final Fantasy dubs are fairly popular, yet S-E released sub only special features. Special features that are pretty damn similar to the Dragon Ball feature we're discussing. The "Why would an english release have features that aren't in english? That's stupid!" stance really doesn't have much merit.
Now for my second point. Due to what I'm going to say, I am going to reiterate that I am pro dub. Please remember this before you get pissed off. I have a question for those of you who refuse to watch anything with subtitles. How the hell are subtitles an issue? I get the whole preferred cast thing. Really, I do. This isn't about that. This is about the preposterous suggestion that you can't enjoy something if it has subtitles. You can read. You're reading right now. You may be rolling your eyes and calling me a jackass while you're doing it, but you're still reading. People all over the world read subtitles while watching various things. How do you plan to get through life without getting over such stubborn ideas? Elderly/deaf people watch all kinds of programs with closed captions on. What are you going to do when you get old and the hearing aid goes out? "Oh shit! Letterman's head-in-a-jar just said something funny, I just know he did. Damn this cursed inability to read captions whilst watching a screen! Damn it to Hell!" I can completely understand not liking the voice cast in the original version. I don't agree with that opinion, but I can understand it. I can't understand how reading subtitles can be a problem, barring unfortunate medical circumstances.
Well, that's what I wanted to say. I apologize if it was too long, but hey, if you got through this just imagine how entertaining those subs will be in comparison! :P
My problem with having it in japanese and subbed is well 1. I don't want to have to read while I'm watching a 30 minute movie and 2. I don't know Japanese so for me to understand anything thats going on, I would HAVE to read to know what is happening.

@Makaioshin: I mean that if Japan is SUbbing the OVA AND game and the US is Dubbing the game, why can't they dub the movie as well.
Last edited by LeprikanGT on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:08 am

I'm a fan of the Dub, but I can tolerate reading subtitles. Hell, I watch the Japanese version of Kai from time to time since the Dub isn't as far, and its not bad by any means. I just prefer to watch things in my own language above having to read dialog of any kind (the fact that I can't really multitask while watching things subbed also comes into play here). Another thing to note is that while I'm reading the subs, I simply imagine the dub voices speaking the lines (though this may be a subconscious at work). After over a decade of exposure to most of the voices it really isn't that difficult.

In any case, the lack of a dub isn't really a deal breaker - the possibility of a dub wasn't even a deal maker to begin with. I'll only consider buying this if a Goku vs. Piccolo fight in the demo (which the demo's roster will likely comprise of) is more impressive than a Goku vs. Piccolo fight in Meteor, and only when the price drops significantly.
Last edited by Zephyr on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:10 am

Makaioshin wrote:the plot has presumably changed
Since when?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:11 am

Somewhere in the interviews and info there was a mention of some plot change since they are cutting out half of the OVA.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:27 am

LeprikanGT wrote: @Makaioshin: I mean that if Japan is SUbbing the OVA AND game and the US is Dubbing the game, why can't they dub the movie as well.
I'm sure someone else would have a better answer but there wouldn't be time to dub it unless they rushed it. VegettoEX and Marc talked about it in the podcast.

Goku100xKamehameha wrote: Since when?
They are cutting it down from 60 minutes to 30 minutes it have to change ever so slightly.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:28 am

How could there not be time? They still have MONTHS before it ships and theres been no talk about it going Gold yet even. Voicing the entire disc should be part of the process of making the game and they should make a release date accordingly.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:38 am

LeprikanGT wrote:How could there not be time? They still have MONTHS before it ships and theres been no talk about it going Gold yet even.
Like I said, someone else could give you a better answer. I just remembered that that was what Marc had said about it in the podcast when he made his guess that it would be subbed only and would be released on DVD eventually.
Voicing the entire disc should be part of the process of making the game and they should make a release date accordingly.
Its not part of the actual game though, its a bonus. As Eddie said, it wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 am

I'd rather not have it than have it and have it half assed and have to read to know whats going on.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 am

LeprikanGT wrote:I'd rather not have it than have it and have it half assed and have to read to know whats going on.
Not everyone feels that way, of course.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:02 am

LeprikanGT wrote:I'd rather not have it than have it and have it half assed and have to read to know whats going on.
Really? :?

I mean...I agree with you that it should be dubbed, if only for consistency's sake (I mean...most people who buy this in the US will play the entire thing through in English...then have to watch this subbed.), but to rather it be completely gone instead of having it with subtitles? Just be grateful we're actually getting this remake, man. Stop complaining about having to read subtitles because, honestly, it's not really that bad. I thousands, heck, maybe even millions of Americans can do it...so can you.

And it's FUNi isn't being lazy by not dubbing this, they may not be able to. I'm almost 100% that, if they were able to get it dubbed for the games release, then they would. At the very least, they said it may get dubbed eventually.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:04 am

Yes, I know.

Just the idea itself of it NOT having a Dub track is something I cannot wrap my mind around on so many levels.
Last edited by LeprikanGT on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:07 am

You'd rather have everyone looking forward to the subbed version be deprived of the animation just because you don't want to read subtitles? :?
If you don't mind my asking, did you read my earlier post? Can you give me a good explanation as to why special features should be dubbed, history be damned? Is there a genuine reason that you are unable to read subtitles? Does the world revolve around you? Is that why foreign companies are expected to scrap things you don't approve of?

EDIT- Just saw your new post. You could try pressing mute & pretending it's an animated comic if you hate the audio. You could even put some Faulconer music on.
Last edited by Eddie on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:09 am

Eddie wrote:
You'd rather have everyone looking forward to the subbed version be deprived of the animation just because you don't want to read subtitles? :?
If you don't mind my asking, did you read my earlier post? Can you give me a good explanation as to why special features should be dubbed, history be damned? Is there a genuine reason that you are unable to read subtitles? Does the world revolve around you? Is that why foreign companies are expected to scrap things you don't approve of?
My other point was I will not be able to enjoy it. I can not stand in the least the JP voice acting. It may be 'over-American' of me but I just can't handle all the high pitched trilly voices....so why would I want to watch something I can't audibly enjoy?

So simply put, If I can't stand to hear the OVA, how will I be able to enjoy it? If I can't enjoy it, I'd rather not have it.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:28 am

LeprikanGT wrote:
Eddie wrote:
My other point was I will not be able to enjoy it. I can not stand in the least the JP voice acting. It may be 'over-American' of me but I just can't handle all the high pitched trilly voices....so why would I want to watch something I can't audibly enjoy?

So simply put, If I can't stand to hear the OVA, how will I be able to enjoy it? If I can't enjoy it, I'd rather not have it.
Well with all do respect here is a suggestion. Don't watch it! Or you can mute it as someone else above suggested and put some of your preferred music in the background.

I am surprised this is even coming to North America and let alone subtitled only. This is a shock too that its even coming here without a dub (if that ends up being the case) since about 10 years ago if this were to happen then the OVA wouldn't come if it wasn't dubbed.

I understand though that dub fans are upset but at the end of the day you can hope a DVD will come out in the future with the dub. Just be happy that we are getting something.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:00 am

Right, let's try it this way. Where's my Portuguese dub and why the hell should I sit through your horrible English dub?

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:12 am

Taku128 wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:When I first heard and saw they were redrawing the special for raging Blast 2 I assumed since EVERY single other PS2 and PS3 DBZ game got English voices that this special would do the same.

I don't want an episode of me having to read something subbed. If they are going to release it in English speaking countries and have EVERYTHING else in the game have english voices, they shouldn't half ass the special.

Does Hatchiyack not make ANY sounds in the game or are they going to use the JP voice for him in the English track? They should have finished what they started and got the lisence to voice the special before they released the game. Thats wasted space on the game disc to me now.

Do we HAVE to watch the entire thing to get the bonus character? That's going to be painful to sit through now.

For as excited as I was about this game yesterday, I'm that much more disappointed by there less than full attempt at bringing the special 'to the masses'.
This post is hilarious. Makaioshin covered most of it, but I'd just like to point out that most games don't even use all of the space on the disc, and Raging Blast 2 certainly won't. They aren't sacrificing anything to be able to fit thirty minutes of animation on the disc.
So the special is not taking up any memory at all on the disc. Wow technology today./sarcasm

The Special was never a selling point for me so I really don't care.
DNA wrote:Right, let's try it this way. Where's my Portuguese dub and why the hell should I sit through your horrible English dub?
Because your a smaller market.

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:27 am

Wow people really care that much that there wont be a dubbed option?
Jesus people, be glad we're getting it at all.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:32 am

dan2026 wrote:Wow people really care that much that there wont be a dubbed option?
Jesus people, be glad we're getting it at all.
I'm buying the game for well the game not the cut down anime special. If people hate the dub so much then they could like you know not look at it and just play the darn game instead and if Hatchiyack is unlocked by looking at it then play it and go do something else while it plays.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:39 am

I have some slight feeling, that this message board is overflooded with dislectics who can't keep up with subtitles?
Heh :D
Damn it, screw PS3 and it's incompatibility with older models, I'll buy XBOX for this game (and others) 8-)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 am

MCDaveG wrote:I have some slight feeling, that this message board is overflooded with dislectics who can't keep up with subtitles?
I swear to god, it's comments like these.....

*Deep breathe*

Not wanting to read subtitles isn't dyslexia or laziness, it's preference. A selection from one's own free will. For example, I prefer normal milk over soy milk. This isn't because I'm lactose intolerant, but rather because normal milk simply tastes better to me. To just dismiss someone who prefers to watch Dragon Ball or other Anime dubbed as a dyslexic, is just plain ignorant.