Movie DVD Questions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goten2008

Movie DVD Questions

Post by Goten2008 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:34 pm

I was going to start finally collecting the remainder of the DBZ movies (I only have Movie 7) and was wondering if I should get the original DVDs or the Double Feature ones?

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: Movie DVD Questions

Post by DbzFanboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Pick up the double features, they're way better than the singles.
FOREVER FORNEVER

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:44 pm

It depends on what you wanted. The DFs are in cropped 16:9 but remastered while the singles are in 4:3 but not remastered.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:It depends on what you wanted. The DFs are in cropped 16:9 but remastered while the singles are in 4:3 but not remastered.
The movies were animated all along with the "intent" to be cropped into widescreen. They're better off that way. Out of all the remastered double-features, only the Bardock and Trunks specials are the exception, since they were TV features, not movies, and animated for fullscreen.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:53 pm

The other option is holding out to see if Funimation will be releasing Dragon Box The Movies.
FOREVER FORNEVER

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:19 am

This question seems to get asked a lot. But my answer is always: definately get the double features. They're cheaper and look better visually. What more could you want?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:00 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:This question seems to get asked a lot. But my answer is always: definately get the double features. They're cheaper and look better visually. What more could you want?
Umm.... the Dragon Box The Movies?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:33 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:This question seems to get asked a lot. But my answer is always: definately get the double features. They're cheaper and look better visually. What more could you want?
That is currently out, I mean.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:38 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
That is currently out, I mean.
That's the line of thinking that got people buying the Orang Bricks! "Well, it's better than nothing..."
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:51 pm

The double Features are usually more expensive if you're going for used/cheap as possible. Each of the older singles can be had for like $4-$6 a piece. (<--Hasn't actually looked into that for a while now)

I like the older singles because, even though they were meant for widescreen, I still feel like it's something extra that we get full frame.

I'm sure some of the double features look great, but I'm assuming that'd be just the later ones. Weren't the first few DVNR'd to hell like the first Season Sets? Looking at it like that, you could still say you're picking your poison on visual quality, since the early DBZ stuff never really looked great. :|

Meh, I'd get whatever you can find cheaper, unless you really want to hear the Dub vices with the Japanese bgm.

But make sure you at least get the Pioneer releases of the original 3 movies, just because. 8)
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Goten2008

Post by Goten2008 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Well the remastered season sets didn't have the best visuals so I didn't know if the Double Features did. I don't want blurred out details.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Goten2008 wrote:
Well the remastered season sets didn't have the best visuals so I didn't know if the Double Features did. I don't want blurred out details.
As far as I know, there's no blurred out detail.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:12 pm

I have the Double Feature's for all the movies + specials, but I have the Bardock and Trunks special also in single form.

Or just wait for FUNimation's eventual release of the Movie Dragon Box.

:x
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:58 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:I'm sure some of the double features look great, but I'm assuming that'd be just the later ones. Weren't the first few DVNR'd to hell like the first Season Sets?
Actually, I think Movie 8 (Broly) was done first, and IMO, looks the worst by FAR. The colors are pretty bad, especially in comparison to the Dragon Box release.

Between the FUNi Singles and the DF's, I have both, because I like to know I have the full frames if I really want to see them, even though they are MUCH lower quality, as far as the encoding goes.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:02 am

I also have both and that's the ideal thing, but in your case, it's up to you really.

Movie Singles
- Quality like the old singles releases by FUNimation
- 4:3 frame (showing more footage than any release of the movies)
- Unique packaging with custom pictures for each cover/DVD
- Two audio tracks (US dub with US music and original Japanese version)
- May be expensive and hard to track down

Movie Double Feature
- Quality is really good, though still not with the same colors as the Dragon Box release
- 16:9 "cropped" frame (however it should be noted that the rest of the frame was "extra" as this was how it was meant to be seen)
- Standard uniform packaging for all releases (besides the highlighted picture)
- Three audio tracks (US dub with US music, original Japanese version, US dub with Japanese music)
- Inexpensive and easy to find

Those are things you just have to weigh for yourself.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:13 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Movie Singles
- Two audio tracks (US dub with US music and original Japanese version)
- May be expensive and hard to track down
A point to make on those two parts. Movie 5 has the Mexican dub :D :D :D

They're hard to track down if only you're going on ebay. Make sure you are getting the UNCUT version. There are edited DVD's for most of those movies. :| I have the edited and uncut version of movie 5 on DVD because an ebay seller said it was uncut and didn't do refunds. :roll:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 am

There are Blu-ray releases of the Double Features. I recommend you get those; that way, if Dragon Box the Movies ever DOES come out, you won't feel ripped off.

The fact is that Dragon Box the movies are in 480p, and even if their colors are better, 1080p double features will have the better quality.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:That's the line of thinking that got people buying the Orang Bricks! "Well, it's better than nothing..."
But a lot of people didn't buy them because they were all butthurt about the whole "widescreen issue".

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:36 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:That's the line of thinking that got people buying the Orang Bricks! "Well, it's better than nothing..."
Yes but consider this:
If a lot of people HADN'T bought the Orange Bricks, do you believe we would have received the Dragon Boxes? :shock:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:10 am

nathantheguitarist wrote: A point to make on those two parts. Movie 5 has the Mexican dub :D :D :D

They're hard to track down if only you're going on ebay. Make sure you are getting the UNCUT version. There are edited DVD's for most of those movies. :| I have the edited and uncut version of movie 5 on DVD because an ebay seller said it was uncut and didn't do refunds. :roll:
The exact same thing happened to me (then I got the uncut one). And yeah, with movie 5. But I did get my money back while keeping the disc. You should do it through Pay Pal. Whether the prick does refunds or not, false advertising doesn't count.