Some good news for toy collectors?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Some good news for toy collectors?

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:17 am

Today, I recieved this email from Hobby Link Japan:

Anybody who has shopped with HLJ for more than the last few months shares our pain. Since 2007, the Japanese yen has risen over 40% in value against the euro and US dollar. And since we price our products in yen, that means you've been paying more for everything at HLJ.

Over the last year or so, we've run many different special sales to try to help offset the higher yen, but we've decided we think there's a better way. So starting next week, HLJ is going to start rolling out a new "our price" system on many of the brands and items we carry. These items will always be offered lower than the manufacturer's suggested retail price. And what's more, we're also rethinking our special sales, too. There will be fewer of them, but we think you'll find them more attractive than ever before.

As we prepare to roll out our new system, we've decided to end every sale currently taking place at HLJ this Friday, October 1st at 6pm JST. And for a few days after that, everything will be offered at its regular price only. So if you've had your eye on something discounted at HLJ, be sure to buy now! You can peruse everything with a special price at HLJ on our sales page.

Of course I wish we could just manipulate currency rates directly (who doesn't?). But since we can't, we're just going to do our best to make it as easy as possible for you to get all the great hobby and anime stuff from Japan and the world that you know and love.

Stay tuned, and as always, thank you for all of your business with HLJ.

Scott T. Hards
President

So, this sounds like it may be beneficial to people who collect Dragon Ball, especially ones like myself who shop almost exclusively at Hobby Link.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: Some good news for toy collectors?

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:27 am

They seem to have all three figuarts in stock again too, I have Goku and Gohan already so ordered Piccolo! :D

Minigt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Minigt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:01 am

The Time Traveller wrote:They seem to have all three figuarts in stock again too, I have Goku and Gohan already so ordered Piccolo! :D
They are still more expensive than retail in Japan. Great figures though and HLJ is always reliable.
Chuncho Stretchy Pants

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 am

Sweet, but do they ship worldwide and this isn't creditcard only, is it?
If not, I might order something :D

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:07 am

Bura wrote:Sweet, but do they ship worldwide and this isn't creditcard only, is it?
If not, I might order something :D
I use my debit card and live in the UK.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:33 am

Yeah, I'm an Australian and I use debit, so you should be all right. Although they may charge more for shipping... I'm not sure how much it is for Netherlands.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:25 am

I think I'm gonna cancel that Piccolo figuarts, I just got an invoice from FedEx for £20 for those other two figures... :shock:

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:20 am

The Time Traveller wrote:I think I'm gonna cancel that Piccolo figuarts, I just got an invoice from FedEx for £20 for those other two figures... :shock:
Yikes. I only ever use SAL, unless they have a special deal going. I've never had any problems before, it's just takes like five days longer, and costs a fraction of the price.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:48 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:I think I'm gonna cancel that Piccolo figuarts, I just got an invoice from FedEx for £20 for those other two figures... :shock:
Yikes. I only ever use SAL, unless they have a special deal going. I've never had any problems before, it's just takes like five days longer, and costs a fraction of the price.
Now I have no idea how to pay it, it says I can set up a FedEx account online and pay it that way but that doesn't seem to work seeing as I need an Account Number to join. Anyone else in Europe ever get something like this? I'd really appreciate the help...

EDIT: Nevermind, paid by cheque.
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:15 am

I'm going to be honest and say that I don't really understand what they are doing....

Are they basically saying that everything is going to be cheaper?

Toriyama-sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toriyama-sama » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:59 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Now I have no idea how to pay it, it says I can set up a FedEx account online and pay it that way but that doesn't seem to work seeing as I need an Account Number to join. Anyone else in Europe ever get something like this? I'd really appreciate the help...

I used FedEx when I bought the Kanzenban from CDJapan. I paid them directly in cash when they went to deliver the package at my home address.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:11 pm

FUCK! Half the DB merchandise I wanted from HLJ was 50-70% off now everything is back to retail value. No sales. So no, this is not good news for me! If I knew about this sooner I would've went on a shopping spree.
Last edited by Scarz on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:37 pm

As we prepare to roll out our new system, we've decided to end every sale currently taking place at HLJ this Friday, October 1st at 6pm JST. And for a few days after that, everything will be offered at its regular price only. So if you've had your eye on something discounted at HLJ, be sure to buy now! You can peruse everything with a special price at HLJ on our sales page.
Scarz, theyr'e going to put the sales back up. Maybe not all of them, but right now everthing is back to retail value until they roll out their new sales. It would be very dissapointing if nothing Dragonball was planned to be on sale for this new thing though.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:22 pm

Drabaz wrote:
Scarz, theyr'e going to put the sales back up. Maybe not all of them, but right now everthing is back to retail value until they roll out their new sales. It would be very dissapointing if nothing Dragonball was planned to be on sale for this new thing though.
I really do hope so. There were quite a few items with really great discounts, even some non DB related items where on my "to buy" list this month.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:36 pm

What Dragonball things were you thinking about getting? The only things I remembered with a great discount were the Big Buu doll and the Shenlong Sculpture. Both have ridiculous shipping costs though.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Drabaz wrote:What Dragonball things were you thinking about getting? The only things I remembered with a great discount were the Big Buu doll and the Shenlong Sculpture. Both have ridiculous shipping costs though.
Oh man, I had forgotten about the Time Machine and Shen Long sculptures.... I was going to buy them next free shipping sale. :(