How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be released?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarotto
Not-So-Newbie

How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be released?

Post by Kakarotto » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Hey everybody. I'm new and I wanted to know how you think Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies will be released: in one box set or in individual discs?

It would be nice if Funimation released the movies in one box set for $60. It would make it cheaper to buy than all the double features.
Bald that way

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be realesed?

Post by dragondyle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:15 pm

I would love it if they just released it in one box.
You must have faith in who you are.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:39 pm

If we did get it in one box, why wouldn't it be cheaper than the other boxes? It would have less content.

[sarcasm]Oh, and I hope Broli replaces Son on the cover, because we love him so.[/sarcasm]

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:13 pm

WILL be released? Are we speaking in hypothetical terms, here?
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:21 pm

No, they got the rights when they announced the Z Dragon Boxes.

One box would be great, or two cheaper boxes wouldn't be too bad either.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:28 pm

I'd rather not have to buy them in chunks of two or three movies per set again. I would hope for one big box set with all 13 Z movies (and mayhaps the 2 specials as well).
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:30 pm

They could do like Spain did and release two packs of 7-8 movies each (with the second one having the TV specials, too).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be reales

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:41 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:05 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Kaboom wrote:I'd rather not have to buy them in chunks of two or three movies per set again. I would hope for one big box set with all 13 Z movies (and mayhaps the 2 specials as well).
"Mayhaps" nothing. The two TV specials, if they aren't in the last of the 7 main Dragon Boxes as some have speculated, had damn well better be in a movie box of some kind, or I'll be mighty irritated. Those NEED to be available in Dragon Box quality. They're two of the all time best pieces of Dragon Ball animation Toei ever made and very much deserve the royal image quality treatment. I for one don't think of them as "neat extras if we happen to get them, but if not oh well", I consider them absolute musts that are as imperative as the series itself.
I agree with both of you. I really hope the specials will be included at some point. I'm more inclined to agree with Kaboom. FUNimation has always lumped in the TV specials with the movies, referring to them all as "Features," so it might stand to reason they'd throw those on to a Dragon Ball Movie Dragon Box.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be reales

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:22 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:33 pm

I'd prefer one or two boxes with all the movies and the TV specials. The Dragon Boxes are marketed toward completists anyway ("it is your archive"). But if they decide to release them individually, even if the prices end up jacked up slightly compared to an economical box set, then I'd still be happy to get them in Dragon Box quality at all.
I can see their parachutes.

Echo64
Beyond Newbie

Post by Echo64 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:38 pm

At least two boxes, I can't see FUNimation doing just one. Also I hope they release them after they release the Dragon Ball and GT Dragon Boxes, I can wait for the movies.
"This planet's last remnant of hope!"
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My YouTube Channel

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Knowing FUNimation, they probably going to released it in 2 box sets.
I hope they are going to put the TV Specials as an extra in the 7th Dragon Box, just like what they did with the Goku Jr. Side Story in the last GT Season Set.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:32 pm

When Funi said they had the movies as well as the series, did they mean just the Z Movies or do they have the Dragon Ball films as well.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:54 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:When Funi said they had the movies as well as the series, did they mean just the Z Movies or do they have the Dragon Ball films as well.
They only announced they have the Z movies.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:03 pm

I would like it if they did it the way they did the DBGT Complete Series set. In book form, with a booklet in the back. Maybe it's just me, I think it would be cool.

Kakarotto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarotto » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Greenman wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:When Funi said they had the movies as well as the series, did they mean just the Z Movies or do they have the Dragon Ball films as well.
They only announced they have the Z movies.

So as of now Funimation does not have the two specials in Dragon Box quality?
Bald that way

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:38 pm

I'd expect them to just be a "dragon box" series for the movies and them to be released at the same price point as the remastered singles were suppose to be at.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be released?

Post by nathantheguitarist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:01 am

That'd be the worst thing ever. Releasing more movie singles? No thanks...

Even though I'd still buy them like that if it was the only choice. :'(
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be released?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:18 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:That'd be the worst thing ever. Releasing more movie singles? No thanks...
I know. They've already released all the movies on singles twice. I think FUNi will release them in all boxset, similar to what Madman's doing.