Kai Episode 75 (3 October 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 75 (3 October 2010)

Post by Hujio » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:38 pm

General discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 75, aired 3 October 2010.

実力未知数!寡黙な戦士16号、動く
Jitsu-ryoku Mi-chisuu! Kamoku na Senshi Juuroku-Gou, Ugoku
Unmeasured Power! The Silent Warrior No. 16 Makes his Move

--------------------

Scenario: Matsui Aya
DragonBall Z Directors: Hashimoto Mitsuo, Ueda Yoshihiro

Manga: DragonBall Chapters 370 (Page 14), 371, 372
Anime: DragonBall Z Episodes 151, 152

I hope people are ready for some shitty (aka: bad, although still shitty) Uchiyama Masayuki animation.
Last edited by Hujio on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 75 (3 October 2010)

Post by dan2026 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Hujio wrote: I hope people are ready for some shitty Uchiyama Masayuki animation.
I'm ready for some ROCKETTTTTTO PANCHIIIIIIIII

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Hujio created a Dragon Ball Kai episode topic?! :shock:
dan2026 wrote:
Hujio wrote: I hope people are ready for some shitty Uchiyama Masayuki animation.
I'm ready for some ROCKETTTTTTO PANCHIIIIIIIII
Well, I'm ready for Cell's 2nd form!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:06 pm

Hujio wrote:I hope people are ready for some shitty Uchiyama Masayuki animation.
Aw, come on. Too soon!

Although I admit his work in this era of the series is, as you warned me, not as good as his earlier work.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Hujio wrote:I hope people are ready for some shitty Uchiyama Masayuki animation.
Come on, now! The man just died recently.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
Come on, now! The man just died recently.
It's a good thing you just figured that out after somebody else mentioned it, especially after already posting in this thread. I by no means am speaking ill of the dead, just stating a fact; he was not a good animator for much of Z. Just because he recently died doesn't mean I'm going start saying his work is fantastic. Oh, and yes, I made a thread. People just usually beat me to it since I'm typically busy on Saturdays. But I wanted to switch it up and actually throw in some info at the beginning.

Animation aside, I'm ready for a quality Kai episode!
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:44 pm

The "bad" animation in this episode ends around the part where Jinzoningen #16 attacking Cell with "Rocket Punch" (I didn't know the official name) but even the "bad" animation is not the worst in the entire DBZ series. I can say that most of the animation in this episode is decent. The episode ends with Tenshinhan attacking Cell (2nd form) with "Shin Kikoho". Also, there's a commercial for Dragon Ball Kai Blu-ray Box 1 and DVD Volume 1 for the Jinzoningen arc.
Here's a screen shot of it.
And the 2nd half of the 2nd half of the eyecatches is new.
@Hujio I didn't mean you should start saying his work is fantastic, just because his dead. I mean you should not insult him by saying that his animation is "shitty". You could've just use words like "bad".
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:48 pm

Yeah...the guy's work really went downhill over time. I'll blame it on health issues, though...since that would actually make some sense.

By the way, Wakamoto seems to have changed up his second form voice, too. Hmm...well, I still hope he hits those notes for Cell's screaming (which he's going to start doing a hell of a lot of starting next week).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Yeah, I keep on having a hard time accepting it because, in early Z, Uchiyama Masayuki was one of my favorite animators. The characters just looked so cute and round under his supervision. I have no idea what it is, though, but as the Cell arc continues, it's just... not working for some reason, and everyone looks rather squashed and not very well-defined, while, strangely enough, Ebisawa "Triangle Man" Yukio's stuff is starting to become more and more tolerable. Gives me the sadness... :cry:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, I keep on having a hard time accepting it because, in early Z, Uchiyama Masayuki was one of my favorite animators. The characters just looked so cute and round under his supervision. I have no idea what it is, though, but as the Cell arc continues, it's just... not working for some reason, and everyone looks rather squashed and not very well-defined
Some things off the top of my head are that the shading just looks flat and awkward, and everything becomes very triangular (more than Studio Live's art at a certain point). Another is that anything drawn at high and low perspectives looks really bad (at one point towards the end of the Cell Games, 18's face was looking up and her head was just mostly a circle with some poorly drawn facial details), and the animation itself just becomes very stiff, like when people laugh it's just two frames of their head bobbing up and down. Pants and stuff start looking like blobs with random lines as well and limbs start looking really thin.

A few of his later episodes look okay, like the episode with normal Vegetto fighting Boo (which actually looks sort of like the manga at that point, and isn't so bad on it's own either), but then most episodes start to look really awful.

Studio Live's art starts improving around the end of the Cell-arc, and stops looking so extremely exaggerated, though hips start looking really thin though. It starts animating better too. Not to mention that as always, some scenes are still animated by the far superior Kanno Toshiyuki.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:59 pm

YAY for Brown hair Vegeta in the next episode preview.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:01 am

LeprikanGT wrote:YAY for Brown hair Vegeta in the next episode preview.
It seems they don't give a shit about Vegeta's hair anymore.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:08 am

It's always been that way. Doesn't he have brown hair anyways?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:15 am

LeprikanGT wrote:It's always been that way. Doesn't he have brown hair anyways?
No, they're not. In the Saiya-Jin arc, They recolored Vegeta's brown shading into black. but, now they don't care anymore and Vegeta's hair is black.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:50 am

I thought it was brown...and that was why Vegito's bangs have a reddish brown tint and during many scenes his hair is brown and most notiblyy in the B3 opening and in the show when Mecha Frieza shows up.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:28 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:It's always been that way. Doesn't he have brown hair anyways?
In the Saiya-Jin arc, They recolored Vegeta's brown shading into black.
Only in a couple of random shots, despite him having brown hair in the opening, which made it inconsistent with itself.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:30 am

Shin Kikoho!!!

Yeah go Tenshinhan!
You are still useful!

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:20 am

Part 1:

Android 16 lock and load !!!!!

What is Bruce Faulconer doing here ?!!!.....a rather awesome jam during the fight. 8)

It looks like I.Cell gets his handed to him....but WAIT. Oh my goodness, just a little power up and he's back in the game ?!....what the hacks.

Well for what it's worth, 16 gets to use his flying falcon pauwnchhh followed by the "Hasta la bye bye"-move. :mrgreen:

Part 2:

Well it's time. Android 17 says one last little line of ignorance and he's gone.

Heads up, Android 16 now has half his brains blown away so any lines like "He will destroy him!!"" in favor of P.Cell must be taken with a grain of salt. :lol:

I actually forgot 18 had a plan there, good stuff. Together with Ten's epic moment this episode was really nice.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:58 pm

I may be a little late to the party in regards to commenting on Wakamoto Norio's performance in Kai, but... Is it just me, or is he using more of what was his first form Cell voice for the second form, this time around? Whereas his first form seemed to be indulging in some voice cracking higher pitches.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Ashy-kun wrote:I may be a little late to the party in regards to commenting on Wakamoto Norio's performance in Kai, but... Is it just me, or is he using more of what was his first form Cell voice for the second form, this time around? Whereas his first form seemed to be indulging in some voice cracking higher pitches.
Yeah, we've been noticing it in the chat, too. I'm not really sure why he decided to change his performance, but I miss the old one.

Next week is the episode with a lot of screaming, so I hope he does okay...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf