How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be released?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be realesed?

Post by Greenman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:11 am

Kakarotto wrote:So as of now Funimation does not have the two specials in Dragon Box quality?
FUNimation may have them, but they haven't specifically announced that they have them yet. I think they probably will include them somewhere. I don't see FUNi buying the rights to every Z episode and movie, yet forgetting about the TV specials.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Re: How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be released?

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:18 am

Since I'm the assuming type, I would "assume" the Bardock and Trunks TV specials would be included considering that they were aired on TV in line with the normal 291 episodes, and since FUNimation announced they have received all episodes of DBZ and the 13 Movies in Dragon Box quality, they would be in with the episodes portion.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be releas

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:45 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Regarding the specials, the FUNi Dragon Boxes already increased the number of episodes per disc compared to the Japanese release to make it more economical. We have seven episodes per disc so far, and with 291 episodes, that's going to put only four episodes on the final disc. The TV specials are roughly double the length of a normal episode. It wouldn't be a big surprise to see both specials added to the last disc; it'd essentially be putting 8 episodes on the disc.

Now, that also means squeezing about 3.5 hours of video on the DVD. Personally, I'd rather spend a little more to have an extra disc so compression artifacts don't start to creep in, even if it does increase the cost of the last set just a few bucks. Those of us buying the final set are completists anyway, so it's not like we'd be offended if the price goes up slightly.

So, how would they fill the available time on the last disc of regular episodes? Either A) They don't, and it's just four episodes. B) They throw the specials on as I'm theorizing. C) A few episodes from the other discs are shifted over, so we have a few discs with 6 episodes and slightly higher video bitrates. D) Some other extras.

Now, that's assuming that FUNi will be rereleasing the specials. They love putting out Dragon Ball releases, so if they have them, they're not going to sit on them.
I can see their parachutes.

Minigt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Minigt » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:23 pm

I just feel blessed to have the first 4 box sets and I am praying they will finish the series. If the movies are released that will be a massive bonus.
Chuncho Stretchy Pants

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:27 am

FUNimation will release the Dragon Box movies. They will include a new English dub with their Dragon Ball Z Kai cast, and put ads as such on Nicktoons and CW. Then they will also include the uncut Ocean dub with the original score, their original dub with their redone score, and of course the Japanese track with English subtitles. They will be released one movie per disc, at $10 for DVD and $15 for Blu-Ray, in sequential order starting with Dragon Ball movie 1. They will release the TV Specials and video game/anniversary specials in the same line.

And when you line up the spines, it's a giant picture of Toriyama giving you the finger.

Minigt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Minigt » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:38 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
And when you line up the spines, it's a giant picture of Toriyama giving you the finger.
Teehhee. Funniest thing of the day right there.
Chuncho Stretchy Pants

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 pm

The Japanese movie box is only 8 discs and that includes the three Dragon Ball movies and the Anniversary Special. So a collection of just the 13 DBZ movies and possibly the two TV specials should be easy enough to fit into a single set. Doing it any other way would be madness.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:58 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:The Japanese movie box is only 8 discs and that includes the three Dragon Ball movies and the Anniversary Special. So a collection of just the 13 DBZ movies and possibly the two TV specials should be easy enough to fit into a single set. Doing it any other way would be madness.
And the 8th disc didn't even have anything in it except the Dragon Ball 10th Anniversary Movie.

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 pm

I hope it's announced soon. I only bought 3 double features since the Coola one went out of stock, and I'm hoping the Box comes out before I give in.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Does anyone have any clue whether they will attempt to acquire the rights for Dragonball and GT DragonBoxes?
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:59 pm

Jaruka wrote:Does anyone have any clue whether they will attempt to acquire the rights for Dragonball and GT DragonBoxes?
No one knows, but they might consider obtaining the rights if they feel like the domestic Dragon Boxes are selling well. By the looks of it, they're selling really well to the point of Dragon Box Vol. 2 being extremely hard to find.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:42 am

Box 2/3 holds a lot of peoples favorite episodes, including mine^^
Knowing FUNi, they might want to get DB/GTs Dragon Box licensed so they have the special(movie for funi) and the DB movies so they can release the MOVIE box properly.

DB/GT will get released but when? Who knows.
The Japanese boxes are beyond cheap now(imo anyway)
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:33 pm

My only concern with the TV specials being lumped in with the movies is if they're cropped the same way the movies are. The movies were animated with cropping in mind, but the specials weren't. I've watched Bardock: Father of Goku on the double feature set and it just looks weird in 16:9, the same way the show does. Now if they decide to be awesome and do the entire movie box in 4:3, well that would just be fantastic but I'm not holding my breath.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:41 pm

FUNi will find some way to milk it. My predicition will be all 13 of the Z movies in 2 boxsets with 1 movie per disc.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:45 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:My only concern with the TV specials being lumped in with the movies is if they're cropped the same way the movies are.
I don't see why they would, as they have gone out of their way to not change a thing with the Dragon Box releases. The specials were meant to be seen in 4:3, so regardless of which box they end up being released on, they will be 4:3.
Now if they decide to be awesome and do the entire movie box in 4:3, well that would just be fantastic but I'm not holding my breath.
But the movies were not intended to be viewed in 4:3, so they would be released in their proper 16:9 aspect ratio. Presenting a movie intended for widescreen in 4:3 is just as wrong as presenting a 4:3 show in widescreen.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:14 am

OutlawTorn wrote:But the movies were not intended to be viewed in 4:3, so they would be released in their proper 16:9 aspect ratio. Presenting a movie intended for widescreen in 4:3 is just as wrong as presenting a 4:3 show in widescreen.
When it comes to animation that's...debatable. With the rare exception of the few scenes in movie 3 where the the frame is incomplete, it's not as easy to argue that something intentionally painted on the cel wasn't supposed to be there or, at the very least, isn't worth seeing. It's certainly a good thing to have the movies available in both aspect ratios.

You can see the "well...yeah...but animation is different" at work in Don Bluth films and some DCAU stuff like Justice League and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

It's certainly not the same thing as the orange brick fiasco. In fact, it's pretty much the exact opposite.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:42 am

TonyTheTiger wrote: When it comes to animation that's...debatable. With the rare exception of the few scenes in movie 3 where the the frame is incomplete, it's not as easy to argue that something intentionally painted on the cel wasn't supposed to be there or, at the very least, isn't worth seeing. It's certainly a good thing to have the movies available in both aspect ratios.
It comes down to the director's intent, which isn't always simple to figure out. Unlike live-action movies that are open-matted, you won't be seeing stray boom mics. Just, as you mentioned, the occasional incomplete cel, which would suggest that 16:9 was the target ratio for that particular film.
But even some live-action films shot on Super 35, like Terminator 2: Judgment Day, are given alternate framing jobs for widescreen and 4:3 releases, which can leave the director's intent a bit nebulous.

Since FUNi is sticking close to Toei's releases, if and when we see the TV specials and movies, they should be in 4:3 and matted 16:9, respectively. But I'm curious, since the US and Japanese Dragon Boxes have slightly different framing, would FUNi be acquiring pre-matted prints of the movies, or doing the matting themselves?
I can see their parachutes.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:30 am

Yeah, obviously the Dragon Box footage should remain as is. I don't think anybody wants to see FUNi start fiddling with the footage again. But when it comes to the "right" aspect ratio for animated features it's sometimes unclear. Like you said, sometimes even live action is blurry. Stanley Kubrick was notorious for saying that the 4:3 versions of his movies are the "true" versions which tends to send videophiles into convulsions. It's why I'm glad to have the movie singles. Even if the widescreen matting is the "proper" aspect ratio, it's nice to have access to 4:3 versions.