How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be released?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OutlawTorn
Regular

Re: How will Funimation's Dragon Box of the movies be released?

Post by OutlawTorn » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:41 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:
OutlawTorn wrote:But the movies were not intended to be viewed in 4:3, so they would be released in their proper 16:9 aspect ratio. Presenting a movie intended for widescreen in 4:3 is just as wrong as presenting a 4:3 show in widescreen.
When it comes to animation that's...debatable.
In my opinion, I would take into account that Toei, who created the movies, has never released them in a 4:3 format. It's a fairly convincing argument that the movies were intended for widescreen viewing and the fact that the animation almost always fills a 4:3 frame is irrelevant as there is generally more material than what is ultimately shown.

With that said, though, there are far worse alternatives than simply removing the mattes, so a 4:3 presentation for the movies wouldn't be horrible, but not preferable. Perhaps FUNimation could compromise and release a 4:3 box (though the specials, if included on the movie box, should be 4:3 regardless of which aspect ratio the movies are in) like how some DVD box sets feature a full screen and widescreen version. That way, everybody would be able to choose based upon their own personal preferences.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:53 pm

Well, there are a few animation errors when watched in 4:3. It's in areas you were never meant to see because they were intended to be watched in wide screen.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:33 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Well, there are a few animation errors when watched in 4:3. It's in areas you were never meant to see because they were intended to be watched in wide screen.
Only about 3 short sequences, and all in one movie. You can find more blatant animation errors in the series in places you were clearly meant to see. So all in all it's pretty minor.

If it were a pervasive issue with the tops of people's heads missing and obviously incomplete animation throughout the movies (or, hell, if they were actually animated in 16:9 like Justice League Unlimited was) then I'd be more inclined to agree that there's something categorically wrong with the 4:3 framing. But removing the mattes of a cartoon animated in 4:3 isn't the same thing as removing the mattes of a film shot in 4:3. The mattes in the film are usually put there to cover up things that you can't stop the camera from picking up and shouldn't be in the final shot. But it's a hard sell to say that something deliberately painted onto a cel shouldn't be there.

Just to be clear, I'm aware that in all animation (and even live action) the frame is set up to account for things like overscan and other issues that limit the viewing space. So they only put important things in a center "safe zone" to make sure it's not lost. But that being the case, using the "intent" angle, it could be argued that even the reframing of the Dragon Boxes is an inappropriate alteration because it means we're seeing more of the frame than we were supposed to. It's not as severe a change as FUNi's 4:3 movies but nevertheless the same details are at work, just on a smaller scale. We're seeing extremities of the frame we probably weren't expected to see.
Last edited by TonyTheTiger on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:47 am, edited 7 times in total.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:10 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:I'm very curious what the "Movie Box" will look like. I'm more curious if they'll ever make one. thank god for my JP boxes. ^_^.
All you ever do is brag about your Japanese Dragon Boxes every time you post about the American Dragon Boxes. Its super annoying and nobody cares.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:I'm very curious what the "Movie Box" will look like. I'm more curious if they'll ever make one. thank god for my JP boxes. ^_^.
All you ever do is brag about your Japanese Dragon Boxes every time you post about the American Dragon Boxes. Its super annoying and nobody cares.
He also rips on the obviously in-superior NA Dragon Boxes.
'Cause the slightest change in contrast is just that much of a big deal, I guess.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:23 pm

I was gonna be quiet and let it go, but since Inna brought up: Yes AnimeMaakuo, we get it, you're glad to have the Japanese Dragon Boxes. Congrats *throws confetti and pops a popper*, whoop dee doo! Many of us actually appreciate what FUNimation has done to bring the original pristine footage here to America in what is the North American Dragon Box. Enough bragging about how amazing the JP one is, because we know... seriously we know. Also, stop complaining about the NA ones because we know we won't get every single thing the original had, and all that business. So please, enough.

-end rant-
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:28 pm

I have a vault of Dragon Boxes that I swim in like Scrooge McDuck from Ducktales.

Everyone wonders how I can dive in them like water.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I have a vault of Dragon Boxes that I swim in like Scrooge McDuck from Ducktales.

Yes. Yes, we do. :lol:
It seems natural that FUNi would put out a collection. They've done mini-collections before like the Broly: Triple Threat box and the double releases. I don't see why they'd put out single releases at this point. Again, the Dragon Box releases are aimed at collectors. Maybe split the movie release into two box sets instead of one, but that's about all I can fathom.
I can see their parachutes.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:17 pm

All of you need to chill out. Maybe AnimeMaakuo does talk about his JP boxes rather often, but ganging up on him to say "Shut up! We don't care!" isn't much better.

Please stick to the original topic from here on out.
-Rachel

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Since Funimation doesn't have the Dragon Ball Movies I believe it would be possible to fit all of the movies on to 6 discs. The first 2 discs on the original 'Dragon Box: The Movies' had three movies on 1 disc so I reckon Funimation could do the same. They could release it like this:
(Using Dub names because they're way shorter)
Disc 1:
Dead Zone
The World's Strongest
The Tree of Might

Disc 2:
Lord Slug
Cooler's Revenge

Disc 3:
The Return of Cooler
Super Android 13

Disc 4:
Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan
Bojack Unbound

Disc 5:
Broly: Second Coming
Bio Broly

Disc 6:
Fusion Reborn
Wrath of the Dragon

Your thoughts?

NUDEoctopus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NUDEoctopus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:04 pm

If they released the Dragon Ball Z movies in Dragon Box format without the original Dragon Ball movies on them, how would they release them if they ever decided to get the rights to them? As extras on the Dragon Ball Dragon Box? Or maybe in its own super duper small Dragon Ball Movies Dragon Box? If anything, it seems like it would reduce the chances of ever getting the original Dragon Ball on Dragon Box format.
PSN: moyerman105

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:12 pm

I'd guess they'd put them on a disc in the Dragon Ball set. That would make the most sense. That's assuming of course that they'd be able to get the Dragon Ball Dragon Box.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:48 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Your thoughts?
Hopefully they go with six discs and turn up the bitrate closer to JP Dragon Box levels. But since the current US Dragon Boxes have about 175 minutes per disc with some space left over, they could even go with five discs and be fine. With two movies on the first two discs and three for the rest, the highest disc runtime would be about 165 minutes.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Greenman wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Your thoughts?
Hopefully they go with six discs and turn up the bitrate closer to JP Dragon Box levels. But since the current US Dragon Boxes have about 175 minutes per disc with some space left over, they could even go with five discs and be fine. With two movies on the first two discs and three for the rest, the highest disc runtime would be about 165 minutes.
I hope they tune up the sound for the Japanese audio, to the point where they're the same as the Japanese ones.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:25 am

The movies Dragon Box has way higher audio quality than the series'. It's completely clean and *stereo* and doesn't have that hissing that you hear in the series' DBox. This is because unlike with the series, Toei *didn't* lose the audio masters to the movies.

Oh, and more than one movie per disc? I never thought about that. Most of the movies are slightly less than 1h, you could probably get away with two in one disc, yeah. I don't know how the JP Dragon Boxes did, but the spanish sets only had one movie per disc. I think they used single-layer discs for the movies, though.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:29 am

Sun-Wukong wrote:Now if they decide to be awesome and do the entire movie box in 4:3, well that would just be fantastic but I'm not holding my breath.
I don't think that's even possible. From seeing the international releases of the movies that use the Dragon Box masters, I think those masters are provided to licensors pre-cropped. That is to say, FUNimation likely doesn't even have the full uncropped 4:3 footage for the movies in Dragon Box quality.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Puto wrote:I don't know how the JP Dragon Boxes did
Disc 1: DB Movie 1,2,3
Disc 2: DBZ Movie 1,2,3
Disc 3: DBZ Movie 4,5
Disc 4: DBZ Movie 6,7
Disc 5: DBZ Movie 8,9
Disc 6: DBZ Movie 10,11
Disc 7: DBZ Movie 12,13
Disc 8: DB Movie 4

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I have a vault of Dragon Boxes that I swim in like Scrooge McDuck from Ducktales.

Well, if Scrooge McDuck can dive in to a "sea" of coins and swim like he's moving through water, diving in and swimming through Dragon Boxes isn't that much of a stretch.