BleedingCool News claims Toriyama is writing new Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

BleedingCool News claims Toriyama is writing new Dragon Ball

Post by m121akuma » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:42 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/25/ ... agon-ball/

I'm taking this with a PILE of salt, but Bleeding Cool seems to be a relatively legit site, and apparently Viz has been tweeting about a really big announcement soon. Take from this what you will.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: BleedingCool News claims Toriyama is writing new Dragon Ball

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:45 pm

Was wondering how long it would take someone to post about this here :).

No sources cited in the article. E-mailed article's author for more information -- no response yet. No news floating around Japanese blogs about an announcement like this. No announcements on the relevant corporate sites.

Needless to say, we haven't "reported" on this yet, and won't unless there's actually something of substance to say. Right now, there isn't. I'd love to eat my shorts, but right now they're doing just fine far, far away from my mouth.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:48 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Was wondering how long it would take someone to post about this here :).
Frankly, I'm surprised I'm the first.

This would seriously shock me if it were true. However, a manga-fied version of DBO would be orgasm-tastic.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:49 pm

This doesn't need to happen. Dragonball is over and I'm fine with that. However, if it is true, how can I not be interested?! :D
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Hmm, I think I rather he did some back stories of characters like Lunch or Yamcha or something like that rather than an all out new story arc. But then again, it is Akira Toriyama, if anyone knows how to tell a story and develop characters it's him. Either way, if this turns out to be true, it will be very interesting.

Tissweet

Post by Tissweet » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:00 pm

I believe until I see it... remember this happen before ,rumor start up every 5 years or so....but this would be so cool since I just got into dragon ball..I knew dragon ball excise for years but never really got into it until now . oh my why do I feel like a little 8 year old girl with all this excitement..... but actually over 20 years old. :oops: :o 8) :lol: :mrgreen:

oh yeah I forgot maybe we shouldn't be so surprise since they airing dragonball z all of sudden... I mean come on ...
Last edited by Tissweet on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Tissweet wrote:oh my why do I feel like a little 8 year old girl
Maybe cause you write like one? Ha, ha, I shouldn't talk. I'm horrible with grammar . Horrible.

:D Well, of course! If you love a franchise that has had almost no new stuff from the creator in years, it would make you very happy! I don't wanna get too happy just yet. This rumor seems to pop up every now and then so... yea.

Tissweet

Post by Tissweet » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Tissweet wrote:oh my why do I feel like a little 8 year old girl
Maybe cause you write like one? Ha, ha, I shouldn't talk. I'm horrible with grammar . Horrible.

umm wow I didn't know this was a school essay .

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:15 pm

If this is true my response would be: "Son of a *****!"

If this is not true my response would be: "Son of a *****!!!!!!!"

I'd take fifteen pages in the monthly V-JUMP, Sensei. Really. Just have some fun with it.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Yeah, I doubt this is true. Akira Toriyama returning to write Dragon Ball would be pretty big news and we wouldn't first hear about it on a non-Japanese site even if it is apparently going to be released simultaneously worldwide.
I wouldn't mind being wrong, though.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Hmm, I think I rather he did some back stories of characters like Lunch or Yamcha or something like that rather than an all out new story arc. But then again, it is Akira Toriyama, if anyone knows how to tell a story and develop characters it's him. Either way, if this turns out to be true, it will be very interesting.
I'd also love something like this where he writes about a different character each time. But it does say it is supposed to promote Dragon Ball Online so I would expect it to be about the events of the game. Assuming they are correct.
Last edited by Makaioshin on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:24 pm

I don't want to catch heat but... why can't it just stay over?! I believe I dedicated enough time to this series! Finally when I started enjoying it quietly with the end in sight, this happens. If it's true, I will be excited and want to check it out, but at the same time, I kind of want to move on and just look back at it as a great part of my childhood. Now it's almost as if it's not really part of my childhood anymore, but more like part of my adulthood too.

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:28 pm

As much as I'm excited for new Dragon Ball material, I'm taking this rumor with a crap-ton of salt. I'm perfectly fine with the story ending on a high note a few years ago, but I'd be interested to see what these new stories would be about. Could it possibly be Dragon Ball AF?

Nah, I'm just kidding. Still, IF this happens to be true, what would it be about? My idea is a more explained backstory of Prince Vegeta before he and Nappa landed on Earth. Did Vegeta and Nappa face certain problems during Vegeta's growth?
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Was wondering how long it would take someone to post about this here :).

No sources cited in the article. E-mailed article's author for more information -- no response yet. No news floating around Japanese blogs about an announcement like this. No announcements on the relevant corporate sites.

Needless to say, we haven't "reported" on this yet, and won't unless there's actually something of substance to say. Right now, there isn't. I'd love to eat my shorts, but right now they're doing just fine far, far away from my mouth.
I don't know, this past year and a half sure has had a lot of moments where your mouth was stuffed with shorts :P
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:45 pm

[supertroopers] I'll believe it when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet. [/supertroopers]

Seriously though, I'm pretty damn excited about this, and hopefully this is true. Who would of thought that the Dragon Box would be released in North America... So anythings possible at this point.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:47 pm

I want to faint but my gut wont let me.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Keep those emotions in check, people. Again -- no sources cited, no news popping up on Japanese sites (or English sites, for that matter), no independent corroborations. Nothing. Nothing at all.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt too. As long as there are no sources cited, I won't get my hopes up.

Even if this was true though, like Tanooki Kuribo said, I'd prefer it if he just did some backstories of characters, or something like that. Simply continuing the long-dragged out Dragon Ball story is a bad idea. I'd rather he'd just create a Piccolo/God backstory manga, detailing God's adventures before he became a god, Piccolo Daimao's reign of terror and then when he was sealed up by Mutaito (maybe even add in some backstory on Rôshi and Tsuru-sennin's training), etc.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Seem pretty hard to believe...

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Keep those emotions in check, people. Again -- no sources cited, no news popping up on Japanese sites (or English sites, for that matter), no independent corroborations. Nothing. Nothing at all.
For most, that's kinda hard to do because something like this is mind-blowing, even without cited sources. That's why it's in our place as fans to relax, sit down, shut up, and be quiet until something is heard from an official source. :D
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:02 pm

I'd be able to compose myself perfectly if I received news of winning $100 million in some lottery. If this news had no citation to speak of, that is. :)