Top Disliked Moments

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Top Disliked Moments

Post by penguintruth » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Probably some of the weaker filler, like Garlic Junior, fake Namek, etc.

I also never really liked Freeza's different forms. I guess they've been growing on me, but it just seemed like a lot of time-wasting pre-amble bullshit. You knew watching that all of this was leading up to Goku's fight with Freeza and I just wanted them to get to that. I could care less about whether or not Piccolo can match Freeza. No, rather, I knew he wouldn't. At least when Vegeta fought him, there was a past there, there was a reason for him to want to defeat Freeza, even though you know he isn't going to win.

If they just went from the form you first see Freeza in to his final form, and shortened down those preliminary bouts, it would have made all the difference.

But like I said, I've sort of warmed up to that stuff in the past year or so. I still think it's a pretty big waste of time, though.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:31 pm

The ending to Dragon Ball. I still find it atrocious and incredibly rushed. Especially all the parts with Oob. Hell GT gave the Dragon World a better closing.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Vegetto defusing from stale air and Super Saiyan 3's first appearance. Everything else I'm fairly okay with.

(First post back in the first thread in the first DB discussion section, good times.)
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Whenever Vegeta does something to help the enemy i.e. Attacking Trunks so he doesn't get in the way of Cell absorbing No. 18 and probably the scenes whenever Chi-Chi keeps on nagging about Gohan's studies, even to a point when she thinks it's more of a concern than the end of the world/universe.

There's probably more I can think of but that's all I thought about now.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:25 pm

AgitoZ wrote:The ending to Dragon Ball. I still find it atrocious and incredibly rushed. Especially all the parts with Oob. Hell GT gave the Dragon World a better closing.
Agreed. That is one of the reasons why I like GT. It doesn't slap you in the face once you get to the end of it.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:33 pm

I found GT's to be better executed and also give a feeling of closure. I do not however, see how DB's was rushed.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:39 pm

penguintruth wrote:Probably some of the weaker filler, like Garlic Junior, fake Namek, etc.

I also never really liked Freeza's different forms. I guess they've been growing on me, but it just seemed like a lot of time-wasting pre-amble bullshit. You knew watching that all of this was leading up to Goku's fight with Freeza and I just wanted them to get to that. I could care less about whether or not Piccolo can match Freeza. No, rather, I knew he wouldn't. At least when Vegeta fought him, there was a past there, there was a reason for him to want to defeat Freeza, even though you know he isn't going to win.

If they just went from the form you first see Freeza in to his final form, and shortened down those preliminary bouts, it would have made all the difference.

But like I said, I've sort of warmed up to that stuff in the past year or so. I still think it's a pretty big waste of time, though.
Agreed, although it's the opposite with me. Since I got the DBoxes and have been analyzing things more carefully, I came to this conclusion. Same thing with Cell too. As soon as you realize there are three steps to his evolution, you know you're going to end up seeing all three of them. Sadly, it would have helped maintain the drama if all the main characters present didn't act like complete idiots. But, yeah, Freeza just felt like a complete waste of time. It was like Cell pretending to be hurt by the Final Flash but spread out over several different times. Someone beats up on Freeza. But it doesn't matter because he's still holding back. Then he transforms and someone else beats up on him. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

T Pac
Not-So-Newbie

Post by T Pac » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:04 am

A lot of the frustrating scenes actually helped add layers to the characters/story, so I don't think they fit.

As far as individual moments, for me it would be when they show Goku (Krillin, too) after the three years have passed between the 21st and 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai's, and he still looks like he's six years old.

I guess at the time Toriyama didn't realize how long the story would last.

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:41 am

Goku leaving his family to go train Ubb.

(Dick move. Maybe should have used the time chamber instead?)

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:03 am

MasterVampire wrote:Goku leaving his family to go train Ubb.

(Dick move. Maybe should have used the time chamber instead?)
They did! Well, in GT anyway....

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:07 am

I really do not like the fight with Piccolo and Freeza. I just found this part in the series to prolong the inevitable and to be very boring. Actually I hate the whole entire part of Freeza transforming up until his final form. That is probably why if I ever do watch the fight with Freeza I ignore those boring transforming parts.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:48 am

Too many to choose from, but a few hates of mine are: Vegeta's bitchy constant whining about "Kakarrot" in the Cell arc, Kuririn's hard-on for #18 causing him to not destroy her and let Cell absorb her, Goku's general dickery through Dragon Ball Z (even though he's the hero, he really does do a lot of stupid things that makes me hate him and even after it all, the bastard's still grinning happily about it and saying stuff with a "kthnxbai" air about it), Gohan's 360 pacifist moment in the Cell arc, the over-abused Zenkai plot device in the Freeza arc, poor plot devices like getting Piccolo to become stronger by merging with Namekians (I know they only used it twice, but after the first one with Nail, it just felt like fusing with God was just a lazy cop-out)...was that a few? :P
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:52 pm

The OMG I IZ POWAFUL mentality in the series.

I especially hated power increases that occurred with Kuririn in the Freeza arc. He's no Saiyan, he's not as naturally resilient and doesn't receive Zenkai so his 70,000 PL against Freeza doesn't make sense, even after a ki release. But of course, the only reason that was done was to a plot device, so that he wasn't completely useless against Freeza.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Puertovelli777

Post by Puertovelli777 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:52 pm

Everytime there's a eyecatcher. :x

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:20 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Too many to choose from, but a few hates of mine are: Vegeta's bitchy constant whining about "Kakarrot" in the Cell arc, Kuririn's hard-on for #18 causing him to not destroy her and let Cell absorb her, Goku's general dickery through Dragon Ball Z (even though he's the hero, he really does do a lot of stupid things that makes me hate him and even after it all, the bastard's still grinning happily about it and saying stuff with a "kthnxbai" air about it), Gohan's 360 pacifist moment in the Cell arc, the over-abused Zenkai plot device in the Freeza arc, poor plot devices like just getting Piccolo to become stronger by merging with Namekians (I know they only used it twice, but after the first one with Nail, it just felt like fusing with God was just a lazy cop-out)...was that a few? :P
No, plus it just sounds like you're just unhappy with every choice Toriyama made.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:20 am

Perfect wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Too many to choose from, but a few hates of mine are: Vegeta's bitchy constant whining about "Kakarrot" in the Cell arc, Kuririn's hard-on for #18 causing him to not destroy her and let Cell absorb her, Goku's general dickery through Dragon Ball Z (even though he's the hero, he really does do a lot of stupid things that makes me hate him and even after it all, the bastard's still grinning happily about it and saying stuff with a "kthnxbai" air about it), Gohan's 360 pacifist moment in the Cell arc, the over-abused Zenkai plot device in the Freeza arc, poor plot devices like just getting Piccolo to become stronger by merging with Namekians (I know they only used it twice, but after the first one with Nail, it just felt like fusing with God was just a lazy cop-out)...was that a few? :P
No, plus it just sounds like you're just unhappy with every choice Toriyama made.
I'm not unhappy with every choice Toriyama's made, seeing as, well, I wouldn't be a Dragon Ball fan if I was. I like a lot of choices that Toriyama has done. I liked how he made the move to change DB into a sci-fi direction with the Saiyan, Freeza and Cell arcs. I liked how we gradually saw Goku's character develop as the series went on, I liked Freeza (who's my favourite villain), the adventures on Namek, the battle with Vegeta...there are a lot of things in DB that I dislike, but there are a lot of things in DB that I like. Anyway, I don't see you complaining about other people's disliked moments.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:49 am

AgitoZ wrote:The ending to Dragon Ball. I still find it atrocious and incredibly rushed. Especially all the parts with Oob. Hell GT gave the Dragon World a better closing.
Always felt this way as well. The problem is that to accept GT's, ending, you have to accept GT :evil: but overall, it felt like a more complete and well-done wrap-up than the ending to Z. Always hated the wasted potential, there; if it had just gone on for a few more chapters, and didn't feel so rushed, I probably wouldn't have minded Gokou wanting to go off and train Uubu. But we get the intro of Pan, teenage versions of Goten and Trunks, a new tournament where it'd be nice to see what these guys can do (while all the old fighters sit on the sidelines and no one gives two shits about Gokou or Vegeta fighting generic fighters so they could easily be skipped)...but no, Gokou confronts Uubu almost immediately, decides to train him almost immediately, and his family accepts this immediately. It's far too abrupt. Like I said, I wouldn't mind how it ended in itself so much if it had just been drawn out a bit more. Establish Pan, Goten and Trunks as our new heroes, while Gokou goes off to train another. Geez.

Also, Brolli. Movie #8 was awesome and is one of my favorites. If they had let it end there, I wouldn't mind Brolli. But no, they brought him back, and then again as a fucking clone, and the fanwank over him became maximum. Not to mention his ultimate form puts the already grotesque and terrifying DBZ muscles to shame and grosses me the fuck out (I always thought he was kinda hot in his base and regular/blue-haired SSJ forms before he downed 20 gallons of Powerthirst). Like I said, his existence in the first non-canon movie was great, because I really enjoyed that movie's story and, well, everything else, and because it's non-canon, it wasn't so hard to accept that Gokou wasn't the legendary Super Saiyajin. But because they kept using Brolli, he became more than just a one-off non-canon villain to fans, and that diminished the value of Gokou's transformation IMO even moreso than the canon overuse of Super Saiyajin. Brolli is just not likeable enough to overlook that for, I guess, whereas I can see the value behind SSJ Trunks/Vegeta/Gohan (maybe Goten and Trunks was going too far) even if they also made the transformation get stale.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:43 am

Vegeta in his entirety ranging from the cyborg-cell arc. Damn, he was such a jerk. I really disliked every moment with him in it.

And of course Bulma's "adventures" on Namek.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:10 am

Z Movie 11, Vegeta's utter idiocy vs second-form Cell, Fake Namek, Garlic Jr, GT's Super 17 saga.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:49 am

I don't like the fact that every arc, except Cell, Goku defeats the villain. When you have such a large cast wouldn't it be better to have Vegeta, Piccolo, Tenshinhan or Gotenks save the world? It can become a bit predictable, especially in the Freeza arc.