The Indonesian Dub of Dragon Ball Kai Discussion!

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

The Indonesian Dub of Dragon Ball Kai Discussion!

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:54 am

It was aired today at 9.30 WIB on Indosiar channel (about 2 hours ago) (the same (and the only channel that aired Dragon Ball in Indonesia) channel, that aired the entire DB series for 14 years (1996 - 2010 (2006 - 2010 was a re-run, but not the entire 2006))).

It aired complete with the OP, ECs (even though, there are 3 commercial breaks), ED, not sure about the NEP though... both, OP and ED are creditless. The footage was from FUNimation. The dub was re-dubbed.

it seems, the only character that got a new VA was only Gohan.
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: The Indonesian Dub of Dragon Ball Kai Aired!

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:55 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:It was aired today at 9.30 WIB on Indosiar channel (about 2 hours ago) (the same (and the only channel that aired Dragon Ball in Indonesia) channel, that aired the entire DB series for 14 years (1996 - 2010 (2006 - 2010 was a re-run, but not the entire 2006))).

It aired complete with the OP, ECs (even though, there are 3 commercial breaks), ED, not sure about the NEP though... both, OP and ED are creditless. The footage was from FUNimation. The dub was re-dubbed.

Interesting! I do have some questions:

1) Were the songs dubbed?
2) How do you know the footage was from FUNimation?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:19 am

I don't believe I've ever heard the Indonesian dub.

How many episodes aired?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:39 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:1) Were the songs dubbed?
1) No, they use "Dragon Soul" and Yeah!Break!Care!Break!".
2) Because the ECs has the "Z Kai" logo on it.
penguintruth wrote:How many episodes aired?
1 episode per week.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:48 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
I meant did they dub "Dragon Soul" and "Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" into the Indonesian language, or did they keep them in Japanese?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:39 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:It was aired today at 9.30 WIB on Indosiar channel (about 2 hours ago) (the same (and the only channel that aired Dragon Ball in Indonesia) channel, that aired the entire DB series for 14 years (1996 - 2010 (2006 - 2010 was a re-run, but not the entire 2006))).

Can you provide us with clips, and is it uncensored as opposed to the DBZ dub?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Re: The Indonesian Dub of Dragon Ball Kai Premiered!

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:08 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I meant did they dub "Dragon Soul" and "Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" into the Indonesian language, or did they keep them in Japanese?
Japanese.
sangofe wrote:Can you provide us with clips, and is it uncensored as opposed to the DBZ dub?
I'm not sure... but I think they're uncensored and I can't provide clips because I don't have a DVR.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Do the translations appear to be based on FUNimation's translations, or do they sound more like the original Japanese dialogue?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:26 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Do the translations appear to be based on FUNimation's translations, or do they sound more like the original Japanese dialogue?
I'm not really sure but I think it's the Japanese dialogue.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:27 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Do the translations appear to be based on FUNimation's translations, or do they sound more like the original Japanese dialogue?
I'm not really sure but I think it's the Japanese dialogue.
Then it sounds like it isn't the FUNimation footage. Getting their footage would also entail getting their scripts. Furthermore, if the themes are in Japanese, then it's definitely not FUNimation that provided them the footage. The addition of the "Z" seems to be something that Toei is demanding on a case-by-case basis...so Indonesia will get a loyal dub direct from the original source. They won't go through the nightmare that Mexico is doing through.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 am

So with this, Indonesia is the 2nd country (with the exception of Japan) to air Dragon Ball Kai, correct?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:58 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:So with this, Indonesia is the 2nd country (with the exception of Japan) to air Dragon Ball Kai, correct?
So far, the order would be...

1) Japan
2) The U.S.
3) Indonesia

Mexico and Brazil are in the process of dubbing the show, but neither version has been on TV yet. The Brazil dub may yet be good, but the Mexican dub is in a nightmare situation.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:09 am

Sangat bagus! If it's not too much trouble, could you record a bit of the show off your TV, Goku100x? I'm interested in seeing how the dub turned out. Either way, this is something else to look forward to when I go to Indonesia on holiday. :)

Elite49

Post by Elite49 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 am

It took 10 years to finish DBZ in Indonesia? (1996 - 2006)? If so daaaamn that's a long time. I thought 1998 (96') - 2003 was long.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:29 am

Elite49 wrote:It took 10 years to finish DBZ in Indonesia? (1996 - 2006)? If so daaaamn that's a long time. I thought 1998 (96') - 2003 was long.
No, 10 years to finish the entire series (DB, DBZ, DBGT).

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:33 am

Cool. So, same as Japan. In the US, it took FUNimation 12 years (1995~2007) to finally dub every episode.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:It seems, the only character that got a new VA was only Gohan.
All the Gohans in the world......CHANGE. :shock:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Ahiru77 wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote:It seems, the only character that got a new VA was only Gohan.
All the Gohans in the world......CHANGE. :shock:
Well, not in Japan.

Still, I'm really wondering if we'll ever get an international dub where there are no casting changes. For a while it seemed the U.S. dub had the least casting changes, but I guess the Indonesian dub now holds that position. Some casting changes are predictable--the German dub, for example, is going to have to re-cast Gohan because their Gohan was actually played by a real boy (a la Aaron Dismuke as Alphonse Elrich for the English dub of Fullmetal Alchemist). Still...it'll be interesting to see if we eventually get a dub with no casting changes.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Re: The Indonesian Dub of Dragon Ball Kai Discussion!

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:18 am

New information:
-There are no NEPs.
-There was a censored scene.

Again... I'm still not truly sure, if Gohan's VA was really changed. The OP and ED are creditless, therefore, I don't even know the names of the VAs. So there's still a possibility that Gohan's VA was never replaced at all.
Anyway, here's a clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHMmeYqLv4
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Indonesian Dub of Dragon Ball Kai Discussion!

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:26 am

So it is for real. Thanks!