deleted

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fox666
I Live Here

deleted

Post by Fox666 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:40 am

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Isn't Vegeta obsession with Goku a bit ridiculous?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:45 am

Technically I think he should hate Piccolo, because it was him who opened his big mouth about the Dragon Balls to Raditz. Vegeta didn't seem to care about avenging his partner, hell, he killed Nappa himself. But the prince wanted immortality from the Dragon Balls, and it is because of those balls that he came to Earth got his ass handed to him by some backwoods rejects. If Piccolo hadn't brought up the Dragon Balls, Vegeta would have probably just though, "Hmm...so Raditz died...Hey Nappa, wanna go ride some galactic slugs?".
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:00 am

Vegeta's "obsession" with Goku has not much to do with their first fight. What triggered his sense of rivalry towards Goku was the fact that Goku reached Super Saiyan level first, was able to defeat Frieza (something Vegeta dreaming of forever but ended up failing miserably)

Basically because of pride and inferiority complex. He holds his elite status in high regard and hates the fact that a lowest class saiyan can surpass him.

Tbh, I can't help but feel that his rivalry is a but one-sided.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:40 am

I like Vegeta's "ridiculous obsession" with Goku. It's kind of amusing that Goku indirectly brought it on himself; he was the one who stopped Kuririn from killing Vegeta so he would be able to get another chance to fight him. If Kuririn had killed him there, that'd be it. Vegeta never would have learned of Goku reaching ssj.

Goku wanted someone challenging to fight. He didn't ask for a stalker. XD (Though I guess "stalker" would be a bit harsh of a word, Vegeta never went out of his way to sneak around and secretly follow Goku or anything.)

I guess Dr. Gero's "destroy Goku" obsession is more stalker-y. I mean, that guy had little bug-shaped video cameras flying around collecting private information on him!

I like when Vegeta's rivalry with Goku is turned to humorous aspects like in the Jump special; I feel they could go a lot of different fun places with that.

With how Vegeta is described on the old Jump Tour's profile on him wraps it up quite nicely:
Old Jump Tour website wrote:"Vegeta: Prince of Planet Vegeta. A saiyan who always wants to be on top at everything. He has a strong superiority complex. He also has a strong rivalry with Goku. And not just about fighting."
The way Vegeta acted before he became obsessed with Goku was really fascinating though. He was diabolical and crafty throughout the Freeza arc (the "this isn't a dragon radar, it's a watch" scene aside) and I think he could've made a really good villain if he'd continued on that way.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:29 am

Well, technically Vegeta didn't really understand the mechanics of Kaio-ken. From his perspective Goku was just some low-class Saiyan who was somehow able to overpower him for a moment. But that said, I agree with Michsi; Vegeta didn't seem to harbor a specific grudge or have any specific rivalry with Goku until after the Namek saga.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:40 am

Bussani wrote:Well, technically Vegeta didn't really understand the mechanics of Kaio-ken. From his perspective Goku was just some low-class Saiyan who was somehow able to overpower him for a moment. But that said, I agree with Michsi; Vegeta didn't seem to harbor a specific grudge or have any specific rivalry with Goku until after the Namek saga.
Well he also hated Goku for telling Krillin to let him live and told him during their second fight that he would never forgive him for that.
But you and Michsi are right. It's not until Goku reaches Super Saiy-jin before him, that he actually wants to have his rematch with Goku and then goes on to consider him his rival.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:48 am

Chuquita wrote:With how Vegeta is described on the old Jump Tour's profile on him wraps it up quite nicely:
Old Jump Tour website wrote:"Vegeta: Prince of Planet Vegeta. A saiyan who always wants to be on top at everything. He has a strong superiority complex. He also has a strong rivalry with Goku. And not just about fighting."
Okay, so I laughed a little at the wording. :lol:

I think the reason Vegeta was obsessed with Goku and not the others (who contributed a not-inconsequential amount of help to the fight) is because Goku is a Saiyan who he is sure he should be better than. Vegeta doesn't seem to have a burning obsession with defeating everyone who might be stronger than him (not that we would get much of an opportunity to see it) -- it's not like he flew off in his pod and thought, "Next, I will kill Dodoria!" He seems to have a healthy helping of rationality when it comes to others he knows are stronger than him, until he's fairly certain he can beat them, and afterward, pays them no further mind.
Then again, it's also possible that the reason we never see him obsessing over defeating other, stronger fighters is because his power jumped so quickly that there wasn't much time between "I should play it safe and not attack so-and-so" and "oh my god, I think I'm strong enough to defeat so-and-so."

I hope at least some of that makes a little bit of sense.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:09 am

ShiningMoon wrote:
Chuquita wrote:With how Vegeta is described on the old Jump Tour's profile on him wraps it up quite nicely:
Okay, so I laughed a little at the wording. :lol:

I think the reason Vegeta was obsessed with Goku and not the others (who contributed a not-inconsequential amount of help to the fight) is because Goku is a Saiyan who he is sure he should be better than. Vegeta doesn't seem to have a burning obsession with defeating everyone who might be stronger than him (not that we would get much of an opportunity to see it) -- it's not like he flew off in his pod and thought, "Next, I will kill Dodoria!" He seems to have a healthy helping of rationality when it comes to others he knows are stronger than him, until he's fairly certain he can beat them, and afterward, pays them no further mind.
Then again, it's also possible that the reason we never see him obsessing over defeating other, stronger fighters is because his power jumped so quickly that there wasn't much time between "I should play it safe and not attack so-and-so" and "oh my god, I think I'm strong enough to defeat so-and-so."

I hope at least some of that makes a little bit of sense.
Well I guess it makes sense since in that special (assuming, of course, you mean the 2008 Jump Tour that featured the special Hey! Son Goku and Friends Return!!) Vegeta also challenges Goku by saying he can eat more than him. Superiority complex explains it well, since he takes that rivalry to ridiculous levels. I get the feeling that if Goku ever decided to give up fighting and take up ballet instead, Vegeta would practcing pirouettes before you know it.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:31 am

Fox666 wrote:Goku used the Kaio-ken 3x and 4x to surpass Vegeta. Still Vegeta survived it nicely due to his tremendous durability. Goku surely couldn't handle a Kaio-ken 3x anymore, so Vegeta would have easily won if he did not turned Oozaru.

And Vegeta freaking broke all bones from Goku. Who "defeated" him in the end was Kuririn, Gohan and Yajirobe. However Vegeta seems to ignore these guys, he might not even remember Yajirobe.

So isn't Vegeta hate against Goku pointless?
It's not pointless.

It's laughably pathetic. Vegeta deserves nothing less and Toriyama knows it.
Just enjoy it for the running gag it is. :mrgreen:

cpd12589
Beyond Newbie

Post by cpd12589 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 am

I wouldn't say Vegeta's hate is pointless. He hates Goku because of how easy everything comes to him. Also Vegeta is used to being the most powerful Saiyan by far. Having someone close to him in power or even greater pisses him off.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 pm

I think maybe since Goku was the first one to beat him that e actually tried to fought [since he knew he was not the strongest in the universe]....and also every villian that whooped him died, Goku was the first so thats who he stuck with.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:30 am

Michsi wrote:
Well I guess it makes sense since in that special (assuming, of course, you mean the 2008 Jump Tour that featured the special Hey! Son Goku and Friends Return!!) Vegeta also challenges Goku by saying he can eat more than him. Superiority complex explains it well, since he takes that rivalry to ridiculous levels. I get the feeling that if Goku ever decided to give up fighting and take up ballet instead, Vegeta would practcing pirouettes before you know it.
Yeah and he was a little too emotional in the Trunks vs Goten fight in the Tenkaichi Budokai. When Trunks won, he said to Goku that apparently "his son came from the best stock" or something

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:32 am

Vegeta takes his royal heritage very seriously. To him the fact that a low class Saiyan like Goku could even stand a chance against him was incredibly insulting. It also seems that he hated Goku for keeping Kuririn from killing him, because he saw that as an act of pity, and in his eyes being pitied by someone whose heritage was so inferior was tough to live with.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:35 am

Vegeta's obsession does not stem from his defeat on Earth. During the entire time on Namek, he only ever talks about that defeat as a positive thing.

Goku became a Super Saiyan first and defeated Freeza. That's what Vegeta sets his sights on. It develops and takes over Vegeta's entire existence until he is forced to concede during the Kid Buu fight, but that's the origin.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:10 am

Deity wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Yeah and he was a little too emotional in the Trunks vs Goten fight in the Tenkaichi Budokai. When Trunks won, he said to Goku that apparently "his son came from the best stock" or something
Haha, not to mention when Goten cheats and turns SSJ during that fight, Vegeta yells at Goku as if he was to blame. I think he even answers with something like " But why are you blaming ME?"