If Funi Released Dragon Box GT...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

If Funi Released Dragon Box GT...

Post by NeoKING » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Would you mind a different English dub? Well, not so much different, but changed? Such as no more Stephanie Nadolony/Colleen Clinkenbeard for Kid Goku or a different voice for Pan, or more accurate dialogue, or the real Shadow Dragon names? I know, the Dragon Boxes are aimed at the fans of the Japanese version, but would anyone mind a new GT dub? Not to say that the original is bad,(well, the music is...) but...

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: If Funi Released Dragon Box GT...

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:11 pm

I think many, including myself would love a more accurate dub. But we know FUNi will never re-dub it, they have no reason.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Personally, I'd take a redub of all of the original Dragon Ball over GT because, well, there's no Kai for the original Dragon Ball and I'd like to see it dubbed better, but heck, I wouldn't mind a GT redub. The original dub is still there on the Green Bricks if the dub fans want to get that, and the Dragon Boxes are primarily aimed at people who watch the show in Japanese anyway, and it would be a nice little treat to be able to watch a good dub in English if they wanted. But as AgitoZ mentioned, they don't really have a reason to, unlike the release for Dragon Ball movie 1, where they practically had to.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:19 pm

NeoKING wrote:Would you mind a different English dub? Well, not so much different, but changed? Such as no more Stephanie Nadolony/Colleen Clinkenbeard for Kid Goku or a different voice for Pan, or more accurate dialogue, or the real Shadow Dragon names? I know, the Dragon Boxes are aimed at the fans of the Japanese version, but would anyone mind a new GT dub? Not to say that the original is bad,(well, the music is...) but...
I wouldn't mind a re-dub, but I'd buy the GT Dragon Box either way.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I'd have difficulty justifying buying GT to begin with, Dragon Box quality or not, new dub or not.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:43 pm

While they're at it, redub everything else, excluding Kai.
Last edited by Perfect on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:53 pm

With a new dub? Sure. I probably wouldn't watch it, but yeah.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Meh. A new dub would be cool, but it wouldn't be enough to convince me to rebuy a series I already own. As I've said before, I'm perfectly fine with my Season Sets.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Keep it the way it is.
El Conejo Malo

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:00 pm

I'd love it if they gave it a new dub with a better script, no "EXTREEEME" approach, and the Kai cast. But I'd buy a Dragon Box GT from them even if they didn't, so...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Highly unlikely. Because the Dragon Box releases were supposed to cater for the Japanese version fans and not FUNimation's dub fan. And if you remember, the dub option was a last minute addition the Z Boxes and was not planned to be included originally.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:32 pm

If they follow the Japanese pattern Dragon Ball would be next not GT, but than again it is FUNimation. Also it'd just include the old dub even if they did redub it that'd be cool but I prefer the Japanese version anyway.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 am

I'd buy it either way, really. DBOX!
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:49 pm

B wrote:I'd buy it either way, really. DBOX!
Yeah this.

Please FUNimation throw us a bone on if you're going to do any more DBOX releases?
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:59 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:And if you remember, the dub option was a last minute addition the Z Boxes and was not planned to be included originally.
Everybody keeps bringing this up, but how do we know it wasn't just lip service to further ingratiate themselves with fans of the original? It's not like FUNimation, or any other company, has never done something like that before. Personally, I believe a dub track was always in the plans, the only question being whether to include the broadcast version or the track with the Kikuchi score. We've seen that a fair amount of people have passed on the Dragon Boxes because the Faulconer score wasn't included, so it's logical to deduce that sales would drop even further if the dub was not included.

This is, after all, because these Dragon Boxes are targeted towards a North American audience, with an emphasis on the "hardcore fans" but FUNimation certainly wouldn't have considered a release which they would put out at a loss. But, hey, the original version gets top billing so it's all good and, for those who would prefer to watch the dub, many players will allow you to set the player to play whichever track you want without having to adjust the settings yourself.

On topic, though... a Dragon Box release of GT is the only way I would buy the series again after having picked up the season sets. I think the main difference with Dragon Ball/GT over DBZ is their season sets weren't handled as badly as DBZs were, with the Dragon Boxes restoring the proper 4:3 aspect ratio and superior picture quality. At the very least, with a Dragon Box GT release, that horrid "Step into the Grand Tour" tripe would be sent to another dimension!
Budogenkai wrote:
B wrote:I'd buy it either way, really. DBOX!
Yeah this.

Please FUNimation throw us a bone on if you're going to do any more DBOX releases?
The power is in our hands, actually. If we buy the Dragon Boxes which are being released, it will tell FUNimation that the market is definitely there, but if people just say they will buy the Dragon Boxes and then just sit on their hands, the chances of any further releases will drop. So, it really is an example of putting our money where our mouth is.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

A new dub wouldn't interest me. I can't even watch the show in Japanese, so, uh... :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:A new dub wouldn't interest me. I can't even watch the show in Japanese, so, uh... :/
I think it would interest me, if, it's full of swearing. :D

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:A new dub wouldn't interest me. I can't even watch the show in Japanese, so, uh... :/
That just made me "lol" :P, Apparently you only watch something if it's chalked full of swears. :lol: *facepalm*

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:I think it would interest me, if, it's full of swearing. :D
We're talking about Funimation, not Anime Labs.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Choice195 wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
That just made me "lol" :P, Apparently you only watch something if it's chalked full of swears. :lol:
No. I mean, GT was already boring even in the Japanese version, so the only thing that would make it more interesting are swearing.