Sorry guys... but Budokai Tenkaichi is indeed, Budokai 4.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Sorry guys... but Budokai Tenkaichi is indeed, Budokai 4.

Post by ngnikolaos » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:24 am

Many of you will bitch, bark and moan, but the fact stands that Budokai Tenkaichi / DBZ Sparking! is indeed Budokai 4 / DBZ 4. Here's an analysis of the situation:

PROOF THAT BUDOKAI TENKAICHI IS "NOT" BUDOKAI 4:

1) It has an entirely different playing style.
2) It is designed by a different programming team.
3) It has a different name.

1) Yes, but that doesn't mean it's not a sequel. Have you ever played two games for the Nintendo Gamecube called "Lost Kingdoms" and "Lost Kingdoms II"? While the core of the gameplay remains the same (a girl which unleashes cards in order to fight creatures), the camera angles and game play of the heroine in Lost Kingdoms II is ENTIRELY different in Lost Kingdoms I. Yet, one is the sequel of the other.

2) So? Star Wars KOTOR and Star Wars KOTOR II were designed by different programming teams, resulting in different gameplay, yet, one is the sequel of the other. Change in developing team simply means, desire to change the flavour of the game, and try out a new leaf.

3) The reason Budokai Tenkaichi was not called Budokai 4 is simple: Atari wanted to show to gamers that Budokai Tenkaichi abandons the old Budokai gaming formula, and takes on a new one. If a potential gamer would hear that Budokai 4 is about to be released, he would say: "oh great, one of the same. Just a few more characters, and nothing new. Well, I ain't buying it". But when he hears Budokai Tenkaichi, he says "oh, great! A new series from Atari! It's worth to check out".

PROOF THAT BUDOKAI TENKAICHI IS BUDOKAI 4

1) It follows the tradition of Budokai Character Roster
2) It has the same music
3) It has similar fighting style-gameplay in the combos
4) You can import data from Budokai 3

1) The previous Budokais had one thing in common as far as character roster goes: Each one would throw out 2-4 characters from the previous game's roster, then add 5-7 new ones. In Budokai Tenkaichi, we have the entire Budokai 3 roster, except from Uub and Omega Shenron, who were thrown out.

2) Nuff said. Based on the videos we've seen, all music clips are from the previous Budokais. Do you know many "different games" who use the soundtrack of previous games which have nothing to do with them? Definite sequel sign.

3) The way combos are executed is painfully similar to the Budokais. A 3-4 hit combo, followed by a "strong punch" or "strong kick", which knocks back the character metres away. The characters even use the "energy flashing" in the final knock-away attack, just like in the previous Budokais.

4) This is verified by reviewers in Gamespot and another site, it could be bogus, but if it turns out to be a solid fact, this is THE UTMOST proof that Tenkaichi is Budokai 4. Do you know many different games who IMPORT data from a PREVIOUS title? Definite sequel sign.

That's what I think.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:36 am

Many of you will bitch, bark and moan, but the fact stands that Budokai Tenkaichi / DBZ Sparking! is indeed Budokai 4 / DBZ 4.
I don't get why anyone should care whether this is offically Budokai 4 or not. Really, it's just a name. You could call it anything you want, that shouldn't influence anyone's judgement on the game. What does a name mean?
Think of your most favourite game that you've ever played, and imagine the title was literally "Steaming Monkey Crap IV". :lol: That doesn't mean it IS steaming monkey crap.
A name shouldn't matter much in my opinion. I don't care what this next DBZ game is, as long as it's GOOD.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:43 am

Good points. But there ARE people who will bitch about this, wait and see.

Steaming Monkey Crap IV... heh. :D
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:25 am

ngnikolaos wrote:Good points. But there ARE people who will bitch about this, wait and see.

Steaming Monkey Crap IV... heh. :D
I'm not gonna bitch, personally I don't give a damn. My point of view of the situation is that it's the final of the 5 DBZ games for the PS2. Are Xing Shinron and Uub really out? If so, it's a real shame considering it was said all the previous Budokai fighters would be making returns. Oh well, can't win 'em all. Rather this is a continuation of the 3 Budokais, Sagas, or just it's own thing, I don't really care. I WILL be getting it though, I already have the 4 previous DBZ PS2 games, and I'm not stopping just before the culmination.
14 years later

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:39 am

It's not official that Uub and Omega Shenron are really out; I merely think it's a high (almost definite) possibility when they are absent in the character selection screen on the most recent video (Ryo Moto interview).

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:44 am

Ngnikolaos, your avatar is 105 x 105. The rules say that you should shrink it down to 80 x 80 at the most.

Just saying.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:10 pm

Hmm... it appears that the site in which I upload my GIF pic automatically turns it into a bigger JPG pic (!!).

Can anyone "host" my GIF pic so that I can use it in the pixel dimensions that I chose?

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:33 pm

I guess I could use my photobucket account to host it. Just provide me with the picture and I can give you the link.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:34 pm

err... I need your e-mail to do that O_o

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:24 pm

(e-mail already given)
Last edited by Son Goku on Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:47 pm

Okay, I'll send it to you.
Last edited by ngnikolaos on Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:44 pm

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:53 pm

Thanks! Can I buy you anything? Tea? Coffee? A new Porche?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:54 pm

I thought it was already agreed upon that Budokai Tenkaichi was a continuation of the Budokai series. After all, it does have the name incorrectly placed to show it's relevance.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:10 pm

I thought it was already agreed upon that Budokai Tenkaichi was a continuation of the Budokai series.
Well, not by everyone. There are many people who say that Budokai Tenkaichi has NOTHING to do with the previous Budokais. Of course, everyone is entitled to his opinion.

Ironic isn't it? Many people were bitching about DBZ "coming too late in the US". Yet, if it hadn't, these games would probably never been released for the PS2.

Hmm, I wonder what kind of game will be the first DBZ game for the PS3. A Tenkaichi 2 probably? (like Super Sonic Warriors 2 comes to the DS, instead of the GBA)

Riptor1

Re: Sorry guys... but Budokai Tenkaichi is indeed, Budokai 4

Post by Riptor1 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:12 pm

ngnikolaos wrote:PROOF THAT BUDOKAI TENKAICHI IS BUDOKAI 4

1) It follows the tradition of Budokai Character Roster
2) It has the same music
3) It has similar fighting style-gameplay in the combos
4) You can import data from Budokai 3

1) The previous Budokais had one thing in common as far as character roster goes: Each one would throw out 2-4 characters from the previous game's roster, then add 5-7 new ones. In Budokai Tenkaichi, we have the entire Budokai 3 roster, except from Uub and Omega Shenron, who were thrown out.

2) Nuff said. Based on the videos we've seen, all music clips are from the previous Budokais. Do you know many "different games" who use the soundtrack of previous games which have nothing to do with them? Definite sequel sign.

3) The way combos are executed is painfully similar to the Budokais. A 3-4 hit combo, followed by a "strong punch" or "strong kick", which knocks back the character metres away. The characters even use the "energy flashing" in the final knock-away attack, just like in the previous Budokais.

4) This is verified by reviewers in Gamespot and another site, it could be bogus, but if it turns out to be a solid fact, this is THE UTMOST proof that Tenkaichi is Budokai 4. Do you know many different games who IMPORT data from a PREVIOUS title? Definite sequel sign.

That's what I think.
I couldn't have put it better. Completely argee.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:46 am

Any way you slice it, each DBZ game for the PS2 is different in it's own relevance. Budokai 1 had the fully 3D fighters with a pure cut-scenes story mode. Budokai 2 had fresh cell-shaded fighters with a 2D board game formatted story mode, as well as the aspect of what-if scenarios and small changes to the fighting combat. Budokai 3 had revamped improved cell-shaded fighters and an all new RPG styled story mode and quite a different fighting combat system (teleporting, free flight, and dragon rush), not to mention elements from DBGT. Sagas gave us old school 3D polygonal fighters in a completly different playing matter, as it became a 3rd person beat 'em up action/adventure, and even included a game-exclusive original character; the Yardratean, Soba.

So, basicly Budokai Tenkaichi is taking certain elements from all these games (cut-scenes from B1, cell-shaded graphics improved from B2 and B3, and a 3rd person perspective from Sagas) and combining it with 60/90 characters, cutting out such fighters as Kaioshin, Omega Shenron, and Uub. Also making itself original in the aspect of it'a game system highly possibly not using in-game transformations. So basicly, we have a game taking all the positives from DBZ's previous PS2 games and adding it's own original concepts and removing certain fighters, we've got supposedly the best DBZ game yet.

I just pray it's the last DBZ game for the PS2, I know I've said that a million times before, but I'm serious. Atari is just milking us fans for all they can and after what Sagas provided, I was hoping DBZ PS2 games were done considering how awesome Budokai 3 was. I stand by my decision that Budokai 3 won't be surpassed as being the best, as Budokai Tenkaichi seems like it just won't out-do B3's greatness, even though there are very nice aspects (cut-scenes, many more characters, different story modes), Budokai 3 shall remain the best IMO despite what extremists are gonna say about it's dragon rush system. Budokai 3 was a nicly challenging game and offered the player like myself a number of replay value on the quest for 100% capsules, however Budokai Tenkaichi appears to be making it's only challenging aspect the new controller style,
14 years later

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:41 am

The way I figure it, there's going to be a Tenkaichi 2 for the PS3 (probably), having more costumes, a few more transformations, more spectacular moves, and more GT / DB characters.
Any way you slice it, each DBZ game for the PS2 is different in it's own relevance.
I agree. But being a bit different doesn't mean it's not a sequel. And frankly I'm happy that Tenkaichi plays differently than Budokai 3. Budokai 3 offered all it had to offer in the specific formula, and it was time for a change. Let's hope that Tenkaichi's formula is going to be as addictive as that of Budokai 3.

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:16 pm

Who gives a care if it is Budokai 4 or not?

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:34 pm

You obviously, don't.