What voices do you dislike that others like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: What voices do you dislike that others like?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:32 pm

To be honest I think Stephanie Nadolny's voice is great for teen Gohan, but for a little kid I just don't think the voice fits.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Stephanie Naldony has never voiced a teenage Gohan.

I blame the video games for calling Cell Games-era Gohan "teen". You are not a teen until you're 13.

Kyle Hebert plays a teenage Gohan.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Rocketman wrote:Nozawa, Nozawa, Nozawa. The only reason I will never move to the Japanese version is her horrid voice squatting over the two characters with the most screentime.
I wouldn't have been quite so harsh, but I agree for the most part. Some people don't like Nadolny's rasp, I just cannot get into Nozawa's characters. As such, it's difficult to get an impression for the Japanese version.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:58 am

I don't like Sabat's Yamcha, especially in DBZ, it's too "surfer-dude-who-thinks-he's-cool" for Yamcha.
Tohru Furuya's the only Yamcha voice for me :)

Same with most of the official english voices compared to the japanese voices, I think the japanese voices suit the characters better.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:23 pm

You know, I don't really like Sabat's Yamcha either, but it's not really bad... I just think it lacks "I'm so cool!...okay not really. :(". Yamcha's supposed to be this cool pretty boy. but being in a gag manga, he ends up being funny instead of cool. Sabat's Yamcha is just so generic...or something. :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:25 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:You know, I don't really like Sabat's Yamcha either, but it's not really bad... I just think it lacks "I'm so cool!...okay not really. :(". Yamcha's supposed to be this cool pretty boy. but being in a gag manga, he ends up being funny instead of cool. Sabat's Yamcha is just so generic...or something. :/
The irony is that the description of what you said he should be is also generic. I thought Sabat's voice was actually quite fitting for the character type. Granted the earlier work is over blown but now a days he really has it down pat. Just my take on it though.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:05 am

What I mean is, I think he should sound cool, but as a joke for a gag manga. Toru Furuya sounds this way, I think.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:55 pm

I really the second Ocean Voice for Goku, the ocean voice for Krillin and Piccolo, and The Japanese Trunks.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Really? Scott McNeil's Piccolo?? I don't think I've ever heard it being disliked before. :O

Which Trunks are you talking about? Adolescent or boy?

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Really? Scott McNeil's Piccolo?? I don't think I've ever heard it being disliked before. :O

Which Trunks are you talking about? Adolescent or boy?
Yeah, i think Scott`s Piccolo sounds like... like... it just doesn't sound good to me at all.
I do not like the Japanese Voice Actor for either of Trunks forms. It just sounds way off to me.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Child Trunks I can understand, but adult Trunks... He's supposed to sound polite and Gohan-like, being that Gohan was his mentor. What is it you dislike about it?

19Nyoi-bō95

Post by 19Nyoi-bō95 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Masako Nozawa
LOVER OF DUBS AND SUBS!!!!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:44 pm

19Nyoi-bō95 wrote:Masako Nozawa
I agree, but only because I don't like that she voices the entire family with the exception of Raditz.
Her Goku is fine, but they should have made someone else voice Gohan, Goten & Bardock.
It becomes irritating, when the characters grow up like in GT, where we have adult Gohan, adult Goku(although he's a kid most of the time) and adult Goten.

19Nyoi-bō95

Post by 19Nyoi-bō95 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:03 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
19Nyoi-bō95 wrote:Masako Nozawa
I agree, but only because I don't like that she voices the entire family with the exception of Raditz.
Her Goku is fine, but they should have made someone else voice Gohan, Goten & Bardock.
It becomes irritating, when the characters grow up like in GT, where we have adult Gohan, adult Goku(although he's a kid most of the time) and adult Goten.
aggreed
LOVER OF DUBS AND SUBS!!!!

Kakarotto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarotto » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:23 pm

I dislike the voice changes in kai. I will laugh in April if kai turns out to be a failed experiment.
Bald that way

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:32 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Child Trunks I can understand, but adult Trunks... He's supposed to sound polite and Gohan-like, being that Gohan was his mentor. What is it you dislike about it?
His acting is great, i agree with that, but the voice just doesn't do it for me.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Kakarotto wrote:I dislike the voice changes in kai. I will laugh in April if kai turns out to be a failed experiment.
Care to share any specifics? Or at least which cast, English or Japanese?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!