Piccolo fingers

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Piccolo fingers

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:38 pm

Is it true that Piccolo only has 3 fingers and a thumb in the Manga?, I heard this from somebody, but never checked the manga.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:50 pm

Yes, Namekians have a total of 4 fingers. But in one panel in vol 12 or 13. Piccolo has 5 fingers saying "I'll kill you in only 5 seconds."

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:34 pm

Well, he has four fingers, including a thumb. :shock:

Correct me if I'm mistaken (which I usually am), but I think that the anime portrayed him with five.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:35 pm

ChaotixXero wrote:Yes, Namekians have a total of 4 fingers. But in one panel in vol 12 or 13. Piccolo has 5 fingers saying "I'll kill you in only 5 seconds."
It was in vol. 13. And the Viz manga points it out too.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:46 pm

That must had been annoying to have to add a finger to all the key cells of the Anime
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:10 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:That must had been annoying to have to add a finger to all the key cells of the Anime
Actually, the most likely reason they gave him five fingers in the anime was to make it easier on themselves. It's easier just to have everyone with 5 fingers (a normal hand) than to have to keep track of odd alien finger schemes.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:59 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
ChaotixXero wrote:Yes, Namekians have a total of 4 fingers. But in one panel in vol 12 or 13. Piccolo has 5 fingers saying "I'll kill you in only 5 seconds."
It's actually Toriyama who points it out -- I think he did it just so Piccolo could illustrate the "5 seconds" thing with his hand.

I should also mention that I'm having serious déjà-vu reading this thread. Some point in the past, I made the same observation you made, and Rachel made the correction that I'm giving you now. :? Weird.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:11 am

The fact that Toei didn't remain consistent with the fingers is just another point at which they were lazy and why the anime is so sub par.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:10 am

I've never noticed! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:08 am

Slickmasterfunk wrote:I've never noticed! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ironically, I've never noticed the opposite! :lol:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:24 pm

Duo wrote:The fact that Toei didn't remain consistent with the fingers is just another point at which they were lazy and why the anime is so sub par.
What does that have anything to do with the topic at hand? Not to mention the fact that Xyex explained the very reason why they did it in a couple of posts just above you. Sorry about this guys, but I'm so sick of fans bashing and complaining about every little nitpicky, miniscule thing out there.

In the end, does it really matter all THAT much whether or not Piccolo had four or five fingers in the anime? Seriously, like some people have said, one way or the other, they hadn't even noticed.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:46 pm

Duo, you've made it abundantly clear that you prefer the manga over the anime. Fine, enough. You don't need to shove your egomaniacal ideals down our throats. Perhaps it has never occurred to you that some of us actually prefer the anime for various reasons.

Give it a rest already.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:46 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
It's actually Toriyama who points it out -- I think he did it just so Piccolo could illustrate the "5 seconds" thing with his hand.

I should also mention that I'm having serious déjà-vu reading this thread. Some point in the past, I made the same observation you made, and Rachel made the correction that I'm giving you now. :? Weird.
Would that be vol. 13 of DB or DBZ? (Damn you for splitting them Viz!)

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:14 pm

That would be 13 of DB, or the Japanese 13.

On a side note, isn't there a similar situation with Cell, where he has three fingers in the manga, and five in the anime? Or am I misremembering something?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:07 pm

TripleRach wrote:That would be 13 of DB, or the Japanese 13.

On a side note, isn't there a similar situation with Cell, where he has three fingers in the manga, and five in the anime? Or am I misremembering something?
Not sure about Cell but I'm pretty sure they gave Super Buu and Kid Buu fingers in the anime and he didn't have them in the manga. It's possible the same happened with Cell though. He's part Namek so it's possible he had 3 fingers in the manga.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:09 pm

I haven't gotten far enough to see Perect Cell but it seems the form before he absorbs #17 and #18 has 3 fingers while the form that absorbed #17 has 5 fingers. So I'm guessing P. Cell also has 5 fingers.

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:37 pm

Duo wrote:The fact that Toei didn't remain consistent with the fingers is just another point at which they were lazy and why the anime is so sub par.
YEAH! My thoughts exactly

The anime sucked because Piccolo had 5 fingers instead of 4! Heresy I tell you! Damn lazy animators. I could have done it all myself blindfolded and with just my toes.

:wink:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:41 pm

TripleRach wrote:That would be 13 of DB, or the Japanese 13.

In the manga he grows two more fingers after absorbing #17.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:43 pm

Yeah, it makes sense that Cell would develop more humanoid characteristics as he became closer to perfection. Same with Majin Buu, in a way.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:30 am

They (and Akira Toriyama) could have made Cell with 4 fingers after he absorbed #17 and 5 when he absorved #18.

Even so, why aren't they so nit-picky with toes? I think both Cell and Freeza have 3 toes (at least, in Cell's first form), and their feet appear many times.