Kai Episode 90 (23 January 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 90 (23 January 2011)

Post by RazorX » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:10 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 90. Originally broadcast 23 January 2011.

死闘に決着!悟空決断の時
Shitō ni Kecchaku! Gokū Ketsudan no Toki
A Conclusion to the Death Match! Time for Goku's Decision

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Kai Episode 90 (23rd January 2011)

Post by Hujio » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:07 am

Actually, I'd probably go with:

死闘に決着!悟空、決断の時
Shitou ni Kecchaku! Gokuu, Ketsudan no Toki
A Conclusion to the Death-Match! Goku, Time to Make a Decision

That comma can make a big difference. Although your actually translation is perfectly fine, unless you're anal about that comma.

Anyway, haven't watched the episode yet, but I'm sure it's quite a doozy based on the preview. We're getting so close to Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation!
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:50 am

I was stunned how--for a third consecutive week--Wakamoto placed effort into his performance. His screams were strong and sharp. If only he had been this on-the-ball for his other fights.

Doesn't look like we'll get to the Cell Juniors next week. Probably #92 (which will be the six hundredth episode for Nozawa and Yanami), which I assume will end with Gohan's transformation.

#92: Finishes #183, ending with #184.
#93: #185 through half/part of #186.
#94: Finishes #186 and #187.
#95: #188-189.
#96: #190-191.
#97: #192-193.
#98: #194.

Hmmm...things are going to be interesting from here on out. I wonder if Wasted Wisher will pop up with news again...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:59 am

It never occured to me before but the senzu that Cell gets from Goku does give Cell a power boost right? That wouldn't be really ''fair'' if you'd ask me. Silly Goku. :roll:

Edit: if NickToons ever gets to this episode I'd bet they will cut the whole scene where Gohan is getting pumled in the face.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:07 pm

Son Wukong wrote:It never occured to me before but the senzu that Cell gets from Goku does give Cell a power boost right?
Why would Cell gain a power boost from eating a Senzu? He wasn't close to death. All that happened was he ate the Senzu, powered back up to his fresh state and no increase in power was ever noted.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:06 pm

I don't mean that ''huge-near-death'' power up but just the general notion that one gets stronger after a fight.
Like Yamcha and Tenshinhan get better after a training or sparring session or a fight without the ability of a zenkai (is this the correct term?) power up I'm just assuming the same would apply to Cell but then on another scale.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:35 pm

Son Wukong wrote:I don't mean that ''huge-near-death'' power up but just the general notion that one gets stronger after a fight.
Like Yamcha and Tenshinhan get better after a training or sparring session or a fight without the ability of a zenkai (is this the correct term?) power up I'm just assuming the same would apply to Cell but then on another scale.
There's no specific one word term(AFAIK) for the Saiya-jins' power ups they receive, when they are fully recovered from a near death experience, so "zenkai" is indeed incorrect.

And Cell didn't get stronger from that fight, if he did he would surely have noted it himself.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:58 pm

dbgtFO wrote: And Cell didn't get stronger from that fight, if he did he would surely have noted it himself.
To simplify the process: you fight, you recover and you become stronger than before. The recovery part is just sped up by the senzu but the notion still applies. Ask yourself this, can the sum of progress over an entire life from anyone with Saiya-jin blood be ascribed just to ''near-death'' power ups? i.e. Can the Saiya-jin become stronger only by using the ''near-death'' power ups? I think not.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:42 am

All those face-reaction shots right in a row; I felt like I was just waiting for the one cut-a-way shot where someone would be wearing a mustache or a monocle for only that shot before cutting away again to someone else's shocked face with absolutely no explanation. XD
Or maybe I'm just really sleepy; everything's hilarious when you're sleepy.

Anyway, Goku giving Cell the senzu is up there with Goku letting Freeza reach 100%. I think it's a stupid decision (Goku's my favorite DB character, but I still think it's a dumb move), but that's just Goku-logic and I could see--speaking outside the universe and in terms of writing a storyline--how if the hero doesn't defeat the villain with the villain at his peak that you could argue about how if he hadn't been at his peak that the hero would never have beat him.

I'm anxious for Wasted Wisher to return and give confirmation on what's going on with Kai, the Buu arc (or not), and the time slot.

Also, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen these episodes since the Funi dub of them aired on Toonami back in the day, that is a long gap of time. O_O
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Son Wukong wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: And Cell didn't get stronger from that fight, if he did he would surely have noted it himself.
To simplify the process: you fight, you recover and you become stronger than before. The recovery part is just sped up by the senzu but the notion still applies. Ask yourself this, can the sum of progress over an entire life from anyone with Saiya-jin blood be ascribed just to ''near-death'' power ups? i.e. Can the Saiya-jin become stronger only by using the ''near-death'' power ups? I think not.
It isn't noted, therefore it didn't happen. All that happens is Cell powers back up to normal.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Hujio wrote:Actually, I'd probably go with:

死闘に決着!悟空、決断の時
Shitou ni Kecchaku! Gokuu, Ketsudan no Toki
A Conclusion to the Death-Match! Goku, Time to Make a Decision

That comma can make a big difference. Although your actually translation is perfectly fine, unless you're anal about that comma.

Anyway, haven't watched the episode yet, but I'm sure it's quite a doozy based on the preview. We're getting so close to Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation!
Thanks. Yeah the SSJ2 transformation is close. It'd be interesting to see if they use an insert song, they may surprise us with an insert song we haven't heard before.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

RazorX wrote:It'd be interesting to see if they use an insert song, they may surprise us with an insert song we haven't heard before.
At this point, I doubt it. Well I should say, if they do use one, it'll be one that we've heard before. They won't use an insert song that they can't put on a CD, and with the next "Complete Song Collection" album not containing any new material, it's hard to venture they would use something new. But I guess time will tell, since we've been wrong before. Sometimes Toei is so hard to read from a fan perspective.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Hujio wrote:
RazorX wrote:It'd be interesting to see if they use an insert song, they may surprise us with an insert song we haven't heard before.
At this point, I doubt it. Well I should say, if they do use one, it'll be one that we've heard before. They won't use an insert song that they can't put on a CD, and with the next "Complete Song Collection" album not containing any new material, it's hard to venture they would use something new. But I guess time will tell, since we've been wrong before. Sometimes Toei is so hard to read from a fan perspective.
With Goku's SSJ transformation, Toei could get away with utilising a previously used theme because they did so in DBZ. (Not saying I agree with it but that's probably the logic Toei used when creating the scene for Kai) However with Gohan's SSJ2 transformation, Toei used a very specific and awesome insert song, Spirit vs Spirit, in DBZ. They should follow suit in Kai. If they don't, I'd say that "The Braveheart Challenges the Strong" or "The Ebb and the Flow" could work.

In any case, I hope Toei do the scene in the episode and then recreate the same scene in the recap with different music so we have 2 different "versions" of Gohan's SSJ2 transformation scene, as Toei did for Goku's SSJ transformation scene in Kai.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:50 am

The person who has been selecting the music is Yukio Nagasaki, the director of audiography, and he doesn't belong to Toei. In DBZ, it was Shigeru Miyashita.