Son Goku and Family Responsibility

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Son Goku and Family Responsibility

Post by Mr. Robot » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:08 pm

I'll keep it short: What's the deal with Goku? We all know of Z's ending, but...

1: Throughout the series he is hardly with his wife (well...not as much as you might say those married should be.)
2: He leaves when Goten is only 18, and hardly knows his dad because he's been dead so long.

and, though I love the last episode of GT (much better than the Z ending), Goku doesn't even say a proper good bye to Chi-chi. He addresses her with the rest of the group when Shenlong comes, but... How come he can take the time to see Picolo and Kuririn?

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:19 pm

That situation annoyed me a little too. It's just Goku...the way he is. Deep down he is a Saiya-jin, and his instincts seem to prevail above others. This is shown when only Vegeta and possibly Piccolo are the only ones who know exactly why he is leaving (to fight Uubu at full power while fully trained). Then again with that handy Shunkan Idou technique, their ability to fly around the world and his promise to visit his granddaughter often, I guess they never worried too much.

But you do have a point with the GT fiasco. He knew he wouldn't be back for a long time...Goku can be a thoughtless bastard sometimes! :P
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:24 pm

Goku spent 10 years with Goten after Buu. Goku proabably visitied once in a while while training Uub. All he needs to do is lock onto someone's Ki and thats it. So it wouldn't take long for visiting. Saiyans don't spend time with they're family anyway.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:11 am

You guys haven't even brought up when Earth was first destroyed, Goku instead saved Hercule and Dende (despite the Earth dragonballs being destroyed anyway) than his own sons, that above all else was as irresponsible as he could ever be, the thing with GT is it's ending can be interpruted in so many ways. My interprutation is Goku made a deal with Shenron subconsiously that for one last wish, he would go into exile with him for the 100 year duration of the dragonballs last wish, all though none of that is actually stated. Regaurding the events that happen in the Goku Jr. special and episode 64's last 8 minutes, perhaps he was forbidden by Shenron to see all those he previously knew before leaving with him. After all, Goku suddenly dissapeared in the special after Pan flew by in the helicopter, as well as in the last episode where he walked off after she caught glimpse of him.
14 years later

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:10 am

I think Goku saying a personal goodbye to Chi-Chi and Bulma would've been the best way to go, after all, they were there in the very beginning of it all. The best way to end a story is to remind you of how it began. Thats what I love so much about The Path to Power, it reminds you that it was the adventure of one boy and one girl that started one of the greatest tales of all.

JDrozen

Post by JDrozen » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:07 am

masenko wrote:it reminds you that it was the adventure of one boy and one girl that started one of the greatest tales of all.
If you count the entire Dragon Ball. As the Dragon Ball Z progressed it stoped reminding at all. DBZ is Toriyama's bastard child, a disgrace of his own work.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:49 am

Goku was not being cold or irresponsible when he didn't save his own sons, Trunks, and Piccolo. He just happened to grab Dende and Mr. Satan first because they were closer. He was going to go for Gohan and the others but there wasn't any time. He even thinks that in his head, he practically doesn't even have time to do Shuukan Idou. It was thanks to Kaioshin at that point that they were saved at all.

And how is DBZ a "bastard child" of Toriyama's DB, when the entire manga was always known as DB? It was only the anime that distinguished them.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:50 am

Well if he didn't grab Mr.Satan he wouldn't of been able to kill Buu. =o

dim_sum_boy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dim_sum_boy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:58 pm

Demi wrote:Well if he didn't grab Mr.Satan he wouldn't of been able to kill Buu. =o
If Goku saves Gohan, then Gohan could of beat Kid Buu easily.
Come and view my Metroid Prime speed run.
http://www.archive.org/details/MetroidPrime_hard_132

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:20 pm

dim_sum_boy wrote:
Demi wrote:Well if he didn't grab Mr.Satan he wouldn't of been able to kill Buu. =o
If Goku saves Gohan, then Gohan could of beat Kid Buu easily.
How could Gohan beat Kid Buu when his contributed energy to the genki-dama (and it was all he had since anymore would be his life energy) wasn't enough to beat Buu? Please, let us NOT start a discussion on who's the strongest of the Buus, because then manga purists and anime purists (such as myself) would be debating for likley 10 pages, only to eventually be closed by our Master EX-sama.
14 years later

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:25 pm

Did Goku not suggest wishing Gohan and Gotenks to come defeat Boo?
Where's the beef?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:54 pm

How could Gohan beat Kid Buu when his contributed energy to the genki-dama (and it was all he had since anymore would be his life energy) wasn't enough to beat Buu? Please, let us NOT start a discussion on who's the strongest of the Buus, because then manga purists and anime purists (such as myself) would be debating for likley 10 pages, only to eventually be closed by our Master EX-sama.
Gotenks or Gohan would have trounced Kid Buu. It's why Toriyama set it up for them to be blown up with the Earth. And then when that Spirit Bomb idea came to him he made Vegeta stress that it was up to the people of Earth to save themselves this time for the same reason.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

dim_sum_boy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dim_sum_boy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:57 pm

I was talking about if Goku saves Gohan instead of Mr. Satan. Then Dende could heal him and Gohan would of Beat Kid Buu. I know that Super Buu is stronger than Kid Buu. Gohan can easily beat Super Buu, so that means he can beat Kid Buu.
Come and view my Metroid Prime speed run.
http://www.archive.org/details/MetroidPrime_hard_132

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:15 pm

...exactly. Which is WHY they were left to die on earth. Read the post above yours. Having Gohan or Gotenks just come along and beat up Buu easily won't be fun to watch. Seeing Goku and Vegeta struggle and then finaly manage to beat him is fun to watch.

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:44 pm

JDrozen wrote:
masenko wrote:it reminds you that it was the adventure of one boy and one girl that started one of the greatest tales of all.
If you count the entire Dragon Ball. As the Dragon Ball Z progressed it stoped reminding at all. DBZ is Toriyama's bastard child, a disgrace of his own work.
What the hell are you talking about? DBZ is all about Goku's past and heritage(except Buu).

JDrozen

Post by JDrozen » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:26 pm

ChaotixXero wrote:What the hell are you talking about? DBZ is all about Goku's past and heritage(except Buu).
It's like these. Imagine DBZ a cancer feeding on Dragon Ball's popularity. It's geting bigger and in the same time uglyer until it goes so big it squashes Dragon Ball, Toriyamas dignity and his competence as a manga writer.

I will write a lengthy post about it soon.

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:53 pm

JDrozen wrote:
ChaotixXero wrote:What the hell are you talking about? DBZ is all about Goku's past and heritage(except Buu).
It's like these. Imagine DBZ a cancer feeding on Dragon Ball's popularity. It's geting bigger and in the same time uglyer until it goes so big it squashes Dragon Ball, Toriyamas dignity and his competence as a manga writer.

I will write a lengthy post about it soon.
Please don't.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:13 pm

I agree with Demi. Please spare us that. I see you conveniently ignored my post above about how the manga never distinguished between the two. It was only the anime. Even these days in Japan, the entire series is referred to as DB.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:59 pm

I think it goes back to Japanese tradition. In a history course I took once, we learned that work (or in this case Goku's training) is often put ahead of family. Goku's priorities simply differ than what we're used to.
JDrozen wrote:DBZ is Toriyama's bastard child, a disgrace of his own work.
If this isn't a troll of a post I don't know what is.

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:54 pm

tarsonis wrote:I think it goes back to Japanese tradition. In a history course I took once, we learned that work (or in this case Goku's training) is often put ahead of family. Goku's priorities simply differ than what we're used to.
Yeah, sure. But he doesn't even say good-bye to his wife--or sons, for that matter--at the end of GT? That sickens me. Dude, you're going away for the rest of eternity, take a little (and I mean little) time to be with your family. He didn't even have to say he was leaving.

The special redeemed it for me a little...I mean, at least he came back (however the hell he did that) to see one of his great great descendants...

But still.