Son Goku and Family Responsibility

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:12 pm

Well, considering it's a shonen...most shonen series don't really include things that would seem normal. Dragon Ball's more about the fighting than explaining things like that.

But really, it's all about Son Goku. He's a pretty immature guy. He probably cares more about fighting than his family. Perhaps the relationships with Kuririn and Piccolo were more meaninful? :lol:

But yes, him saying goodbye to Bulma would've been fitting. I don't know though, I never watched GT.

Mmm...on the topic of Goku saving Mr. Satan but not his sons...he had to choose from a few options in so little time. If he saved Satan and Dende, he could've teleported out right before Earth exploded, and Dende could be useful as a healer in the fight with Buu. If he saved his sons and friends, it would've taken more time, and Earth could've exploded by then. Or he could've went for all of them, or none at all. So going with Satan was the easiest way to ensure at least someone would survive.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:04 am

Mr. Robot wrote:
tarsonis wrote:I think it goes back to Japanese tradition. In a history course I took once, we learned that work (or in this case Goku's training) is often put ahead of family. Goku's priorities simply differ than what we're used to.
Yeah, sure. But he doesn't even say good-bye to his wife--or sons, for that matter--at the end of GT? That sickens me. Dude, you're going away for the rest of eternity, take a little (and I mean little) time to be with your family. He didn't even have to say he was leaving.

The special redeemed it for me a little...I mean, at least he came back (however the hell he did that) to see one of his great great descendants...

But still.
That's why I like to think of that (filler?) episode with the party celebrating Buu's defeat as the last DBZ episode.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:26 pm

You have to remember, Goku was pretty much forced into marrage. I'm sure somewhere along the line they developed a friendship, if you could call it that. But all in all, Goku had no plans to marry Chi-Chi. Remember how he thought it was something to eat? There's no way Goku could make it as a husband/father figure in the real world.

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:21 pm

You have to remember, arranged marriages were common in classical Japan (and in many other cultures.)

In other words, they were forced into marriage.

Does that mean they could never be couples in the "real world?"

Sorry if I sound rude, but many--and once upon a time most--cultures do not work the way ours does. It's not boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, date for three years, get married. It's boy and girl meet, have know idea who each other are, get married. In some cultures, they didn't even meet until the wedding day. In these marriages, love was not "lovey dovey"; instead, husband and wife got used to each other and came to love each other in their own way.

They were "forced" into marriage; yet in most cases they had more of a sense of responsibility to their spouses and family than Goku.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:01 am

Mr. Robot wrote:You have to remember, arranged marriages were common in classical Japan (and in many other cultures.)

Actually, Goku kind of said he was gonna do it, then at the Tenkaichi Budokai, once again said yes. No one was 'forced' to do anything.

Although I'm quite certain Goku had no idea what he was getting himself into :P
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:14 am

tealsmith wrote:
Mr. Robot wrote:You have to remember, arranged marriages were common in classical Japan (and in many other cultures.)

Actually, Goku kind of said he was gonna do it, then at the Tenkaichi Budokai, once again said yes. No one was 'forced' to do anything.

Although I'm quite certain Goku had no idea what he was getting himself into :P
As stated earlier, he thought it was something to eat, so he said yes. He never came back, so at the Budokai Chichi came after him, and he agreed to marry her since he indeed promise her when he was younger.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.