Bardock Special: Director's Cut

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DNA
I Live Here

Bardock Special: Director's Cut

Post by DNA » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Right, don't get too excited, this doesn't exist yet, but this project has been on my brain since ever.

I know there's plenty of people here who know how to screen capture and manipulate video files, so I'll be asking for help and guidance here.

My main project is something not too complicated, from what I've seen, I want to add about 10 minutes of footage into the Bardock special. Mainly little snippets from Saiyan history that happen during the same day (days?) of Planet Vegeta's demise. I've pinpointed the exact footage and times I need:

Dragon Ball Z TV Series
Special 1
A Final Solitary Battle
Total: 47:48 minutes

Dragon Ball Z TV Series
Episode 78
A Nightmare Super-Transformation!!
4:52 to 6:57
7:18 to 11:08
Total: 5:55 minutes

Dragon Ball Movies
Movie 11 (Dragon Ball Z Movie 8)
Burn Up!! A Close – Intense – Super-Fierce Battle
38:44 to 40:23
Total: 1:39 minutes

Dragon Ball Movies
Movie 8 (Dragon Ball Z Movie 5)
The Incredible Strongest vs Strongest
1:26 to 2:56
Total: 1:30

Unfortunately I only own one of the pieces in Dragon Box format, episode 78, I'm missing Bardock's Special, Broly's Movie and Coola's Movie. Maybe some gentle soul will donate me the files in good quality so I can work with them?

I know more or less where to put the footage, except for the pieces concerning the end, like Broly and Coola, everything else fits in nicely.

I hope this doesn't dwelve into anything considered illegal and I also hope someone takes interest in helping me.

Thanks everyone!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Bardock Special: Director's Cut

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am

I know lots of people have spoken about doing this in the past... I think Tanooki might have even done a rough-cut with FUNimation's English dub at some point...?

What exact footage do you have there? Is that the King Vegeta stuffage in episode 78? I know episode 100ish is the filler/flashback scene of Vegeta + Nappa + Raditz that could be fun to splice in, maybe as an epilogue or something.

It would definitely make for a neat little mini-movie. Listing things out like this is really helpful to anyone who wants to go about doing it (I might even finally do so for myself and time out the subs). I really can't speak to donating footage or anything, but knock yourself out if you do indeed get the footage.

That would make for an interesting podcast episode, now that I think about it... splicing it all together, watching it, and seeing how it all makes sense in a larger story...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:54 am

Yeah I've been thinking about it for quite a while. Personally I've only got the footage from episode 78 (King Vegeta) because the movies and specials haven't been released by Funimation yet, that's the sole reason. I'm asking for footage simply because I don't want to wait for Funimation to release it so I can finally start working on the project, that could be another year or two of waiting.

I know exactly the footage you are talking about, it's somewhere on episode 104, I never considered adding it because it's set many years after, and you would also have Vegeta as a kid saying he doesn't care about his own race's demise just a few minutes before the actual end.

There's only one minor problem, that is when the Paragus scene starts and when it ends, Paragus talks over it. But I think it would be quite easy to take away the sound and it would still make sense.

Yes, I've been analysing and it does look interesting, you have Paragus talking about Broly helping BECAUSE King Vegeta is attempting to rescue his son and you have Freeza deciding to destroy all Saiyans on that moment because King Vegeta attacked him, we all know it's something Freeza had been thinking off for a while, but it makes it look like King Vegeta's betrayal was the last straw.

It does all fit in very nicely, and I've already figured out the perfect spots on where to put everything, except, like I said, the ending pieces. You have planet Vegeta being destroyed by Freeza, then you have another angle with Broly and Paragus escaping, then you have yet another angle with Coola watching, I just don't feel comfortable with showing the planet exploding three times from three different angles, I think it might look silly.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 am

Hm, would the footage from the Dragon Box masters-based spanish DVDs do? I could probably extract all of those scenes for you if you want... though, do you really want the Dragon Box version of the movies? The difference in aspect ratio will be a rather large issue; you'd probably be better off using the FUNi singles for that.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 am

Puto wrote:Hm, would the footage from the Dragon Box masters-based spanish DVDs do? I could probably extract all of those scenes for you if you want... though, do you really want the Dragon Box version of the movies? The difference in aspect ratio will be a rather large issue; you'd probably be better off using the FUNi singles for that.
You're right, the movies are in 16:9 aren't there? Hmm... I dunno... it all must fit together nicely. Maybe the footage from the singles is indeed better.

Also I rechecked the footage from episode 104 and it would do quite a nice epilogue, I also instantly thought about mashing some footage from Broly's teen years in between. The only thing left would be the banter between Gourd and Vegeta, lol :P

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:15 am

DNA wrote:The only thing left would be the banter between Gourd and Vegeta, lol :P
Oh, right... that's good stuff, too.

Anyone wanna help just list out the episode numbers and approximate times within the episodes? That'd be really helpful to anyone who also wants to get in on the project.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:23 am

VegettoEX wrote:
DNA wrote:The only thing left would be the banter between Gourd and Vegeta, lol :P
Oh, right... that's good stuff, too.

Anyone wanna help just list out the episode numbers and approximate times within the episodes? That'd be really helpful to anyone who also wants to get in on the project.
Well I just listed the first snippets, I'll get the rest soon. Also, since you got the idea of an epilogue, why not a prologue? With the snippets from the Saiyan/Tsufur war? We get some from Kaio, some from Dr. Raichi and some from Baby himself and presto!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 am

DNA wrote:Well I just listed the first snippets, I'll get the rest soon. Also, since you got the idea of an epilogue, why not a prologue? With the snippets from the Saiyan/Tsufur war? We get some from Kaio, some from Dr. Raichi and some from Baby himself and presto!
That's not a bad idea, either! Of course, mixing it all together gives some contradictions from what I understand/remember, so it might be worth it to kinda edit a video montage and record new narration over the top :P.

This almost brings it back to that idea of making a "Fan TV Special" when you get into THAT level of editing, though... which I'm not opposed to... >.>

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 am

A prologue? I suppose you could use Kaiō's narration of the Saiyan-Tsufrian war, the one with the insert song. Since Kaiō is coincidentally voiced by Jōji Yanami, we could just pretend it's the narrator saying it instead of him.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:31 am

Puto wrote:A prologue? I suppose you could use Kaiō's narration of the Saiyan-Tsufrian war, the one with the insert song. Since Kaiō is coincidentally voiced by Jōji Yanami, we could just pretend it's the narrator saying it instead of him.
Yes but the problem is we can't use it all because of all that bullshit about planet Vegeta's Kami destroying the planet. We can only use what he shows about the savage Saiyans and stuff like that. I'm thinking that maybe we can cut all the audio, mash all the video together and use "Battle Coloured Warriors" on top of it all, just have a montage with audio, the footage is pretty self explanatory anyway. I'm visualizing the bit where Raichi's ship flies off you can have a picture of Hatchiak in fade out, just to show what it means and do the same to Baby. This way you get rid of inconsistencies with the narration and narrators, you also can freely cut whatever is complete bullshit.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:34 am

That would be a really neat idea. Could take the audio from that scene and edit a new video montage over top. If I really wanted to and needed more "time", I could also fade the song into the CD version (though it would go from a mono version to a nice-sounding stereo version, so that might be a little jarring).

Basically what DNA just said, also :P.

Don't want to "steal" the idea, but the more this is discussed, the more I want to actually get it on it. Got all the footage and audio necessary... It would be cool to collaborate on scripting things out and arranging scenes.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:35 am

VegettoEX wrote:(though it would go from a mono version to a nice-sounding stereo version, so that might be a little jarring).
You can always artificially lower the quality of the CD version. We can also see if kei17 can provide his VHS-recorded original-broadcast audio for the scene :E

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:58 am

I don't really figure it like stealing, which might be a bit hypocritical of me since I made a big fuss about it in the AF project (granted it was an already on-going project and this one is still in the works so it's a different matter), this is one of them "from the fans, to the fans" type of project. I figure it doesn't matter who does it, as long as it gets done and shared to the fandom.

So here's the deal, I do have all the necessary footage and media right here, on bootleg DVD's, I can do it all but with a slightly lower quality. Like I've said many times, the only footage I've got on Dragon Box quality is King Vegeta's revolution. The good news is, if I use the bootlegs, everything will fit nicely, the bad news is, I lack the necessary video capturing, video editing and subbing skills. I won't mind learning it if someone would be kind to explain it to me, but it' really hard for me to learn it by myself.

Anyway, I'm gonna do the necessary research for the times within the episodes of the new footage we agreed upon and I'll pop back in a while.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Whereas I already have all of the footage via the Dragon Boxes, the editing skills, the subbing skills, etc. :P

I'd love to handle all of that stuff, so long as other folks want to help piece together the exact footage, the order of it all, editing suggestions, etc.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:52 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Whereas I already have all of the footage via the Dragon Boxes, the editing skills, the subbing skills, etc. :P

I'd love to handle all of that stuff, so long as other folks want to help piece together the exact footage, the order of it all, editing suggestions, etc.
No probs, leave that to me, I've already got a pretty good idea of it all in my mind. Personally I think we should start by doing it in 3 separate parts, prologue, actual thing and epilogue and then glue them together.

For the actual movie you're pretty much already set, this is what you need:

Dragon Ball Z TV Series
Special 1
A Final Solitary Battle
Total: 47:48 minutes

Dragon Ball Z TV Series
Episode 78
A Nightmare Super-Transformation!!
4:52 to 6:57
7:18 to 11:08
Total: 5:55 minutes

Dragon Ball Movies
Movie 11 (Dragon Ball Z Movie 8)
Burn Up!! A Close – Intense – Super-Fierce Battle
38:44 to 40:23
Total: 1:39 minutes

Dragon Ball Movies
Movie 8 (Dragon Ball Z Movie 5)
The Incredible Strongest vs Strongest
1:26 to 2:56
Total: 1:30

Now as to where to put them, this is my personal opinion, take away the eyecathes and put them in these spots and I think they'll fit nicely:

Freeza requesting Prince Vegeta - At the beggining, right after Bardock's team finished the attack on planet Kanasa, but before we see them sitting down talking on the same planet.
Paragus appealing to King Vegeta - in place of the 1st eyecatch
King Vegeta's Revolution - in place of the 3rd eyecatch

Now for these two pieces I'm not too sure, I'll leave them to your or someone else's opinion:
Broly and Paragus surviving - ???
Coola watching - ???

Edit: the 2nd eyecatch need a slight edit, it's where Bardock rushes towards Dodoria's Elite. All that's needed is to cut a bit out and it will flow naturally.

Edit 2: The bits with Broly and Paragus feature Paragus narrating them for a few seconds at the beggning and the end, that'll need audio cuts and everything else will flow naturally.

Edit 3: Oh! Crud! Forgot about this. I think we would all benefit worldwide of an Japanese audio and English dub version, I think it would be fair for everyone.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 pm

I don't think an English version is necessarily. Aside from it being more work...the dub isn't exactly good or accurate. The only thing stopping people from enjoying the original is themselves.

Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this pans out. My only concern is the movies being in 16:9 and how that will mix with the 4:3 of the episodes and specials. Hardcoding black on the sides seems like it'd up the file size. Hmmm...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 pm

DNA wrote:I think we would all benefit worldwide of an Japanese audio and English dub version, I think it would be fair for everyone.
Err... isn't the Japanese version the global version of the franchise? And wouldn't the subtitle translation take care of availability to all, since it could be localized based on the original Japanese script?

And doesn't the English dub take far too many liberties (particularly in the Bardock special), utterly destroying the point in the process of stitching together a coherent story?

There's no way I'm syncing up multiple language tracks which have different in-and-out points, different dialogue, different music, extra narration, etc.

Got a few ideas on how to deal with aspect ratios. Won't be a huge issue.

Also, distribution on this would have to be... well, let's be honest: pretty limited. I'm not putting this out there as-is, since it's basically infringing on the Bardock special as a whole, along with distributing plenty of other footage as-is. Again, got some ideas floating around...

(At the very least, I'd make an .SRT available for localization)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 pm

I you really do this, I will give you the audio from the original broadcast. I have the BGM-less audio of DBZ movie 8, too.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:33 pm

kei17 wrote:I you really do this, I will give you the audio from the original broadcast.
For the purposes of keeping things frame-accurate during the editing stage, I'd rather just go with the Dragon Box video+audio. Later on after completion, if there's a desire to do additional sound editing and mixing, that's something I might be interested in.
kei17 wrote:I you really do this, I will give you the audio from the original broadcast. I have the BGM-less audio of DBZ movie 8, too.
That might be helpful! Not sure, since it's not like I've slapped any footage together, yet :). Might be useful in splicing unrelated things together, though.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:And doesn't the English dub take far too many liberties (particularly in the Bardock special), utterly destroying the point in the process of stitching together a coherent story?
Yes it does. The Bardock special's dub is an absolute mess. I'm convinced that for this they didn't even have the badly-scribbled translation they based the series' script on. I think they had to just flat-out guess what people were saying. It's that bad. If our forum had a about-to-puke smiley, I'd be using it.

So, uh... needless to say, it shouldn't be used for a project that centers around being informative.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!