Early Misconceptions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Early Misconceptions

Post by MajinMetroid » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:51 am

This is more of an amusing anecdote thread than discussion, but perhaps it will turn into something cool.

What were some of your early misconceptions about Dragonball/Z/GT? When it came out I was in high school and people don't always know what they are talking about in that place and many discussions were about what happens, and, at least in my experience, much of what we though we knew, we didn't.

For example, before Season 3 even started, it was common knowledge in my group of friends that GT was all about "Gohan's Training," and it takes place after the Freeza Saga because Goku dies and Gohan must be trained to be the hero of earth.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:25 am

In one of the later movies, Broli resurrects Nappa & Raditz with the DragonBalls to fight Goku.

:?

*runs*
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:30 am

I thought the ressurection of Buu happened at the martial arts tournament. -_-

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:55 am

For some reason I used to think Yamcha was a saiyan.. I think my cousin told me that or something. Man, that was years and years ago.
"Look at these guns baybah! Peow, peow!" -Broli

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:05 pm

I used to think Goku and Yamcha were brothers.

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:10 pm

I remember back in the day reading online about a character named Mr. Satan. There wasn't a picture to go along with it, so I was left to my imagination...and my copy of Legends for the Saturn. After playing through the game a few more times, I saw one character that would kinda fit the name. And that is how, for the longest time, I thought Dabura was Mr. Satan. :lol:

Also, I remember a friend from high school explaining to me the whole "after his training in the Buu saga, Gohan can't go Super Saiyan or he'll destroy the world" thing. I also believed this for a long time, as well...it made sense, because the only time he did turn Super Saiyan after that was in GT (and even back then, I knew GT liked to take liberties with the story).

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:14 pm

I think a big early misconception I had was thinking the Buu arc was GT, and thinking Goten was Goku transformed into a kid. Amazing how little minded I was.
14 years later

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:21 pm

Milton wrote:I remember back in the day reading online about a character named Mr. Satan. There wasn't a picture to go along with it, so I was left to my imagination...and my copy of Legends for the Saturn. After playing through the game a few more times, I saw one character that would kinda fit the name. And that is how, for the longest time, I thought Dabura was Mr. Satan. :lol:
Funny, I always thought Janemba was Mr. Satan.

I also thought Krillin was Goku's son. Note, I started watching late into the Namek arc, so I had no idea who Krillin was.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:03 pm

Oh boy. One thing I 'learned' around the late Freeza Saga (shortly after Goku went SSJ) was that Super Saiya-jin 3 was a man sized golden ape... ya. :lol:

And for the longest time I was thinking GT Kid Goku was Goten. I mean, I hadn't realized there was 15 years between the time Goten was a kid and GT and all I'd seen of GT Kid Goku was an image of him running and firing a Kamehameha and a picture of him in Super Saiya-jin....
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 pm

my first was thinking that the fight between Goku, Piccolo, and Raditz was on Namek because the landscape didnt look like typical Earth. Also, I got a fansub of original Dragonball where Goku searches for the divine water, I thought it was GT where Goku turned back into a kid and was looking to get older. Also, it was really easy to mistake Yamcha for a saiyan because he looked like Goku. I didn't know there was an Original Dragonball until I saw the 13 kidmark episodes...it's all clear now, I wish I could've started watching now and watched from DB-DBGT, its the way it was meant to be seen.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:14 pm

Since I started watching DBZ from the dub, I had no clue what was going on. For instance, I thought "Snake Way" meant a big hallway full of snakes. And I thought those golden haired characters were completely different characters. It took a while for me to catch on to what was happening.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:53 pm

When I first started watching DBZ, I was completely confused (since I had watched the original 1995 DB dub, then Funi skipped right to DBZ, causing many "The heck!?" momments). Anyways, I only ever saw as far as some of the Snake Way episodes. The next time I saw was the Cell Games, and for some reason I thought Vegeta was Goku's brother.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:14 pm

I thought 4th form Freeza was "Metal Freeza".

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:12 pm

When I first started researching the series, I only knew of the Saiyajin and Namek sagas, I remember looking at some of the playing cards. There were ones for the Buu saga and you know how some of them have English text written on them, but not really worded that well since they're from Japan? The picture was of Goku, adult Gohan, and Goten. Well it was just the way one of them was worded and the image together led me to think that adult Gohan was actually Goku's younger brother, his name was Goten, and I just assumed that he had turned up or something from space but was a good guy instead of like Raditz. I can't remember what I reasoned the real Goten to be......but ya, go ahead and laugh at me people! Laugh to your heart's content!>_>

And I also remember when first seeing images of GT, thinking that SSJ4 Goku was a completely new character. I thought Kid Goku was a second child of Videl and Gohan, and thinking it sucked that Goku was hardly in the series at all! XD
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:23 pm

When I first started watching DBZ I never got a chance to see them in order to understand how the story unfold's. So when I saw the episode of Metal Freeza Vs Trunks, I thought King Cold was Frieza, and Metal Frieza was Frieza's son. LOL I know it' really odd!
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:05 pm

When I first saw images of Metal Cooler, I thought it was Freeza, returned as a full robot, and he came back to teamup with his brother Cooler (in is regular form).
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:38 am

I thought Yamcha was Goku's father.
It didn't register to me that Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaoutzu were all dead while on Kaio-sama's planet.
And I thought due to the lipstick-like mouth and the voice that Freeza was some evil space-queen. :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:46 am

Chuquita wrote: And I thought due to the lipstick-like mouth and the voice that Freeza was some evil space-queen. :mrgreen:
... you mean Freeza isn't an evil space-queen? :shock:
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:49 am

When the dub (Which I used to watch at 5 in the morning on syndication, while waiting for Sailor Moon to come on.) went from original Dragon Ball episodes 1-13, then immediately jumped to DBZ, I had suspicions that Pilaf and Piccolo were one and the same :)

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:53 am

Hehe, oh man, fond memories.

I was originally led to believe (before I watched the show) that the Saiyans were actually gods of destruction, and not low-ranking alien warriors for Freeza.

I thought the pictures of Super Android 13 was really Broli as a Legendary Super Saiyan.

When I first saw the "History of Trunks" (without sound mind you) I thought Gohan was really Goku with a hair cut.