Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Some guy a little while ago said he had a tape of it. I asked him if he could upload it and he said yes, however he was busy. Today he messaged me saying it was up. Here's the video link, although I couldn't watch it because FUNimation blocked it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oB9TBcYeMY

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Sounds extremely sketchy.

But tell him if he really wants to upload it, he should mirror the footage first.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Cipher wrote:Sounds extremely sketchy.

But tell him if he really wants to upload it, he should mirror the footage first.
I don't know if he knows how to do that. Someone else can ask him if they want, his username is WillieD7.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah, if you embed the video anywhere else you can see the title is certainly "Dragon Ball Harmony Gold Lost Dub Part 1/3".

That's a shame. I can't believe it was removed so quickly. I've been wanting to see this dub since I first heard of it and heard clips some 6 or 7 years ago. I would recommend putting it on Megavideo or some other video hosting site.
Last edited by Levlik on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I too got all excited only for it to be blocked... :(

But hopefully he'll re-upload it without tags and with a non-Dragon Ball title like I suggested.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 pm

He can mirror the footage in literally any editing program, even Windows Movie Maker. Just put it in the studio, and there should be a mirroring effect. Youtube won't autoblock it that way.
I can't believe it was removed so quickly.
Youtube flags videos containing over six minutes of FUNimation footage automatically. This can be circumvented by, say ... mirroring the video.

Or maybe this wasn't even an automatic thing, considering it can from a video tape source. Maybe he just needs to be more coy about uploading it. I.e. not putting "Dragon Ball Part _/_" in the title.
Last edited by Cipher on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:10 pm

I kinda doubt their blocking system works that way, though... It makes no sense.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:11 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I kinda doubt their blocking system works that way, though... It makes no sense.
Try uploading over six minutes of FUNimation DVD footage right now. It won't let you. I know at least one prolific Dragon Ball-uploader on Youtube mirrored most of his episodes specifically to get around this. (I'm not condoning this, and only ever used his page when I was away from my DVD collection and needed a fix.)

I'm guessing this was a case of a too-obvious name though.
Last edited by Cipher on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:13 pm

He just uploaded part 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTXe8vkr2Co I'm seeing if this Zamzar website works. Regular programs like ATube Catcher won't work and add-ons for Firefox require you to be on the page.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Mirroring the footage will not help. Dragon Ball is not on YouTube's visual content ID scanner. The issue here are the "hot words". You have "Dragon Ball" and "Part 1" in your title. That an instant removal. The title is very indicative of what the video is. If you named the video something totally irrelevant than it would not be removed because FUNimation wouldn't be able to find it. That's sketchy, though. My suggestion is you rip audio samples. And include a bit about the "Fair Use Act" somewhere in your description. That's a little less sketchy.
Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Or he could just upload it to MegaUpload.
Last edited by Innagadadavida on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:50 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Mirroring the footage will not help. Dragon Ball is not on YouTube's visual content ID scanner. The issue here are the "hot words". You have "Dragon Ball" and "Part 1" in your title. That an instant removal. The title is very indicative of what the video is. If you named the video something totally irrelevant than it would not be removed because FUNimation wouldn't be able to find it. That's sketchy, though. My suggestion is you rip audio samples. And include a bit about the "Fair Use Act" somewhere in your description. That's a little less sketchy.
Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Or he could just upload it to MegaUpload.
Do you think it would be remove if it was something like "DragonBallHGLostDub"?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:52 pm

I suggest you have your friend post audio samples. Or post it on another website.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:29 pm

Or you could just have your friend use something other than YouTube. Like Dailymotion or whatnot.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:30 pm

It'd probably be rude for me to ask him.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:34 pm

"Your videos don't actually work anywhere, but I'm not gonna ask you to upload them somewhere where people could actually see them, see, that'd be rude"

Yeah, I totally see the logic there.

How exactly is it rude to go to the guy and say "hey, since apparently YouTube's blocking all of the videos you've been posting, any chance you could put them somewhere else like Dailymotion? Thanks."
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:51 pm

As you should probably guess from the difficulty involved in doing so, uploading TV episodes online is illegal. Audio clips for demonstrative purposes is one thing, but in no way is posting full episodes legal. If your conscience will let you do it I can't stop you, but discussions about how to work around copyright measures in order to illegally upload content don't belong on this forum.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Puto wrote:"Your videos don't actually work anywhere, but I'm not gonna ask you to upload them somewhere where people could actually see them, see, that'd be rude"

Yeah, I totally see the logic there.

How exactly is it rude to go to the guy and say "hey, since apparently YouTube's blocking all of the videos you've been posting, any chance you could put them somewhere else like Dailymotion? Thanks."
The man was busy, I didn't want to bother him. I did ask him though and he said he might try Russian YouTube. I told him that wouldn't work and sent him Dailymotion. He hasn't replied back yet.

As for the copyright thing, I can probably ask him to just upload a minute or two of it.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote: I did ask him though and he said he might try Russian YouTube.
Wow, any time you have to consider using a Russian website, you know what you're doing is sketch :lol:

Since the goal is to allow people to hear the dub, I would definitely suggest ripping audio clips.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:42 am

I second the audio clips option. Again, it's not hard. And Funimation doesn't own it.

And most fans have the corresponding footage if they want to sync it up on their own.
Innagadadavida wrote:Mirroring the footage will not help. Dragon Ball is not on YouTube's visual content ID scanner.
Huh. Fair enough. I know most of Dragon Ball Z is, so I thought it applied to all three series.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:54 am

No. Dragon Ball Z is not on there either. Neither is Kai or GT or any of the movies or specials.