Puar's accurate name translation "Pooal"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Re: Puar's accurate name translation "Pooal"?

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Nope, but that spelling does appear on Japanese merch.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:11 pm

All of this inconsistency goes to show how difficult it is to come up with an "official" romanization.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:27 am

For instance, the main character. Toriyama says it's Goku sometimes, other times it's Gokuh. But wait, all of the official merchandise calls him Go-kou! What do we do?! :D
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Adamant wrote:Pretty sure "Puar" isn't anything but some English translator asspull.
Wait, what? How is "Pu'ar" wrong?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Adamant wrote:Pretty sure "Puar" isn't anything but some English translator asspull.
I've never ever seen the tea referred to as such. Have you? If it's actually in use, it's certainly no common spelling.

(Google gives 25 hits when I search for "Pu'ar tea", none of which gives me the impression the writer actually knows the spelling (and a whole bunch of which are just the exact same text found via different urls). So yeah, I'd say its not an actual valid spelling)
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Adamant wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
I've never ever seen the tea referred to as such. Have you? If it's actually in use, it's certainly no common spelling.

(Google gives 25 hits when I search for "Pu'ar tea", none of which gives me the impression the writer actually knows the spelling (and a whole bunch of which are just the exact same text found via different urls). So yeah, I'd say its not an actual valid spelling)
Well, no. But isn't it a pun on "Pu-erh tea"? Kanzentai refers to the character as "Puar", and in Herms' Name Pun Round-up thread:
Herms wrote:Puar
Like Oolong, he’s named for a tea: Pu-erh tea.
Toriyama Explanation: “I thought of including Chinese tea, so for these two I used Oolong Tea and Pu-erh Tea.” [DBF]
Source Spelling:: プーアル茶 (普洱茶)/Puuaru-cha
Name Spelling: プーアル/Puuaru
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 pm

It's not a pun, it's simply the word. Writing it as "Puar" would be like writing Trunks' name as "Tranks".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Adamant wrote:It's not a pun, it's simply the word. Writing it as "Puar" would be like writing Trunks' name as "Tranks".
I don't understand what you're talking about. Are you saying the translation for the character's name as "Pu'ar" is incorrect and his name is just the tea? Because I'm confused right now. I've been thinking "Pu'ar" was an appropiate translation all along, and that's not because of the dub. Herms, can you shed some light on this?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: I don't understand what you're talking about. Are you saying the translation for the character's name as "Pu'ar" is incorrect and his name is just the tea?
Indeed. His name is プーアル, which is how you write Puer, the tea, in Japanese. It's the exact same situation as with トランクス, which is how you write "trunks", the piece of clothing. There's none of that "based off a word but spelled slightly differently" stuff you get in so many other names, a practice Toriyama didn't really start using until later.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Adamant wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: I don't understand what you're talking about. Are you saying the translation for the character's name as "Pu'ar" is incorrect and his name is just the tea?
Indeed. His name is プーアル, which is how you write Puer, the tea, in Japanese. It's the exact same situation as with トランクス, which is how you write "trunks", the piece of clothing. There's none of that "based off a word but spelled slightly differently" stuff you get in so many other names, a practice Toriyama didn't really start using until later.
OK, then. Wow. I never knew that. Then how the heck did we get "Pu'ar", then? It can't be just from the dub.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Maybe the scripts from Toei wrote it that way...?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:OK, then. Wow. I never knew that. Then how the heck did we get "Pu'ar", then? It can't be just from the dub.
Well, "Puar" is still a valid romanization of プーアル, just as "Tranks" is of トランクス. プーアル may be the same spelling as the tea, but in-universe it doesn't refer to the tea, it refers to the cat creature. So I don't think it's automatically true that romanizing it the same way as the tea is the only correct way (and it's not the approach the people behind "Pooal" took either).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Herms wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:OK, then. Wow. I never knew that. Then how the heck did we get "Pu'ar", then? It can't be just from the dub.
Well, "Puar" is still a valid romanization of プーアル, just as "Tranks" is of トランクス. プーアル may be the same spelling as the tea, but in-universe it doesn't refer to the tea, it refers to the cat creature. So I don't think it's automatically true that romanizing it the same way as the tea is the only correct way (and it's not the approach the people behind "Pooal" took either).
So "Puar"'s correct after all, then.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Herms wrote:
"Correct"... Well, as correct as "Tolankus" and "Pickoro". They're valid romanizations of what's written, but it's pretty obvious it's not exactly what they were going for.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Adamant wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Herms wrote:Well, "Puar" is still a valid romanization of プーアル, just as "Tranks" is of トランクス. プーアル may be the same spelling as the tea, but in-universe it doesn't refer to the tea, it refers to the cat creature. So I don't think it's automatically true that romanizing it the same way as the tea is the only correct way (and it's not the approach the people behind "Pooal" took either).
"Correct"... Well, as correct as "Tolankus" and "Pickoro". They're valid romanizations of what's written, but it's pretty obvious what they were going for.
Well, yeah. I'm probably going to start writing it "Pu'er" from now on.