Something thats been bothering me (japanese question)

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Something thats been bothering me (japanese question)

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:15 pm

Does dattebayo translate into anything? Viz translated it to "believe it" for the Naruto dub. I'm just curious as to how accurate this is.

Note: This isnt intended to be a Naruto discussion thread.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Something thats been bothering me (japanese question)

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:27 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Does dattebayo translate into anything? Viz translated it to "believe it" for the Naruto dub. I'm just curious as to how accurate this is.

Note: This isnt intended to be a Naruto discussion thread.
Hmm... I suppose the best way of explaining it is that it intensifies the emphasis placed on a phrase. For example, if the person you're talking to (or at) wasn't paying attention the first time, you might place that on the end in order to stress what you just said, without (necessarily) raising your voice. Naruto uses it all over the place 'cause he's an attention-starved orphan. And annoying.

I actually haven't heard it that often in anime outside of Naruto, but when it has shown up, it's usually come out of the mouths of little kids who are pestering people trying to ignore them.
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:19 am

So translating it to "Believe it" wouldnt make much sense?

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:20 am

I kind of consider it to be the same thing as when Foghorn Leghorn constantly uses "I say" in his speech (although he interrupts his own sentences to do it).

What's the big, I say, what's the big idea? Don't stand there gawkin' son, speak up.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:21 pm

Oh, the question I wanted to know so badly but was afraid to ask! Ha ha!

Now it all makes sense, and truely adds to Naruto's character. Funny... I heard a little Japanese boy nagging his mom on my plane ride to Hawaii and Dattebayos were thrown left and right! :lol:

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:37 am

I wondered that, as well. I too found it quite annoying.

The More You Know™
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:18 pm

Dattebayo repeated over and over is obvious, but not nearly as obvious, or annoying, as believe it.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:46 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Dattebayo repeated over and over is obvious, but not nearly as obvious, or annoying, as believe it.
Not as obvious to the English speaking group watching the original and if you're simply watching subs since none of the subbing groups ever seem to bring in the "dattebayo" into the subtitles.

I'm quite sure it's as obvious as hell to Japanese viewers. Though I don't see how repeating "Believe it" is any less obvious or annoying as "dattebayo." It's pretty much the same thing.

If anything, "dattebayo" is said similarly to how the ogres in Hell in DBZ end their sentences with "oni."