General Blue

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

General Blue

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Before anyone says it, no, this is not another thread about stereotypes in Dragon Ball, so there's no need to discuss about that.

What are your thoughts on General Blue? I actually liked him in the Red Ribbon Army arc. I think it became apparent that he wasn't just this throwaway lackey villain, but someone who transcended what his role was supposed to be. He actually played an important role in the RRA arc, was strong enough to defeat Kuririn, and was a persistent villain. I found the parts with him in entertaining (I've only read the RRA arc in manga form; I don't know how it is in the anime). But he was also somewhat cold and chilling in his own way. His psychic abilities that took effect when his opponent stared into his eyes made him probably the most difficult adversary to handle in the RRA arc, other than Tao Pai Pai. And I liked those two parts where Blue's underwater watching Kuririn and Bulma before revealing himself, and then, after the cave collapses, only for Blue to flush his head out of the water with an evil smirk on his face. He was enough of a formidable opponent for even Kame-sennin to admit that he was a tough one, since he couldn't even sense his presence and he tied them up in a way that the rope actually tightens when they try to free themselves.

Overall, I think he was a good villain, even if he didn't have much in the way of a character.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Re: General Blue

Post by CatouttaHell » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:23 pm

I enjoyed General Blue and the entire RRA Arc, both in the Anime and Manga. Kind of unfortunate that he had such a huge streak of being seemingly indestructible, only to go out being killed by Tao Pai Pai's tongue. I love how he kept coming back over and over, his interactions with the residents of Penguin Village, and how over-the-top evil he was.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:30 pm

I think he's a pretty interesting character. Other than the obvious stereotype, he was pretty cool in that he was in many ways more ruthless than any of the other Red Ribbon leaders. He never gives up until literally the day he dies.

Toriyama-sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toriyama-sama » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:46 pm

I just can't resist posting this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8yd3bNibs

:lol:

Now you tell me, how are the Portuguese able to grab such an exaggerated stereotype and take it to a whole other level?

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:48 pm

He's one of my favorite villains in dragonball! He's about the only thing I like in the Red Ribbon Arc. I would have liked to see him in Z, you know maybe an android. Stupid Tao Pai Pai.. lol.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm

I just can't resist posting this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8yd3bNibs

:lol:

Now you tell me, how are the Portuguese able to grab such an exaggerated stereotype and take it to a whole other level?
General Blue literally sound like an old woman in that dub. I also really hate Goku's voice.

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 pm

I must be psychic, because while I was at work today my thoughts randomly focused on general blue for a minute. Like out of nowhere I was like. Hmm, General Blue...and then you posted this! Lol, he's a funny guy what can you say against him? He's HI-larious!
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:03 pm

It's also a funny coincidence because I'm doing a readthrough of the manga right now, and I just finished the Red Ribbon Arc. And, yeah, I'm a big fan of General Blue.

Tiny bit of funny trivia that I just noticed. But it's funny that Blue and Piccolo are both played by Furukawa Toshio in the anime, and both Blue and Piccolo have scenes in the manga where they're hiding behind the same wall of the Kame House eavesdropping on a conversation involving Goku, Bulma, Kuririn, Kame-sennin, and Umigame. I don't know. It just gave me a chuckle when I realized that.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Blue is my favorite member of the RRA. I also think Sonny Straight was great as General Blue.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Tiny bit of funny trivia that I just noticed. But it's funny that Blue and Piccolo are both played by Furukawa Toshio in the anime, and both Blue and Piccolo have scenes in the manga where they're hiding behind the same wall of the Kame House eavesdropping on a conversation involving Goku, Bulma, Kuririn, Kame-sennin, and Umigame. I don't know. It just gave me a chuckle when I realized that.

That's actually kind of cool, I didn't think about that. I think Blue was a pretty good villain though. He was really the first one who was an actual threat to the good guys. Goku pretty much plowed through everyone else up until that point.
Trans rights, now!

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:29 am

He was a great villian. His scenes when him and goku are in penguin village are hilarious. I especially love when he steals the car from Supa man. Also when Arale runs into him in the police car he steals and knocks him flying for miles, then he's like WTF was that lmao
Super Vegito wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yeah, I am 21 and stay at my parents house playing videogame and arguing on the internet
I hope that's sarcasm.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 am

Great villain and cool powers. I liked it most when he strangles an eel with his bare hands.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I like him :D He is funny and has an awesome laugh,Also he has psychic powers wich make shimn one of the few "puny earthlings" we meet that has a really cool unusual abillity.
-凯

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:49 pm

I also love him punching Yamucha in the 10th Anniversary Movie. :lol:
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 pm

I think was a great character, I wish Toriyama didn't just throw him out and never see or mention him again.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:57 am

metamoss wrote:I think was a great character, I wish Toriyama didn't just throw him out and never see or mention him again.

Well, to be fair he did die. :P
Trans rights, now!

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:57 am

SonEric84 wrote:
metamoss wrote:I think was a great character, I wish Toriyama didn't just throw him out and never see or mention him again.

I know that. But supposedly so did Tao Pai Pai until the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. Toriyama could have resused him in some way... I just wish that after all he did he gets thrown out of the story so quickly.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm

metamoss wrote:
SonEric84 wrote:

I know that. But supposedly so did Tao Pai Pai until the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. Toriyama could have resused him in some way... I just wish that after all he did he gets thrown out of the story so quickly.
Well, I never thought that Blue was supposed to be a character that would last very long anyway. After all, he was still only a henchman whose aim was to gather the Dragon Balls and kill the brat that was getting in the way of his mission. He was meant to be executed for his failures anyway, and besides, his death was a nice set-up for Tao Pai Pai.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:02 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Well, I never thought that Blue was supposed to be a character that would last very long anyway. After all, he was still only a henchman whose aim was to gather the Dragon Balls and kill the brat that was getting in the way of his mission. He was meant to be executed for his failures anyway, and besides, his death was a nice set-up for Tao Pai Pai.
At least he got a cameo in GT....

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Personally, he was one of my favorite villains. Really, I think it was a shame that he didn't get turned good like Tenshinhan and Piccolo did. Dragon Ball has a severe lack of debonair characters, and Blue would've filled that gap nicely. Plus, he would've provided an interesting link to Red Ribbon when Gero showed up.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog