General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzforeverUK

Re: General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Post by dbzforeverUK » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm

majinboogc wrote:I was just wondering, is it just me or do these two sound similar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBj3GOmcz4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCOIL-aI9Pk
Yes, I know what you're getting at, but I think you should have used the main screen BGM instead.

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:51 pm

dbzforeverUK wrote: Yes, I know what you're getting at, but I think you should have used the main screen BGM instead.
Thanks! That is exactly what I was going for but I can't find a link for it.
Also, I do believe that he had something to do with the music for the song.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way. - Morpheus (The Matrix Reloaded)

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:28 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned that theme from Budokai 1 that sounds exactly like the Iron Man theme. I don't know the name of it, but you guys should probably know what I'm talking about.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:33 pm

MetalMadness wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned that theme from Budokai 1 that sounds exactly like the Iron Man theme. I don't know the name of it, but you guys should probably know what I'm talking about.
I've mentioned it multiple times on the podcast, actually :). I classified that one more as "homage" than "direct plagiarism" 'cuz he changes a few notes around and it goes off in its own direction, so it's clearly more of oh, "Hey, isn't this clever and fun?!" more than "I'm just gonna take this song as-is."

(And it's... uhh... "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath :P)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:34 pm

MetalMadness wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned that theme from Budokai 1 that sounds exactly like the Iron Man theme. I don't know the name of it, but you guys should probably know what I'm talking about.
Somebody didn't look hard enough:
Shiyonasan wrote: I've also heard people compare Thrilling Time to Black Sabbath's Iron Man and Believe in the Supreme Power to Black Sabbath's Zero the Hero. The last one is somewhat questionable, but I guess Kenji Yamamoto just loves Stratovarius and Black Sabbath. You be the judge on that claim.

Also, "Iron Man theme"???

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:53 pm

MalikArcanum wrote:Also, "Iron Man theme"???
He's probably thinking that "Iron Man" was made for the film "Iron Man." Since the song is also featured in that film(and used in a trailer) he probably thought it was the official theme. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_(soundtrack)

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
MalikArcanum wrote:Also, "Iron Man theme"???
He's probably thinking that "Iron Man" was made for the film "Iron Man." Since the song is also featured in that film(and used in a trailer) he probably thought it was the official theme. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_(soundtrack)

I know what he thought, it's still slightly amusing, though.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23MmnLu2aLs

Not sure if Yamamoto did the music to DBZ 2 on the Famicom, and I can't find credits for it anywhere, but I'm going to assume that he did. Listen closely to the beginning and end of the commercial. Something sound familiar? It's the intro to Pink Floyd's "Time"! How and why is that even there?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 am

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:20 pm

I've finally found out this one.

Kai OST III - A Grim Fate
Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Storm

This also slightly sounds like other parts. It's not a direct rip-off though.

dylanmorgan17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dylanmorgan17 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:22 am

Hearing 'A Grim Fate' just makes me all the more upset that Yamamoto has been fired with his Kai score being replaced by the Kikuchi score. I'm guessing by the link to the video provided by Kei17 that was used somewhere around Goku's transformation to Super Saiyan form? Now that would have been epic mate. As we say in 'Space Aus', "not happy Jan (Toei)!"
The Dante diet: Beer, Pizza and a strawberry Sunday.

dbzforeverUK

Post by dbzforeverUK » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:40 pm

It would'nt suprise me at all if 90% of the stuff Yamamoto has "Composed" Is even his own work.I'm just waiting to see if anyone can find the origins of Solid State Scouter and Spirit vs Spirit.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:48 pm

dbzforeverUK wrote:It wouldn't surprise me at all if 90% of the stuff Yamamoto has "composed" is even his own work. I'm just waiting to see if anyone can find the origins of Solid State Scouter and Spirit vs Spirit.
Well, he had nothing to do with the former, and only handled the arrangement of the latter, so it's not TOO likely.

(That being said, Yamamoto did the arrangement for "GIRI GIRI" which has clear allusions to Led Zeppelin, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:15 pm

There's a song on the Budokai soundtrack that sounds just like Stairway To Heaven. Can't think of the name though.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:35 am

After reading the main page article on Yamamoto, I noticed his work in the Metroid series had been mentioned. This reminded me of something--a couple of years ago, I began listening to a Japanese synthpop group called "Yellow Magic Orchestra" (YMO for short), and their track "Behind the Mask" struck me as very similar to the Metroid Prime menu theme. Obviously, the song was released in 1979, so it was ahead many years.

Naturally, the similarity had been rekindled in my mind upon listening to the recent posthumous Michael Jackson release, which contains a covered version of YMO's song "Behind the Mask".

The fact that his copying of tracks from other sources is very interesting, considering my having noticed the similarity between the two tracks.

Listen for yourself.

Metroid Prime Menu Theme

YMO - Behind the Mask (Bear with me on this one, the similarity doesn't begin until roughly 30 seconds in...)

Is this a stretch or do you all think this is a legitimate point-of-interest?
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:39 am

Thanos wrote:After reading the main page article on Yamamoto, I noticed his work in the Metroid series had been mentioned.
There are Two Kenji Yamamotos, but with different Kanji.
Last edited by SolarBlade52 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:41 am

SolarBlade52 wrote:
Thanos wrote:After reading the main page article on Yamamoto, I noticed his work in the Metroid series had been mentioned.
I think you are confusing with another Kenji Yamamoto. There are two Kenji Yamamotos, but there names are written differently.

Damn, you're right. I misread the article.

All Kenji Yamamotos are thieves! </failedattemptedselfsave>
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 am

Hey, don't worry, you definitely aren't the first person to make that mistake. :D
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:44 am

That man likes Total Recall. There's a track on Digital Dragon Ball: The World which copies that theme too.

dbzforeverUK

Post by dbzforeverUK » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:50 am

Is it me or do bits of these sound like BGM from the seires and games we've all heard?

YMO-Technopolis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbtEjhCOFPs

YMO-U.T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs1t5ZERhBQ

Plus id very much like to hear the Led Zeppelin one.