The point of 100 times gravity?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

The point of 100 times gravity?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:40 pm

I was wondering this while watching the re-dub, if Goku needed to train in 100 times gravity, why didnt Gohan and Krillin? And if it mattered so much, how was Bulma able to walk on Namek?

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:49 pm

Well, it's not that Namek itself had a gravity 100 times stronger than earth's. It's just that Son Goku wanted to be as strong as possible when he arrived there since he was sure that they'd need his help, and 'lo, they conveniently did.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:38 pm

I don't remember if King Kai said anything about how Namek's gravity was, but it seemed about the same as Earth's. And since they had no idea there would be bad guys on Namek, that's why they didn't think to ask Doc Briefs about installing any training machines.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The point of 100 times gravity?

Post by Dayspring » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:45 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:I was wondering this while watching the re-dub, if Goku needed to train in 100 times gravity, why didnt Gohan and Krillin? And if it mattered so much, how was Bulma able to walk on Namek?
To become stronger. Namek had only 1g, which is why Bulma, Krillin and Gohan didn't need to. It's like asking why Vegeta trained in 300g when the androids were going to fight on Earth.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:23 pm

Also remember that Goku didn't originally intend to go all the way to 100x. I think he was only at 50x when his ship went through that magnetic storm and screwed up the gravity machine. Once he had felt 100x he decided that he had to train it.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:12 am

Ah my bad, I thought Namek was 100x of what Earth was.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:23 pm

Slickmasterfunk wrote:Also remember that Goku didn't originally intend to go all the way to 100x. I think he was only at 50x when his ship went through that magnetic storm and screwed up the gravity machine. Once he had felt 100x he decided that he had to train it.
Filler. 100x was planned from the start. Otherwise why have the machine go that high?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:36 pm

Filler. 100x was planned from the start. Otherwise why have the machine go that high?
True, the manga stated this, by Dr.Briefs I believe.

To obviously become stronger. I suppose when you get so used to training at that gravity, your speed and agility increases once you get out of there (after you've trained well of course). I don't really know how it can increase your strength, but that's my theory..

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Eclipse wrote: I don't really know how it can increase your strength, but that's my theory..
It's similar to how weighted clothing makes you stronger, except all over your body. To be honest, I was surprised Goku abandoned that form of training to return to a simple 100kg of clothing.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:04 am

It's most likely due to the fact that he'd become so strong that weighted clothing just didn't cut it for him anymore. Plus from the looks of the switch in outfits after Buu was killed by Goku's Super Genki Dama, seemed like Goku didn't have much need for extensive training and took a sort of break until the next Tenka'ichi Budokai.

Plus, I'm pretty sure it's easier on whoever makes his clothes considering he's not like Piccolo, who could just zap his own turban and cape on even if they were destroyed before. :P Cause we all know how easily Goku tends to end up busting up his clothing, especially his shirts.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:21 pm

It's like constantly lifting weights. Everything, from your clothes to your very body, is 100x heavier. Son Gohan and Kuririn weren't expecting to fight enemies (at least, not very powerful ones) on Namek, but Goku had come knowing he would face powerful foes.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:55 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if you could train like that in real life?

Get one of those giant centrifuges from a fair and get it spinning so you're held to the wall at, oh, 2x Earth gravity.

Then just build up your body until you can move freely in 2x, shut 'er down and step out into the normal world.

It'd be interesting to see if that would be a useful form of real-world training.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:00 am

Just a couple tidbits...

1) Goku used gigantic training weights in the afterlife in prepartion for the 25 Tenka'ichi Budokai. He had 2000kg on each arm and leg, which was then up'd to 10,000kg each, which he went Super Saiyan for and said they were like nothing.

2) Son Goku was stated to train almost constantly in the 10 years after Boo.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:04 pm

Duo wrote:Just a couple tidbits...

1) Goku used gigantic training weights in the afterlife in prepartion for the 25 Tenka'ichi Budokai. He had 2000kg on each arm and leg, which was then up'd to 10,000kg each, which he went Super Saiyan for and said they were like nothing.

2) Son Goku was stated to train almost constantly in the 10 years after Boo.
But again: those 10 years he didn't need to, whereas during the 3 years before the Androids came he used 100kg total vs the 8ton total after he died. Why use such a weak training method? How strong did he think he was in SSJ?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:02 am

Goku's Three Year training course for the Androids is Filler, and thus void.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:41 am

Uh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they train for the jinzouningen in the manga too..?

And I'm eeeeeeeeeeeever so slightly annoyed at the attitude that "Filler = Doesn't count"

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:45 am

Duo wrote:Goku's Three Year training course for the Androids is Filler, and thus void.
You must have a bad memory, because it's clearly stated in the manga that they took three years as well.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:23 am

Duo wrote:Goku's Three Year training course for the Androids is Filler, and thus void.
It was referred to in the manga, and shown twice.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:19 pm

I *think* he means that what Goku did as training in the anime is filler since it wasn't shown in the manga. Not that it adds any weight to his argument.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:26 pm

I think he means we don't know the specifics of Goku's training. He could've taken Piccolo and Gohan to Dr. Briefs and had them get used to 100x gravity, they could've all worn weighted clothes, hell, he could've just beat on Gohan for a while, healed him, and had Piccolo and Gohan fight until they could stand up to his SSJ form.

EDIT: Dang, beaten.