Cut from Sparking!

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Cut from Sparking!

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:37 pm

Yesterday, I found the Prima Game Guide for Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi. I found it interesting that a few of the last Budokai's characters had been left out. I looked through the profiles of each character only to find that Uub and Li Shenlong were missing! I thought the loss of Li Shenlong was complete crap, seeing how as Bebi Vegeta and Super 17 were included. I can't understand why Uub was left out at all, I guess they figured bringing in Chaozu to replace him would make up for him not being in any budokai game.

Another thing I don't understand is why a shitty character like chaozu can go and replace two of the coolest characters in DB.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:40 pm

Well, Chiaotzu certainly has more techniques than Uub, and I'm sure a much larger Japanese fanbase. Seems like a more logical choice for a character.

I don't understand why they'd remove characters like that, either, but since this isn't technically Budokai 4, they should feel no obligation to carry over every single option and character from the last games released.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:03 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:Li Shenlong
Ii Shinlong (or, perhaps, Yi Xinglong), not Li Shenlong. I still don't understand how someone can mistake a capital "I" for a lowercase "L".

I thought they could at least included Ii Shinron, to complete the GT villain list.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:33 am

I think the reason why some of the characters weren't included in the game, was so that we would have something to look forward to in the future. This means sales for the next game would be guaranteed, which puts more money into the pockets of Atari/Dimps/Spike.

If I'm right, then I'm looking forward to a game that includes Piccolo Daimao, Kami, and Golden Oozaru(along with a bunch of others that I can't think of at the moment).

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:15 am

I don't know about Omega Shenron, but I do know why Uub isn't in the game. Same reason Pan's not. They changed the GT portion of the game, it does not follow the series. i.e. It's not 15 years after Buu. Probably only a few months. Which would mean that Pan's not even born and Uub's still a baby.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:39 am

Omega Shenron
Uub
Supreme Kai

ALL Gone

We just have to accept that, I would have definitly prefered having severed arm Mirai Gohan in Tenkaichi than Great Saiyaman, but we can't get everything we want. And it isn't just those 3 characters that are cut, we also lose the base forms for Cooler and Broly, which just goes to show what happens when you develop a game like Tenkaichi in only less than a year. When you're building an all new fighting game engine from the ground up, while also designing the characters, moves, and cut scenes, then the rush is gonna make you forget awesome characters, forms, fusions, and other cool elements from the previous PS2 games. Quite frankly, I hope Budokai Tenkaichi is the last DBZ PS2 games, I already have 4 other PS2 DBZ games and Budokai Tenkaichi shall be the fifth. I hope to God it's the final, enough is enough when you're using the same story over and over, no disrespect to the Dragonball trilogy intended.
14 years later

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:03 am

We just have to accept that, I would have definitly prefered having severed arm Mirai Gohan in Tenkaichi than Great Saiyaman, but we can't get everything we want.
I completely forgot about Mirai Gohan. Yeah, he would DEFINITELY be a cooler character than Great Saiyaman. I wonder what his combos would look like, though. Not to mention his Kamehameha or Masenko. Well, LoL, if Gohan can kill Cell with one arm, why shouldn't Mirai Gohan be able to. Sorry if I'm getting too off-topic. I just liked the idea.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:02 am

I agree about the Mirai Gohan thing, that would kick ass! I still don't understand why characters from Dragonball and GT always get cut out of the games. I mean, DB started it all and GT ended it all. At least we've got Bebi Vegeta. I think that Atari/Spike/Dimps should create seperate games for them, like a Dragonball Budokai or a Dragonball GT Budokai...

What do you think?

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:15 am

Not to be rude, but I think that would suck. That would just make us miss the characters from DBZ and give all of us another thing to complain about. The mixture of DB, DBZ, and DBGT works best, imo; they just need to choose what characters to cut, add, and keep a bit more carefully.

Although the characters from DB would be pretty interesting to play with. I'm thinking of young Kuririn, a young Chi-Chi, Lunch(the machine gun thing would be pretty funny), Ox King, Jackie Chun, Pilaf(lol that would be hilarious), and a couple of others that I can't remember.

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:07 pm

While I'm perfectly happy with DBZ games excluding GT content I do miss my Kaioshin.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:37 am

I wouldn't mind a Mirai Gohan, but not to replace Saiyaman. I'm not a particular fan of either, it's just that to me, Mirai Gohan is another dude in an orange gi. If I had to choose, I'd prefer Saiyaman, cause his clothes are a lot different. I have enough orange gi people, thank you. :roll:

And if you REALLY wanna dig up more DragonBall characters, you could always consider characters that competed in Tenkaichi Budokais, or Red Ribbon generals. :P
I've mentioned numerous times that I think a desert bandit Yamcha that uses a sword and Puar for attacks would be cool. I'm not a fan of him either, but there's a lot of creative things you could make for Puar attacks.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:11 am

I still say a DB Budokai like game would kick ass. It'd be cool for on the PS3 but even a GBA title would be fun. Something with a tweaked and enhanched version of Advance Adventure's one-on-one combat engine.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:38 am

I think the next generation of consoles will offer Dragon Ball (including Z and GT) games with a lot more characters. Just imagine being able to play with your friends as the Z Senshi against Cell and his children.

Even though I don't like Kaioshin, I don't think they needed to take out some characters. I'd love it if they put Mirai Gohan in the next game (I thought that it was cool to have him in Sagas).
The résistance dies but never gives up.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:03 am

LaRésistance wrote:(I thought that it was cool to have him in Sagas).
The sole reason I got Sagas (along with the fact it's a DBZ game). Seriously, if they can use Bardock, who was only in a one shot TV special with some series flashbacks, then why not use Mirai Gohan; who gets the same treatment in the series? My guess, it's because of popularity issues between the characters. Oh well... :cry:
14 years later

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:04 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
The sole reason I got Sagas (along with the fact it's a DBZ game). Seriously, if they can use Bardock, who was only in a one shot TV special with some series flashbacks, then why not use Mirai Gohan; who gets the same treatment in the series? My guess, it's because of popularity issues between the characters. Oh well... :cry:
Probably fighting style too. Having to code in a one-armed fighting style when only one not-very-popular character would use it probably didn't seems worth it.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:12 pm

Still, I think playing with a one-armed character would bring a unique feel to the game; somewhat resolving the 'most of the combos/attacks are the same' issue found in most Budokai games.

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:17 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Conan the SSJ wrote:
Probably fighting style too. Having to code in a one-armed fighting style when only one not-very-popular character would use it probably didn't seems worth it.
If that's too difficult, they can leave both his arms, we see him fighting with both arms after all.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:35 pm

Am I the only one that would like to see Tambourine, Cymbal, Drum and even Piano in a game?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:43 pm

Drum & Tambourine are in Dragon Ball Advance Adventure and even playable =)
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:48 pm

Orochi_Rockman wrote:Am I the only one that would like to see Tambourine, Cymbal, Drum and even Piano in a game?
I speak for myself when I say; Yeah, you are.