Kai Episode 92 (06 February 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 92 (6th February 2011)

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Son Geeko wrote:"Spirit vs Spirit" just sounds too 80s for my taste.
Are you talking about "Spirit vs. Spirit"?

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT "SPIRIT VS. SPIRIT"?!!!!!!!!!!!!
あの超サイヤ人2孫悟飯の超スーパーサック変身....
ドラゴンボール改のことか?

ドラゴンボール改のことか!!!!!!?????????

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

KKZ wrote:No you aren't, I thought it was abominable. They weren't even trying, the beginning of the new song they composed sounded like shit you would hear playing while a woman gave birth. They should have used the best track in Kai and my personal favorite Dragon Ball track ever, Heroic Faceoff. Super Dragon Soul would have been fine too even though I'm not a fan of the vocals. They didn't even need to compose a new track...

Congratulations Toei! It's really, really hard to ruin a scene as great as Gohan's first SSJ2 transformation, but you've managed to overcome all odds and do the impossible. Even Gohan Angers from the Faulconer dub was leagues more appropriate. I really hope Colleen Clinkenbeard saves this scene with an amazing, jaw dropping scream. I seriously have my doubts though...

I was praying for Toei to produce the Buu portion of the series, but now that they no longer have the opportunity to ruin even more scenes like Vegeta being possessed by Babidi or Goku going SSJ3 with god awful music like this, I'm so happy they aren't.
Geez, calm down. The song isn't that bad. Don't know what's with all the pointless commotion about it. :|

By the way, Kai isn't ending at the Cell arc, enough with the bullshit guys, this is just like the whole stupid speculation about it ending at the Freeza arc a while ago.

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Son Geeko wrote: By the way, Kai isn't ending at the Cell arc, enough with the bullshit guys, this is just like the whole stupid speculation about it ending at the Freeza arc a while ago.
Prove it :lol:
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Zionist wrote:
Son Geeko wrote: By the way, Kai isn't ending at the Cell arc, enough with the bullshit guys, this is just like the whole stupid speculation about it ending at the Freeza arc a while ago.
The burden would be on you to prove that's it ending, not on him to prove it will continue. That's like telling someone to prove Gravity will continue to function. That's not someone's job, it would be the person's job to prove that Gravity suddenly would stop. And yes, I just compared Dragon Ball to Gravity. After all, the show's got a lot of weight to me. *rimshot*
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:20 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Zionist wrote:
The burden would be on you to prove that's it ending, not on him to prove it will continue. That's like telling someone to prove Gravity will continue to function. That's not someone's job, it would be the person's job to prove that Gravity suddenly would stop. And yes, I just compared Dragon Ball to Gravity. After all, the show's got a lot of weight to me. *rimshot*
No burden, I'd be just fine with it ending after Cell. Not that I have the actual proof to show it's going to end after Cell, but there in lies his problem as well. There's nothing to go off to say DBZ Kai is going into the Buu Arc. Yet
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Zionist wrote:Prove it :lol:
Did I say it was a fact? I'm just saying that I strongly believe it will not end at the Cell arc.

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Son Geeko wrote:
KKZ wrote:No you aren't, I thought it was abominable. They weren't even trying, the beginning of the new song they composed sounded like shit you would hear playing while a woman gave birth. They should have used the best track in Kai and my personal favorite Dragon Ball track ever, Heroic Faceoff. Super Dragon Soul would have been fine too even though I'm not a fan of the vocals. They didn't even need to compose a new track...

Congratulations Toei! It's really, really hard to ruin a scene as great as Gohan's first SSJ2 transformation, but you've managed to overcome all odds and do the impossible. Even Gohan Angers from the Faulconer dub was leagues more appropriate. I really hope Colleen Clinkenbeard saves this scene with an amazing, jaw dropping scream. I seriously have my doubts though...

I was praying for Toei to produce the Buu portion of the series, but now that they no longer have the opportunity to ruin even more scenes like Vegeta being possessed by Babidi or Goku going SSJ3 with god awful music like this, I'm so happy they aren't.
Geez, calm down. The song isn't that bad. Don't know what's with all the pointless commotion about it. :|
I was obviously exaggerating a lot (I had a lot of fun writing that post), but I definitely think it's the worst treated part of Kai yet. The song felt phoned in beyond belief.

Unmei no Hei (Instrumental) > Unmei no Hei > Gohan Angers > Remastered > Kai
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Ok, so I just watched the clip from where Gohan goes SSJ2. Nozawa screams like always, and the music works, but man is it a lot better in DBZ.

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 pm

KKZ wrote:I was obviously exaggerating a lot (I had a lot of fun writing that post), but I definitely think it's the worst treated part of Kai yet. The song felt phoned in beyond belief.

Unmei no Hei (Instrumental) > Unmei no Hei > Gohan Angers > Remastered > Kai
Eh, I actually like the new song, and if you read one of my earlier posts (if not, get ready for this...), I like it better then original DBZ song. "Spirit vs. Spirit" just sounds... eh... dated as how I would say.

(Oh god, I think I did it again...)

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Spirit VS Spirit blew this out of the water. I'm not even gonna sugar coat it, the music was nice, but it was nothing compared to the original scene's atmosphere.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 92 (06 February 2011)

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Man, what's up with all the nitpicking about the SSJ2 Gohan in this thread? I've seen AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, and SpoonyOne reviews that were less nitpicky than what I'm reading in this thread.

I agree that the music sounded a little weird. But I thought it was a nice mix of both themes of Gohan's transformation, with the choir effects representating the triumph and gloriousness, and the odd, heavy waving sounds representing Gohan's later callousness. On par with Team Faulconer's music choice, better than Spirit vs. Spirit, and leagues above how Goku's SSJ transformation was treated...

Honestly, I never got why people loved "Spirit vs. Spirit"...it doesn't sound bad by itself, but it always sounded way too lighthearted and cheesy to me considering the subject matter at hand. Say what you want about Team Faulconer's choice of using Hyperbolic Time Chamber, at least with that one, you could make an argument that it did a good job of highlighting Gohan's future ruthlesness.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Man, what's up with all the nitpicking about the SSJ2 Gohan in this thread? I've seen AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, and SpoonyOne reviews that were less nitpicky than what I'm reading in this thread.
Have you... read... anything?... on this website and community? This is the most verbose and passionate English-speaking community that exists for this franchise. Expecting anything less would be pretty naive. What do you want to read? "Cool scene, bro!" That... doesn't make for much in the way of conversation, does it?
Fionordequester wrote:Say what you want about Team Faulconer's choice of using Hyperbolic Time Chamber, at least with that one, you could make an argument that it did a good job of highlighting Gohan's future ruthlesness.
The scene has absolutely nothing to do what-so-ever with what Gohan's going to do, but about what he's going through.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Have you... read... anything?... on this website and community? This is the most verbose and passionate English-speaking community that exists for this franchise. Expecting anything less would be pretty naive. What do you want to read? "Cool scene, bro!" That... doesn't make for much in the way of conversation, does it?
Well, when you put it that way, I suppose what you say makes sense, but still.

Honestly, I was a little hasty when I said this, as there were some legitimate, reasonable complaints that I totally disregarded, which I'm sorry for. That was incorrect. What I'm more speaking of is statements like this...

No you aren't, I thought it was abominable. They weren't even trying, the beginning of the new song they composed sounded like shit you would hear playing while a woman gave birth. They should have used the best track in Kai and my personal favorite Dragon Ball track ever, Heroic Faceoff. Super Dragon Soul would have been fine too even though I'm not a fan of the vocals. They didn't even need to compose a new track...

That and some of the complaining about how bad the eye-catches were. As well as how Gohan's SSJ2 song wasn't the correct "style" for Dragon Ball (my theory on music has pretty much always been that I could care less about the exact style a scene is composed in. As long as it contains all the appropriate emotions, and is composed well, and fits the scene in question, it's good music, whether it's techno, orchestrated, or classical, whatever).

However, as I said, I've overlooked all of the more reasonable complaints, which again, is wrong of me. Those are complaints I like debating.
The scene has absolutely nothing to do what-so-ever with what Gohan's going to do, but about what he's going through.
Yeah...and he's going through extreme rage after his mind just snapped, right? Like all of the anger he's been trying to hold back is now suddenly overflowing, and driving him into a murderous rampage that causes him to kill all the Cell Jr.'s in extremely violent ways. I mean, that's what happens almost immediately after he transforms...

I mean, I know he's hurting emotionally to, but again, I don't know how Spirit vs. Spirit emphasizes that. But, I suppose I'd have to tell you the lens that I look at this scene through...

Ok, so Gohan has spent the entire tournament trying to be pure and noble, or at least trying extremely hard not to hurt people. However, he knows that when he gets really mad, he loses all control of himself, and he's frightened of that, because he knows he's can be capable of extremely horrible things when he's that angry, as a lot of men are, especially emotionally immature teenagers (I mean, he is a teenager, right? Or was that a dub mistake?). That's why he pleads Cell not to make him mad, not because he actually cares about Cell (for he acknowledges that Cell is a horrible person, unless that was also a dub thing), but because he's scared of what he'll do once he's mad.

As he's transforming, he's filled with sadness, because circumstances beyond his control have made it so that he can't keep his gentleness, guilt, because that same gentleness has caused the death of 16#, a bit of confusion, because everyone like Goku and 16# are telling him to do things that go against the ideals he's built up, and sheer unspeakable rage at both his situation and Cell, that he doesn't know how to express in any other way other than killing the Cell Jr.'s in the most violent manner possible, and torturing Cell to death, even if that means disobeying his own father.

That's what I get out of the whole situation anyways. So my question is, how on Earth is all of that emphasized by a triumphant sounding J-Pop song? Every time I listen to it, I think of songs like the ones composed by abolitionists in their efforts to help slaves escape from their masters in America, like "Wade in the Water".
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".