Movie Box Details up at Jumpland

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Movie Box Details up at Jumpland

Post by Mr. Robot » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:35 pm

[translated link removed by administrator; it was stretching the page]
http://www.jumpland.com/dvd/movie/

Yeah, it's long, but that's the link to the Google Translation. You can find a link to the regular webpage from there (top frame.)

Some specs:

50,000 yen (52,000 yen w/tax)
Comes with a free SCOUTER (I think that's what it's called--the power indicator thing that Saiyans use) that actually works as a walkie talkie of sorts if you can find someone with one also.
LETTERBOX! What the hell! They were originally full screen--I don't get this.
8 discs.

It comes out late March '06.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:26 pm

Only the FUNimation dubbed movies are full screen.

But all the Dragon Ball and DBZ Movies are in this box, and in great quality from the screenies. I can't wait ^_^

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:35 pm

The movies were originally full screen, so if you see them in letterbox format, you're probably missing the top and bottom of the picture..look at this link.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:40 pm

Eclipse wrote:Only the FUNimation dubbed movies are full screen.

But all the Dragon Ball and DBZ Movies are in this box, and in great quality from the screenies. I can't wait ^_^
Nope. The movies were all made in full screen. They were cut (tops and bottoms trimmed off) before being shown. Hence why it's odd that the Dragonbox is using the widescreen versions.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:19 pm

Oh. My bad ^_^

At least quality's good.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:02 pm

Xyex wrote:Hence why it's odd that the Dragonbox is using the widescreen versions.
Not really, as the widescreen print is the one people would generally want, since it's the version shown in theatres and on video and crap, it's the one Japanese audiences were basically always meant to see. Toei do this all the time for their movies, most noteably Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star, and One Piece. It's a cost-saving thingy.

Also, eight discs? I find that a bit more strange, but it does make sense.

PS: Oh yeah, totally buying the shit out of this.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:08 pm

The sheer fact that these will be the widescreen versions is very close to being the single reason I will now *not* purchase this set.

Bullshit.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:11 pm

I agree about the bullshit part, but I'll probably buy it just to get my hands on one of these Dragon Boxes.

But yeah, it sucks. And what do you mean cost-saving? The fact that FUNimation got the fullscreen versions and released them means that Toei DOES have full screen versions...nothing involving cost.

P.S. VegettoEX, out of curiosity, what is/are the other, smaller reasons you won't buy it?

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The sheer fact that these will be the widescreen versions is very close to being the single reason I will now *not* purchase this set.

Bullshit.
'Kay.

I don't see why this is coming as a big suprise to people. I mean, countless (well not countless, but you get the idea) Anime movies from Toei which are also based from longer running series (Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Mazinger/etc) are Cut-widescreen in their DVD releases. Why should Dragonball be any different?
And what do you mean cost-saving? The fact that FUNimation got the fullscreen versions and released them means that Toei DOES have full screen versions...nothing involving cost.
It saves cost during the actual production of the film, not nessecerally for the DVD release, because natural widescreen frames would require something like 15-25% more footage to be animated, whereas doing a fullscreen thing and then simply slicing the top and bottom off makes it much more cost effective.
Last edited by Magnaboss on Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:13 pm

Kanzentai wrote:Pre-order begins: December 21, 2005
On sale: March 24, 2006

Retail price: 50,000 yen

- 8 disks, dual-layered, containing all 17 movies (3 DB, 13 DBZ, 10th Anniversary)
- Movies presented in 16:9 letterbox format
- Full color booklet
- Theatrical previews and TV spots included
- Picture labelled disks
- New Print Component Master (not sure what this means)
- 2 "Scouter" transceivers (kind of like walkie-talkies I suppose)

Some interesting things to note here. First, the movies are going to be presented in 16:9 letterbox format (widescreen), while it's general knowledge that the movies were made in 4:3 fullscreen. Perhaps there's something we don't know...or perhaps they're just cropping the film again. ^_^ There's also this "New Print Component Master", although I'm not too sure exactly what it means (I'm guessing it's good). The scouters seem like a really cool idea, and FINALLY we'll be getting the original movie introductions (which haven't been released since the Japanese VHS releases!).
Here's a bit more info I just posted over on Kanzentai. First off, I'm exteremely happy to see the theatrical previews are going to be available on these DVDs. But what I'm more interested in is this "New Print Component Master" thing. Does anybody know what this means? Maybe it has something to do with the widescreen...
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:17 pm

I imagine New Print Component Master would mean that these have been remastered, or transfered to a new master. Shiny quality, either way.

Also, to make a small ammendment on my previous post and the whole "suprised you didn't know", don't take it as a sort of "you should still buy it anyway" because it's your money and your choice. No bad blood or nothin' :)

edit: also, looking over it, this is an insanly good price for R2 standards, since it's 17 films, and physical extras too. I mean the Saint Seiya movie set cost something like 20,000 at retail, and that was only four films (three of them being 45 min, the other being 70)

Crazy.
Last edited by Magnaboss on Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:20 pm

It's just nonsense. If these are supposed to be the ultimate, amazing, perfect, collector's-edition versions of DragonBall... why should I want an inferior product that's missing something like 27% of the screen? It obviously exists, and if I'm going to pay hundreds of dollars for it, I should be getting everything they have. This isn't a push-out-the-door FUNimation product.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's just nonsense. If these are supposed to be the ultimate, amazing, perfect, collector's-edition versions of DragonBall... why should I want an inferior product that's missing something like 27% of the screen? It obviously exists, and if I'm going to pay hundreds of dollars for it, I should be getting everything they have. This isn't a push-out-the-door FUNimation product.
As I said, this is a standard practice which is for a Japanese release, not an American one. The considerations of American audiences, as proven by the lack of any English translation, is little-to-none at best. You don't have to buy it, and I am not trying to excuse them from doing it, I'm merely stating why they would, and why it should have been expected. It is entirely your choice and your money.

Happy smiles and cake and shit :)

edit (uhh again): This, as far as I know (please feel free to prove me wrong) these were never promoted as the biggest, best, super perfect everything collections of Dragonball, they were promoted as the First Japanese (and sometimes insinuated as the first in general) DVD-release, whichwould contain the entire show and extras. If it was going to be the biggest, bestest superduper one, it'd have plenty of other things, which is so happens, it does not.
Last edited by Magnaboss on Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:26 pm

Nobody's forcing you to buy it... :?
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:30 pm

DBW wrote:Nobody's forcing you to buy it... :?
However, you do have the right to complain or be dissapointed when something does not meet up to your expectations, so EX's and others qualms are perfectly legitimate.

However, it doesn't mean these things are done without their reasons, but whatever, as you said, you don't have to buy it.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:37 pm

Though it's in widescreen, I won't mind. Why? Simply because I'm completely used to all of the Dragon Ball/Z movies being in "widescreen." The fact that the movies may end up being remastered and come with plenty of movie goodies and actual walkie talkie Scouters makes the box quite a buy. Especially since it's all 17 movies in one set.

I should start saving. :o

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:42 pm

I'm hoping for a book not entirely dissimilar with the Dragonbooks, whcih has concept art and large pictures of the original posters/coverarts. It couldn't hurt :)

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:31 am

w00t, last Dragon Box, here I come...

-Corey

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:40 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:w00t, last Dragon Box, here I come...

-Corey
Must've been quite a journey for you, hey?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:54 am

VegettoEX wrote:It's just nonsense. If these are supposed to be the ultimate, amazing, perfect, collector's-edition versions of DragonBall... why should I want an inferior product that's missing something like 27% of the screen? It obviously exists, and if I'm going to pay hundreds of dollars for it, I should be getting everything they have. This isn't a push-out-the-door FUNimation product.
Eh, I'm the most completist asshole there is in regards to DB/Z/GT...wait, strike that, in regards to anything. Hence why I am buying the JP sets, but still...in this case I can let it slide. I honestly *do* believe they were animated in full frame, but intended for release as letterbox. And that...well, I saw the movies originally in that format, so I'm not too upset.

Edit: I'm reminded of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD releases, and how the UK got 16:9 video on some boxes whereas the US got 4:3, and people got *pissed*. Joss Whedon then had to explain personally how the show was intended to be viewed as 4:3, regardless of how it was shot originally.
Magnaboss wrote:Must've been quite a journey for you, hey?
Oh yeah. Just think, in the past four years I've collected the entirety of all three series, and the entire manga. That's pure insanity, but I'm crazy so it works out ;p

Still working on the learning of the Japanese though, which makes me doubly insane I suppose ;)

-Corey