Will Dragonball ever truly die?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 'lo Legends » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Do you think that there'll ever be a point where, no more Dragonball merchandise is being made? Or enough to call it dead?
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:54 pm

For me, the merchandise doesn't need to be made to keep me as a fan. As corny as it sounds, Dragonball will never die in my heart. I'll probably remember it until I die, and hopefully my kids might get a kick out of it. (It'd be a damn shame if all of my collection went to waste.)

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 'lo Legends » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:22 pm

I know, but what I'm saying is, has Dragonball become a part of Japanese culture? To the point where it can never truly die? (like, for example, Gundam, Pokemon, or Doraemon)
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:27 pm

I agree with h3ndrix2005, the merchandise isn't the important thing. Look at Sagas, even though it sucked total ass, no one started hating DB because of a sucky video game. Hey, maybe if we're lucky in twenty years it'll be popular again, and we'll be able to brag about how we were the some of the original fans to our kids and grandkids!

BTW, h3ndrix2005, you're right, it would suck to see our collections go to waste :?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:34 pm

h3ndrix2005 wrote:For me, the merchandise doesn't need to be made to keep me as a fan. As corny as it sounds, Dragonball will never die in my heart. I'll probably remember it until I die, and hopefully my kids might get a kick out of it. (It'd be a damn shame if all of my collection went to waste.)
Absolutely! I'm gonna introduce my kid(s) (once I have one/some) to DB as soon as they're old enough to pay attention and sit still for 30 minutes. :D
'lo Legends wrote:I know, but what I'm saying is, has Dragonball become a part of Japanese culture? To the point where it can never truly die? (like, for example, Gundam, Pokemon, or Doraemon)
Dragonball is and has been a part of Japanese culture for a long time. I mean, hell, the Dragonboxes were massive sellers 20 years after the series started (about, what 10 after it ended?) and they even re-released the manga in Kanzeban form to big success. I think a good analogy would be Star Wars. Dragonball is Japan's Star Wars.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Dragonball will never truely die because it'll always be remembered! I believe the Star Wars analogy is very accurate. It's continuously praised, rereleased, admired, and made reference to... Even though it's over, it'll continue to live on! And hopefully it'll be passed through the generations like Star Wars... I know I'll pass it down! :wink:

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:53 am

DragonBall most likely will not die anytime soon. We should actually see the fan base rise back up thanks to the Ultimate Uncut Redub. Many old fans were attracted back to the series and there are probably new fans too.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:56 am

Never, not in my heart. 8)

POST 400! :D
14 years later

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:33 am

Once I have kids and they turn 13, they will be required, like a friend of mine, to read the first volume. That friend is now in love with it...all it took was one volume.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:08 pm

Why wait until 13? I know I find more ways to appreciate it as I get older, but a large factor in my love for Dragonball is my nostalgia from the earlier days. If they're old enough to have basic reading comprehension skills, I'd show it to them. But I'm never having kids. ^^
'lo Legends wrote:I know, but what I'm saying is, has Dragonball become a part of Japanese culture? To the point where it can never truly die? (like, for example, Gundam, Pokemon, or Doraemon)
Even more so than those, I believe. It'll never die. Not in Japan, and probably not over here.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:21 pm

Zackarotto wrote:Why wait until 13? I know I find more ways to appreciate it as I get older, but a large factor in my love for Dragonball is my nostalgia from the earlier days. If they're old enough to have basic reading comprehension skills, I'd show it to them. But I'm never having kids. ^^
That's actually how I got a friend from out of the province to read French. (We go to an English university, but since Quebec's French he's taking beginner's French as an elective.) Dragonball may be a comic, but comics are an excellent way to get people to start reading.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:56 pm

Since its from Japan, I doubt it. They seem to have a hard time letting things go. 20 years from now, there will still be something of DB left. I can garuntee you the merchandise wont end. Look at the American properties that Disney owns. Some of them are 60 years old and they havent retired them yet. Hell, they just re-released Cinderella on DVD for the 10th time.

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:06 pm

Not anytime in the near future. However, it will eventually die out. Everything has to die out at some point.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:40 pm

I agree with h3ndrix2005, the merchandise isn't the important thing. Look at Sagas, even though it sucked total ass, no one started hating DB because of a sucky video game.
Ha ha! I know what you mean... just got Sagas, and God, does it blow! I should have listened to the reviews here on Daizex... I'm not sorry I got it though. That's just the point of the topic though... even though Sagas is the worst beat-'em-up I've ever played (and I generally love beat-'em-ups), it's still one of the collection, and as long as there's fans of my caliber, it'll never die. It may fade from uber-popularity at times, but it'll never truly go away.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:34 am

In my opinion, DragonBall is like aids. You can't escape it, and more and more people are fans every day.

So will it die? Possibly when life on the Earth ceases to exist, but even then it might turn out like the cockroaches, and survive what-may.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:37 am

I very much doubt Dragonball fandom will die out. Much like there are still Star Wars fans, still Astroboy fans, ect. Shows with heart always survive in fans hearts - hell even He Man came back from the dead to bring a new show in 2003. Course that didnt last but the old shows out on DVD now. Nostalgia keeps things like DB alive.
-Laserkid

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:19 am

I would wait until they are 13 because Dragonball is littered with Potty humor and 4 occasions of a topless Bulma. I want enough time to instill some morals and good judgement before they read that.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:29 am

I would wait until they are 13 because Dragonball is littered with Potty humor and 4 occasions of a topless Bulma. I want enough time to instill some morals and good judgement before they read that.
Wow, I never realized Duo was a soccer mom... :lol:

Seriously, it's not like Dragonball's going to courpt them or anything. And I found that stuff a lot funnier when I was a little kid than I did when I was a teen.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:26 am

No kidding, the GTA games have more of a chance of corrupting a 13 year old than DB does.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:20 am

Aye, I was quite a bit younger than that when I started reading it. But of course I respect your right to protect your children, just as long as you don't overdo it. Hehe. Soccer mom. However, in all honesty, I never found anything wrong with the breasts. Not in the deepest, darkest regions of my brain.

I'd be more concerned about Bulma almost getting raped once, although I think Goku came in before she was even touched. Sure, danger of rape happens in every manga ever at least once (or in Berserk, it actually happens... poor Gutts). Hell, there was one of those situations in a Black Cat chapter I was reading yesterday. But I still found it to be a big deal at the time of Dragonball.

I don't want to derail this topic completely, so I did some thinking. I said it would never die, but things will certainly change when all the original fans die out (including Akira Toriyama). But then, I might as well say Dragonball fandom will be different in 2100. Of course it will. Maybe humanity will be extinct due to from bird flu and the next thousand upcoming natural disasters.