Piccolo healing himself in Garlic, Jr. saga

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheLiveActionAnimeBoy

Piccolo healing himself in Garlic, Jr. saga

Post by TheLiveActionAnimeBoy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:31 pm

Maybe this question has been addressed before and I did tried looking and must have missed it. Anyway, on to the question. I am currently on the Garlic, Jr. saga with my DBZ DVDs I got and when Piccolo reveals he was really faking being under Garlic's control, he used the healing powers Dende also uses. I thought warrior Namek-sei-jins couldn't have this kind of power? Or is Piccolo capable of developing such an ability?

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:14 pm

Piccolo can regenerate. It uses a lot of his ki but he can do it.
Dende on the other hand can heal others (can he heal himself?) which is one of the main reasons he wasnt left back on Namek when Toriyama was thinking of some good plot twists...
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:40 pm

Ugh...I hate the Garlic Jr. saga...Anyway, what you said about Piccolo and Dende is correct. There are two types of Namekseijin, the healer and the warrior; Dende is a healer and Piccolo is a warrior. All Namekseijin can regenerate.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

TheLiveActionAnimeBoy

Post by TheLiveActionAnimeBoy » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:31 am

I watched the DVD last night when Dende is healing someone and Piccolo asked if he had that kind of ability as well. Dende said that Piccolo is a warrior type and doesn't have that kind of power. I know they do regenerating but Piccolo puts his fingers up against the bite wounds on his neck and heals them using the same technique Dende use to heal Vejita, Gohan, and Kuririn.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:13 pm

The Garlic Jr. Saga is anime only so there's going to be problems with consistancy anyway (like Garlic Jr. himself). But I always took at is as him just putting his hands on his neck to work out the muscles while he regenerated.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:38 pm

Xyex wrote:The Garlic Jr. Saga is anime only so there's going to be problems with consistancy anyway (like Garlic Jr. himself). But I always took at is as him just putting his hands on his neck to work out the muscles while he regenerated.
That's a perfectly reasonable explanation, but perhaps Piccolo really did heal himself. I assume that when Dende says 'healer type' and 'warrior type' he refers merely to what techniques certain Nameccians specialize in. That is to say, there's no physiological reason why a warrior type couldn't learn how to heal others: they just arn't taught (sp?) that technique. And there's no reason why Piccolo couldn't have learned it by that point.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:42 pm

Actually, I've taken it not as just a career type thing, but an actual varriance to them. Don't know if they can choose, but I've seen it as different types of Nameks, physically, with different abilites inate to that type. Basic is just your average Namek. Warriors are able to gain strength faster and get stronger than others. Healers have the power to heal people. Not sure if the type that can create Dragonballs is the healer type or a varriant of it though...
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:40 pm

Well, would that mean that the Nameccian chooses to be a healer because he isn't suited to be a warrior? Like Some people choose to be doctors while others become athletes?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:12 am

desirecampbell wrote:Well, would that mean that the Nameccian chooses to be a healer because he isn't suited to be a warrior? Like Some people choose to be doctors while others become athletes?
Perhaps. Either they choose the path that they want (most likely) or they're simply genetically organized to go that way.... Considering they came back from just one Namek and have a population with healers and warriors I'd say they choose.
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:28 am

Xyex wrote:Actually, I've taken it not as just a career type thing, but an actual varriance to them. Don't know if they can choose, but I've seen it as different types of Nameks, physically, with different abilites inate to that type. Basic is just your average Namek. Warriors are able to gain strength faster and get stronger than others. Healers have the power to heal people. Not sure if the type that can create Dragonballs is the healer type or a varriant of it though...
Warriors simply can't use the healing technique. Maybe the way they've learned to manipulate their ki goes against how they'd use it for healing (regeneration excluded since it's purely a genetic trait). We know DBs to be available to the healing class since Dende can make them, but fighters might not be able to make them too for all we know.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:57 am

Dayspring wrote:We know DBs to be available to the healing class since Dende can make them, but fighters might not be able to make them too for all we know.
Piccolo/Kami was originally born from a Dragon family, wasn't he? That's why he had the power to create dragon balls, and he was supposed to be a genius warrior-type.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:00 am

But ignoring GT, Kami made the DBs after his split from Piccolo. Looking at his battle as Shen, we can see he's not a great fighter, just really strong by human standards.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:10 am

Yeah but GT really debunks that theory.
I suppose it is possible that while Piccolo and Kami were together they were more healer than fighter. It's just that once they re-fused they became more Piccolo than Kami.
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:17 am

Dayspring wrote:But ignoring GT, Kami made the DBs after his split from Piccolo. Looking at his battle as Shen, we can see he's not a great fighter, just really strong by human standards.
Who is Shen?
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:34 am

Shen is the human Kami-sama possesed to fight in the torunament against Ma Junior Piccolo.

TheLiveActionAnimeBoy

Post by TheLiveActionAnimeBoy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:32 pm

Dayspring wrote:But ignoring GT, Kami made the DBs after his split from Piccolo. Looking at his battle as Shen, we can see he's not a great fighter, just really strong by human standards.
Well Kami was pretty old when they introduced him so I guess that was also why he couldn't stand well against Ma, Jr. at the tournament.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:36 pm

Well Kami was pretty old when they introduced him so I guess that was also why he couldn't stand well against Ma, Jr. at the tournament.
His age had nothing to do with it. Ma Junior was simply stronger than him. I mean, Daimao, an old fart, gave Goku the beating of a lifetime. Then, he lost when he was young again. That says it all.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:13 pm

askani son wrote:Yeah but GT really debunks that theory.
Which is why I said to ignore GT. GT debunked its own theory, stating that the Blackstar DBs were made prior to Kami's defusing from Piccolo. That's all fine and dandy, but if he was able to become Kami without separating from his evil side, why defuse at all?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:48 am

As mentioned before, one would think that Nameks pretty much can all heal themselves, though only the healers could really do so to other people as well.

Lookit Piccolo. His arm's been torn off, ripped off, blasted off, you name it. And he's grown it right back into place.

It would make sense that all Nameks can heal just themselves, while only the healer-types could heal themselves and others since they're more naturally capable in using their energy for healing properties rather than fighting.

Ah who knows? :s

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:11 am

Growing limbs is regeneration, not healing. Regeneration is a genetic thing with the Nameks. Healing seems to be a skill. So there's a difference.
<Xyex> Good point.