Son Goku's first SSJ transformation

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Son Goku's first SSJ transformation

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:52 am

Hi there

I watched some episodes of our beloved anime and I came across something that bothered me a little bit. When I first watched the scene where Goku turns SSJ against Freezer as a kid years ago I was left in awe about it. It was awesome back then.

Now the scream when he turns SSJ for the first time EVER in the anime kind of bothers me and I'll explain why.
In a nutshell: it's way too short.

Compared to when he turns SSJ3 it's nothing. He just lifts his head up and screams for not even a second and then he's transformed. I probably forgot about it since I haven't watched this scene in years properly but now it seems misplaced to me.

I mean he turns SSJ for the first time ever to beat the strongest villain at that time and he powers up so short.
I actually expected an all-out scream like when he turned SSJ3. Probably not as long as SSJ3 but sufficiently longer to create the effect of a lot of stress and strength. It could have conveyed much more rage. It would have fitted so much better when I think about it now.

What do you think?
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Son Goku's first SSJ transformation

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:25 pm

InfernalVegito wrote: What do you think?
First and foremost I actually saw this episode earlier today, since it was broadcasted on Danish TV.
I can safely say that the danish version of this scene is far inferior to the original and the scream is so pathetic it's funny(Seriously Caspar Phillipson I'm dissapoint).

So about the original.
I thought it was fitting. The scream in itself was very powerful and doesn't even sound like Goku. It's incredible to say the least that Nozawa could pull that off. I think it's a really great climax to the transformation sequence, which everything before lead up to.
Personally I prefer the animated version to the manga one, as the manga one doesn't even feature Goku screaming a la, what Gohan did against Cell.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:44 pm

He doesn't scream at all during the transformation in the manga, so I guess you can count yourself lucky that the anime at least threw one in.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Herms wrote:He doesn't scream at all during the transformation in the manga, so I guess you can count yourself lucky that the anime at least threw one in.
My point exactly. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Herms wrote:He doesn't scream at all during the transformation in the manga, so I guess you can count yourself lucky that the anime at least threw one in.
Oh really? Well I've never read the manga, only watched the anime adaption and find it kind of anti-climatic now considering how short it was.

Does anyone know why Toriyama didn't add the scream in the manga in the first place? I mean it's the first transformation we witness and in my view it should have been more brutal. Somehow like SSJ3.

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:07 pm

I've always hated the anime version of the first transformation. Toriyama had this one right. Even without all the lightening, and bulging veins and shouting in the manga, it's so much more ferocious and angry. It's just a little snap, and all of a sudden Goku's glaring at Freeza ready to go. Sometimes less is more.

There are plenty of moments where I prefer the anime. This is not one of them.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Hmm okay. I gotta see the manga version of this then. It'll probably change my mind. The way you described it Cipher sounds very superior in terms of suspense.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:03 pm

I saw the animated version first, so I was expecting something, when I went to read it in the manga, but I wasn't taken aback or anything, I just found it boring.

Personally, I think DBZ Budokai 1 did it best. Like in the manga it's short, there's no scream, but like in the anime the visuals and the sound effects(especially when it goes 'boom' as he transforms into a Super Saiyan) more than make up for it.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:11 pm

This is one of the scenes where I actually prefer the early FUNimation dub over the original Japanese and Kai versions. I felt like the music/weather effects represented how Goku must be feeling really well.
I agree the scream could have been longer, but the rest of that scene more than made up for it.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:20 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:Hmm okay. I gotta see the manga version of this then. It'll probably change my mind. The way you described it Cipher sounds very superior in terms of suspense.
Well, I don't know if it's more "suspenseful." It's literally like two panels in the manga. Kuririn dies, and about a second later, Goku just snaps right into Super Saiyan and starts glaring at Freeza. You may not prefer it, but I think it's superior to the drawn-out anime version.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:58 pm

I honestly think I like Burst Limits version best. The scene is nice and quick, not too drawn out, but it adds in a little more stress for Goku achieving the form. The only thing I think they should have done is include a short little scream/grunt/whimper-thing during the actual transformation to show that it was a little more stressful than they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr31Dcki ... re=related
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:57 pm

dbgtFO wrote:The scream in itself was very powerful and doesn't even sound like Goku. It's incredible to say the least that Nozawa could pull that off.
Actually, they just pitched down Nozawa's normal yell.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:The scream in itself was very powerful and doesn't even sound like Goku. It's incredible to say the least that Nozawa could pull that off.
Actually, they just pitched down Nozawa's normal yell.
Really? I've never heard this tidbit before...
Oh well, it's still awesome.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:35 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:Hmm okay. I gotta see the manga version of this then. It'll probably change my mind. The way you described it Cipher sounds very superior in terms of suspense.
Here is it

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Wow thanks.

I can say now that both versions have their pros and cons. Depends on how you look at it and expect it to be, I guess.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:27 pm

The thing that pissed me off about the anime is it made it look like Goku was trying to transform, while in the manga, it simply "happened" spontaneously. There was no scream of exersion like it was an effort.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:The thing that pissed me off about the anime is it made it look like Goku was trying to transform, while in the manga, it simply "happened" spontaneously. There was no scream of exersion like it was an effort.
I never viewed the anime as making it seem like Goku was trying to push himself to transform after it was triggered. The screams and stuff were just an outlet to deal with the taxing changes his body was undergoing. Just like how some people feel like screaming, or do, when they get a charlie-horse or a migraine. It's not like they were trying to get 'em, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when you do.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 am

I like how Freeza just stands there and watches Goku grunt for three minutes.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:13 am

Rocketman wrote:I like how Freeza just stands there and watches Goku grunt for three minutes.
That's one of the reason's why I like the Burst Limit version of the scene. Even though its basically the same thing as the anime, minus the scream, I feel its a believable length of time for Freeza to still be confused enough to not try to kill Goku before the transformation finishes and he realizes that he should have killed him when he had the chance.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Rocketman wrote:I like how Freeza just stands there and watches Goku grunt for three minutes.
Didn't he chuckle while Goku was getting all pissed off? I've always took it as him reveling in making Goku suffer after all the shit he went through. I could picture Freeza wanting to watch a lower life form mentally collapse as long as possible before killing him and his son.

That or stupid filler, one of the two.