Cut from Sparking!

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AznMastah

Post by AznMastah » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:00 pm

:( Yeah i wish they'd put pretty much all the MAIN bad guys and good guy characters. I think it'd be cool if they had Master Roshi-sama (^^) hehe
If I'm dodging i wont get hit, if i'm protecting someone I won't let them die, and if I'm attacking...I WILL CUT YOU!!!!

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:46 pm

Sparking! DOES have Muten Roshi.

AznMastah

Post by AznMastah » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:40 pm

:shock: OMG reallly?! Nice XD
If I'm dodging i wont get hit, if i'm protecting someone I won't let them die, and if I'm attacking...I WILL CUT YOU!!!!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:18 am

Ok, those are all great people to include in a game but...I think the person everyone is leaving out is Bacterian! Come on think of those super moves! He can have the Pubic Pulveriser or the Snot Rocket or the Fatal Farts! Think of the possibilities! :shock: :shock:

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:22 am

Does anyone believe at one point they were going to include Bojack before his transformation?

Because his character is subtitled as "Post-Transformation" but why bother doing that if he doesn't have another form to relate to?

They didn't lable Cooler, Broly, or Janemba that way either, just him.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:25 am

Well, the game was rushed, so yeah, it's a possibility.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:37 am

Yajirobe and his amazing ass-biting ability didn't make the cut into this game. :(

I'm still wondering why Pan wasn't included. Just heavily limits the female choices down. Hell, they could've had Bojack's gal henchman join in like in Super Butouden 2. o_O

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

For the Record:

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:45 am

Just because I can, I'm gonna post all the fighters/forms/fusions cut from Budokai 3.

Fighters:
Omega Shenron
Uub
Supreme Kai
King Piccolo (I know, an alternate skin in only the collectors/greatest hits version, but still should be counted IMO)

Fusions:
Kabtioshin
Piccolo-Absorbed Super Buu

Forms:
Potential Unlocked Kid Gohan
SSJ2 Trunks (I know, a form he should never even have, but a form nonetheless)
Potential Unlocked Krillin
Nail-Synced Piccolo
Kami-Fused Piccolo
High Tensioned Hercule
Demonic Willed Dabura
Base-form Cooler
Metal Cooler
Base-form Broly

And there ya go.
14 years later

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:45 am

I can't help but think "Why does it matter who was cut?"
The game has an extraordinary amout of characters, it tops every DragonBall game so far and it is a generally fun game to play (once you get past that learning curve).
I just don't really see why there needs to be a discussion on the characters or lack of them.

But then again I am not trying to stop this, I can't, I just think that the game needs to be praised and not complained about.
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:25 am

The only characters I think BT needs are Pan, Meta-Cooler, Omega Shenron and Kaioshin.
Kibitoshin had pretty much the same moves as Kaiohsin, so he is completly useless.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:21 pm

I don't really care who's in the game or not, I'm just pissed there's still no 'create-a-character' option. That'd be cool.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:44 pm

A Tekken 5-like customization feature would've been nice, too.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:36 pm

Create-a-character would suck horribly. It would suck the yolk out of hard-boiled eggs.

Not only would it make the game take longer to make, resources would be diverted from making good representations of the DBZ characters to making lots of options for CaC. Then making the models. Programming the attacks.

Bleh.

Make your own game if you want to use your own character.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:56 pm

Rocketman wrote:Create-a-character would suck horribly. It would suck the yolk out of hard-boiled eggs.

Not only would it make the game take longer to make, resources would be diverted from making good representations of the DBZ characters to making lots of options for CaC. Then making the models. Programming the attacks.

Bleh.

Make your own game if you want to use your own character.
Why would that suck horribly? Character creation wouldn't divert any resources from making the other character models (necessarily). It's not like CaC modes arn't in lots of other games - and none of those games seem to be detrimentily effected by it, rather, the opposite is true. How much better is any Tony Hawk game because you can re-create yourself in the game?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:37 pm

I can't help but think "Why does it matter who was cut?"
The game has an extraordinary amout of characters, it tops every DragonBall game so far and it is a generally fun game to play (once you get past that learning curve).
I just don't really see why there needs to be a discussion on the characters or lack of them.

But then again I am not trying to stop this, I can't, I just think that the game needs to be praised and not complained about.
Except the game has flaws, many flaws, and they are bad flaws. Flaws that detract from the game and make it non-praise worthy. It was a decent first attmept, averaging out to no better than Budokai 1. Characters are only a very minorly small part of this. But a part. And by your standards they could have dropped Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan so long as they added enough characters to compensate. Quality over quantity. I love the fact there's so many characters... but the fact is there aren't as many as it seems. Most of them play exactly like the others, far more so than in B1, even on scale.

But that's minor in comparison to the 3 major problems. The controls, balance issues, and lack of depth. Learning curve? There is no learning curve. It tok me all of 2 minutes to get into the control flow. However the controls are clunky, unresponsive at times, touchy other times, and the camera needs work. As for the depth issue most matches quickly devolved into spamming energy blasts. Why? Because hand-to-hand combat is entirely pointless. You'll be an hour trying to win that way.

And then there's the balance problems. I can sort of see the larger characters like Broly and Oozaru being non-reactive to basic blows but to make them immune to all Rush-Type attacks? That negates the moves of dozens of characters, and Videl's entire move set, relegating you to the cumbersome, repetitive, and tedious, not to mention broken, hand-to-hand system.

So there is plenty to complain about in hopes the next game will be improved. That's not to say I don't like the game, it does have it's moments and it is a good time waster... and it has it's own pull to playing it over the Budokai games just like each of them offers it's own incentive to play. However, the cons, at the least, equal the pros, if not outweighing them.
Create-a-character would suck horribly. It would suck the yolk out of hard-boiled eggs.
Create-a-Character would kick ass. Plain and simple. It's the one must have feature that they have yet to include. A feature easy to implement in a game of BT's style and design and one that would have increased the game's replay value and general qaulity considerably.
Negative. Hundreds upon hundreds of games make use of a Create-a-Character mode, it's pretty much a standard in wrestling games, and it detracts nothing from the game. And I'm sure Spike has better ways to 'divert resrouces away from making good representations of the DBZ characters' since they did such a good job being diverted this time around. Create-a-Character would have greatly improved this game.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:21 pm

And by your standards they could have dropped Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan so long as they added enough characters to compensate. Quality over quantity.
That really isn't what I meant, I was just saying that with the amount of characters there, it has someone to suit everyone and each character (IMO) is sufficiently different for it not to become repetitive.

Ok, as for the rest of your post, I agree (except for the learning curve thing...). I just feel that the game shows a lot of potential and in multiplayer it rules. My main problem was that everyone was complaining about it almost as much as sagas...I just didn't want the games tarred with the same brush...
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:03 pm

The difference between DBZ Games and Games with Create-a-character is that the games that feature it are about the sport/activity, whereas the DBZ Games are about the Characters and the story.

Which is why create-a-character isn't really likely, and it sounds like it could go horribly wrong very easily, considering who would be developing it.

My biggest beef with the game is how the characters moved in the Cinema's...hell, just look at the Great Ape Jaw...ugh... Plus there are some other problems here and there, but all-in-all I think it captures the DBZ "experience" better then any of it's predecessors.

But next time they better include -
- More levels, like Hell for fighting Janemba
- Sagas longer than one damned fight. I know the movies were short but...c'mon. Even Super 17, in all his retarded background, should have had 3 or 4 fights in his Saga, Bebi as well.
- More creative "what-if?" scenario's. I could have done better then them on my own, and their professionals.
- Pre transformations for the minor characters. I'm glad I can use 5 Goku's, 9 Vegeta's, and 9 Gohan's, but no Cooler Base?
- The Power Up scenes need to not suck. Good lord, the battle openings/closings sucked.
- a CGI opening that portrays some...accuracy.
- Actual Japanese subs for the Japanese voices. They didn't change them at all.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:30 pm

Xyex wrote:
Create-a-Character would kick ass. Plain and simple. It's the one must have feature that they have yet to include. A feature easy to implement in a game of BT's style and design and one that would have increased the game's replay value and general qaulity considerably.
Sounds more like a fanwank to me.

"Hehehehe, my supacool charactr, is supaaSaiya-jinn4 and can beat up Gokuu hehehehe"

It's a DBZ game. DBZ. Not fanwank.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:29 pm

The difference between DBZ Games and Games with Create-a-character is that the games that feature it are about the sport/activity, whereas the DBZ Games are about the Characters and the story.

Which is why create-a-character isn't really likely, and it sounds like it could go horribly wrong very easily, considering who would be developing it.
And I thought lost was cynnical. The only thing a Create-a-Character could do is improve the game. Yes, DBZ is about the characters and story, but the games are about the fighting. Otherwise they'd make DBZ racing games or something.
Rocketman wrote:
Xyex wrote:
Sounds more like a fanwank to me.

"Hehehehe, my supacool charactr, is supaaSaiya-jinn4 and can beat up Gokuu hehehehe"

It's a DBZ game. DBZ. Not fanwank.
Wow, another cynnic... lost's got some competition it seems. Your obvious dislike for fan material on the series means absolutely jack when it comes to the quality of including a create-a-character feature. Having it there simply as an extra, allowing you to create any character you can think of for use in duel mode wouldn't make a game bad.

Making a special story mode of sorts for created characters would, at last, get us away from the same story we've seen in at least a dozen games. And beyond that, it would be cool. Plus, getting to use characters I've created in a game would be beyond awesome.[/quote]
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:35 pm

Xyex wrote: And I thought lost was cynnical. The only thing a Create-a-Character could do is improve the game. Yes, DBZ is about the characters and story, but the games are about the fighting. Otherwise they'd make DBZ racing games or something.

Wow, another cynnic... lost's got some competition it seems. Your obvious dislike for fan material on the series means absolutely jack when it comes to the quality of including a create-a-character feature. Having it there simply as an extra, allowing you to create any character you can think of for use in duel mode wouldn't make a game bad.

Making a special story mode of sorts for created characters would, at last, get us away from the same story we've seen in at least a dozen games. And beyond that, it would be cool. Plus, getting to use characters I've created in a game would be beyond awesome.
Haha. I have competition? Spare me.

Anyway, I agree in part that create-a-character would be bad, but then comes the other part, which I also think that if ballanced correctly, with the other characters, could allow for a bit of "what-if"-ness to the whole scenario.
The only really bad part I've ever seen to the C-A-C device, is that several times (at least in wrestling games from way back when,) they allow you to customize your stats pretty liberally, thus removing a lot of the challenge that the game had to begin with. The ballancing out of characters abilities is the biggiest issue I've ever worried about when it comes to games, not just DragonBall titles either.

As far as DBZ Racing games go, I think that would be pretty neat, actually. I mean Mario has his own racing game(s), not to mention having several actual sports games under his belt, so why couldn't DBZ? Realistically it would only be a novelty, but thats what a lot of franchise-non-type-cast games tend to be. (DDR Mario Mix, anyone?)

Fanwank or not, if they want to keep making money off of us fans, on DBZ games, they'll have to do a serious bit of exploration. I don't see myself continually buying new Budokai titles, unless they significantly improve controls, since we're pretty much on the peak of what the series is meant to be, in the way of trying to be more close to the series with the action and what have you. So either way, I'll urge them to explore the limits of their liscensing a bit.

(Oh, and Xyex, "cynic" has one "n". :P )