Filler! Oh your god, no!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Filler! Oh your god, no!

Post by Dayspring » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:27 pm

Just wondering what your favorite filler episodes/sagas/scenes were and why.

Mine include the Bardock and Trunks Specials, the driving episode, the episode where Gohan finds the robot, and the blatantly plothole making Kaio-explanation of the Saiyan origins.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:30 pm

No particular episodes or whatnot, I just pretty much enjoyed the extremely over-extended fifty billion episode battle of Son Goku vs. Freeza. Longest five minutes of my life.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:32 pm

When Goku and Piccolo go to driving school. That's a classic.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:40 pm

Driving School, Base Vegetto vs Super Gohan Buu, and the filler chunks of the Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:19 pm

Let's see...Goku and Piccolo's driving school episode, Trunks and Bardock specials, Kaio's explanation of Saiyajin origins was pretty cool...

I also really enjoyed the Gohan meeting Mr. Robot episode! I finally got to see it! (No thanks to you FUNi bastards)
Base Vegetto vs Super Gohan Buu
Wow. I didn't know that was filler...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:22 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:Let's see...Goku and Piccolo's driving school episode, Trunks and Bardock specials, Kaio's explanation of Saiyajin origins was pretty cool...
If by "cool" you mean "confusing", then yes, I agree. For the longest time I thought Freeza was the Vegeta-Sei Guardian.

Anyway, favourite filler? Don't know. Probably the driving school, it was friggin' hi-larious.

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:31 pm

Oh the driving school episode, that one's just awesome. It makes me think of my friend who said that that's the only episode in all of DBZ that he actually somewhat likes. And yeah, the bardock and trunks specials, the movies, and a few other stuff here and there.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:56 pm

The Garlic Jr. Saga...

I kid. I'm going to go with the rest of you all and say the Driving episode, just because I'm to lazy to remember any others at the moment.

ChibiKenji
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ChibiKenji » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:22 am

I'd have to agree with the driving episode and Bardock and Trunks specials. I also enjoyed Gohan's adventure with the orphans.

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:32 am

Tien, Yamcha and Chaozu vs the Ginyu Force. I'm a big fan of the human characters (Tien and Yamcha especially) and I loved seeing them whoop up on the Gunyu Force. I also like the Ginyu Force so this is one of my favorite episodes.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:01 am

My favorite fillers include the episodes of Goku's training journeys before the 22nd Budoukai. I thought they were well-written and a lot of fun. While the Garlic Junior saga isn't all that, I did enjoy the idea of a self-contained filler arc without Goku in the mix and watching the others take care of things. What I really like about Garlic Jr. though are the Vegeta in space scenes. I thought they were kind of interesting.

Also the stuff taking place the week before the Cell Games, because I thought it fit the story so well, and really set the stage for things to come. Plus I absolutely love Tao Pai Pai, and thoroughly enjoyed his appearances. I always thought it would have been nice if he could have played a bigger role in the Cell arc.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:43 am

Buruma and the crab! Just joking. :P

Like everyone else I love the driving school episode. I also love the Bardock special, the robot ep, the party stuff at the end of the Buu Saga and the Princess Snake ep.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:00 am

Like everyone else has said, the Bardock special and when Goku and Piccolo go to driving school. I didn't actually like the Trunks special *is faithful Mike's girlfriend isn't around*.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:03 am

Portions of the Super Vegetto vs. Super Boo fight, since Toriyama-sensei originally had it so short, and the biggest clash of all time should have a longer fight.

Although, I cringed at Super Ghosts firing blasts of Chi. Since when can Chi fire Chi?!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:46 am

My favorite "filler" would have to be all 3 TV specials, when Goku went back in time and met master Mutaito as well as Roshi in the Pendulum room, the episode where Tien and the others go to planet Vegeta in the Pendulum, the Garlic Jr. eps because they provided great screen time for Gohan and forshadowed the man he was destined to become, Vegeta's inner psyche exploration in his gravity training episode, the driving school episode of course, the Cell Games-10 days of peace episodes with Goku and Gohan, DBZ movie 9, the after-world Budokai, Gotenks' first battle with Buu simply because he gets his ass handed to him after making fun of Buu, the Base-form Vegito Vs. Super Buu battle, the Pikkon Vs. Kid Buu fight since I was always hoping to see Pikkon again, the episode following Kid Buu's defeat when Gohan and Videl tried to foil a bank robbery because it set up the Great Saiya team in movie 13, the party at West City that Goku and literally all the Z gang has before movie 13 and the 10 years later point, DBZ movie 13, and the end of the GT series itself. Whew, that was long, but then again, I'm an anime purist, so I'm probably someone who doesn't mind stuff that wasn't in Toriyama's manga, considering the anime is supposed to be its own adapted thing and not a copy-pasting of the manga.
14 years later

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:29 am

The party was filler? In that case, that's on my list too.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:09 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:My favorite "filler" would have to be all 3 TV specials, when Goku went back in time and met master Mutaito as well as Roshi in the Pendulum room, the episode where Tenshinhan and the others go to planet Vegeta in the Pendulum, the Garlic Jr. eps because they provided great screen time for Gohan and forshadowed the man he was destined to become, Vegeta's inner psyche exploration in his gravity training episode, the driving school episode of course, the Cell Games-10 days of peace episodes with Goku and Gohan, DBZ movie 9, the after-world Budokai, Gotenks' first battle with Buu simply because he gets his ass handed to him after making fun of Buu, the Base-form Vegito Vs. Super Buu battle, the Paikuhan Vs. Kid Buu fight since I was always hoping to see Paikuhan again, the episode following Kid Buu's defeat when Gohan and Videl tried to foil a bank robbery because it set up the Great Saiya team in movie 13, the party at West City that Goku and literally all the Z gang has before movie 13 and the 10 years later point, DBZ movie 13, and the end of the GT series itself. Whew, that was long, but then again, I'm an anime purist, so I'm probably someone who doesn't mind stuff that wasn't in Toriyama's manga, considering the anime is supposed to be its own adapted thing and not a copy-pasting of the manga.
There was a THIRD TV Special?
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:27 pm

The GT one?
Where's the beef?

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:12 pm

I actually liked the episodes where Goku goes on Snake Way, the one where he falls off, catching Bubbles and all that. The robot episode is nice too.

I also like base Vegetto Vs Super Buu, the way that episode is handled is great, especially the part when Buu is going to throw that massive energy ball and blow up Earth, the music in that scene is good. He gives Buu a good beating too.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:06 pm

If by "cool" you mean "confusing", then yes, I agree. For the longest time I thought Freeza was the Vegeta-Sei Guardian.
:lol: I just meant the part with the Saiyajin fighting the Tsufurujin was cool.
I also enjoyed Gohan's adventure with the orphans.
I can't believe I forgot about this one! It was actually one of the first episodes of DBZ I've ever seen.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.