Does anybody here remember Made From Goats?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJFrogGinyu

Does anybody here remember Made From Goats?

Post by SSJFrogGinyu » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:52 am

It was a DBZ humor site kind of in the vein of Mr. Popo's Palace, only a little meaner. I used to read it for entertainment on slow or rainy days. Around the early 2000's, at the same time that DBZ Uncensored and Planet Namek closed down, the webmasters stopped updating MFG, but left with a message that they were going to expand its subject matter beyond DBZ and make it a general anime site. Instead they abandoned it and the domain expired.

Recently I pulled up MFG using the Wayback Machine, and to my surprise I still found it pretty funny! Sure, it relies a lot on vulgarity and there are a LOT of gay jokes, but I like the webmaster's flow and writing style; I guess the humor appeals to the jackass still in me.

It's still available on the Wayback Machine, but you have to go back to 2001 or so to actually see it.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Re: Does anybody here remember Made From Goats?

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I loved that site. What's the url you used to find it on the wayback machine?

SSJFrogGinyu

Post by SSJFrogGinyu » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:32 pm

http://www.madefromgoats.com

Here's the Web Archive link:

http://web.archive.org/web/200209271522 ... goats.com/

The out HTML layout is kind of mashed up, at least in my browser. It's still readable, though.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:53 am

I do fondly remember that site's take on DBZ and its fandom, although I think it appealed more to my sense of humor as a teenager. Was it also known as "DBZ Blows Goats"?
I can see their parachutes.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm reading the character bios now... this guy absolutely destroys Goku. It's hilarious.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Vice wrote:I'm reading the character bios now... this guy absolutely destroys Goku. It's hilarious.
I read a good bit of it. I don't think I'm the target audience for this.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:28 pm

This is pretty funny. I just read Goku, Vegeta and Bulma's bios and I couldn't stop laughing.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:04 pm

I enjoyed that site a lot... I remember that Mr. E hated it even though he linked to it on PN.com. ("it's bad enough we link to those guys")
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:47 pm

It reads like a Dragonball exclusive Encyclopedia Dramatica. Not my cup of tea but hey...

SSJFrogGinyu

Post by SSJFrogGinyu » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:03 pm

My favorite profile was always Bulma's, especially the joke about her parents' permissiveness. I can only imagine how the discussion could've gone when she broke the news about her baby daddy.

I love his descriptions of characters and things. "A 400-pound French clown wearing golf pants." "They picked a random old Mormon woman to portray the galaxy's vile Hitler." "Building his invincible moustache alone took over 10 years and 50 million dollars." "Saban, I know where your mother works."

But yeah, it's a very specific type of humor that certainly would not appeal to everyone. To be honest, I was afraid to post the URL because I didn't want to offend anyone here (being new and all).

The Internet was awesome when I was in high school. :D

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:16 pm

I like how in the Goku description he theorizes that sending Goku to space was a bit of fridge brilliance on the Saiyans' part; yeah, he hit his head, but he's so fucking stupid he gets the planet in danger anyway.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:19 am

Does the site still have that one altered comic on there?

The one where the MFG guy fights Leia and Wedge, and alters the dialogue of some "good guy beats evil Nazi super soldiers" comic?
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

SonMatthew

Post by SonMatthew » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:47 am

This site reminds me of why I was never friends with many other anime fans. From a quick glance, they seem to criticise everything that is good about Dragonball. Their criticisms often completely miss the point of the show and don't seem to even pay attention to the plot (Goku gives Cell the Senzu bean because he knows Gohan's power will only be unleashed if his friends are at risk and he is forced to reach his limits, right? He knew that at his weakened level Cell wouldn't do that, but would still be too strong for Gohan to defeat outright without going SSJ2. If this isn't the reason, it is at least a valid interpretation which they completely ignore.)

Sometimes I am really puzzled that some prefare the old dubs of Z rather than the Japanese versions/Kai dub. But this site perfectly explains it - some of them don't really like what Dragonball originally was, but instead like the 'xtreme' show Funi tried to create. And of course, if that is the show you want, you are going to be put off by the more fanciful elements of the showthat funi couldn't avoid including (especially pre-Z Dragonball) because they aren't 'cool' enough. Don't criticise Dragonball for what it is, if you don't like it, don't watch - and certainly don't spend all that effort making a 'fan' website for it, especially a drastically unfunny and off-the-mark one. Glad it is defunct.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 pm

SonMatthew wrote:This site reminds me of why I was never friends with many other anime fans. From a quick glance, they seem to criticise everything that is good about Dragonball. Their criticisms often completely miss the point of the show and don't seem to even pay attention to the plot (Goku gives Cell the Senzu bean because he knows Gohan's power will only be unleashed if his friends are at risk and he is forced to reach his limits, right? He knew that at his weakened level Cell wouldn't do that, but would still be too strong for Gohan to defeat outright without going SSJ2. If this isn't the reason, it is at least a valid interpretation which they completely ignore.)

Sometimes I am really puzzled that some prefare the old dubs of Z rather than the Japanese versions/Kai dub. But this site perfectly explains it - some of them don't really like what Dragonball originally was, but instead like the 'xtreme' show Funi tried to create. And of course, if that is the show you want, you are going to be put off by the more fanciful elements of the showthat funi couldn't avoid including (especially pre-Z Dragonball) because they aren't 'cool' enough. Don't criticise Dragonball for what it is, if you don't like it, don't watch - and certainly don't spend all that effort making a 'fan' website for it, especially a drastically unfunny and off-the-mark one. Glad it is defunct.
I think you're kind of missing the point of the website. I compared it to Encyclopedia Dramatica before and that was mainly because it's being purposefully antagonistic towards everyone and everything (Dragonball related in this case.) They want your kind of reaction because it's funny to see someone get all up in arms over a silly little article they slapped together in a tongue and cheek way. (Of course it can argued ED's "ironic" hatred much like 4chan's has become entirely real which is flaw in being an "ironic" asshole but that's another can of worms.) The false anger, inaccuracy and exaggerations are all part of their humor.

So yeah don't sweat it, the term "troll" is tossed around a lot to mean "people who don't like things I like" nowadays but let me assure you once upon a time it meant being exaggeratedly antagonistic for no reason other to get a reaction. I'm fairly sure whomever made this site wasn't literally sitting there frothing with rage at Dragonball.

I'd like to talk about the dub thing too but I don't want to derail this thread with the dreaded dub Vs. sub debate which has claimed many an innocent thread so I'll just say I respectfully disagree with your assessment. :)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:21 pm

Cool site, I really laughed! It's a pitty it's based only on the US version and Z. It will be really funny to have this kind of humor applied on the original JP version.
Damn, I'm going to read some more bio :D
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote: So yeah don't sweat it, the term "troll" is tossed around a lot to mean "people who don't like things I like" nowadays but let me assure you once upon a time it meant being exaggeratedly antagonistic for no reason other to get a reaction. I'm fairly sure whomever made this site wasn't literally sitting there frothing with rage at Dragonball.
That's what troll still means; troll accusations are usually so common because people think it means disagreeing with you for whatever reason.
SonMatthew wrote: Sometimes I am really puzzled that some prefer the old dubs of Z rather than the Japanese versions/Kai dub. But this site perfectly explains it - some of them don't really like what Dragonball originally was, but instead like the 'xtreme' show Funi tried to create. And of course, if that is the show you want, you are going to be put off by the more fanciful elements of the show that funi couldn't avoid including (especially pre-Z Dragonball) because they aren't 'cool' enough.
It is interesting talking to such fans, and gauging how much they know about the background of the series. Say, the guy who to this day thinks the Japanese VA sounds wimpy while at the same time annoyed that he has to buy a different product (Kai) to get a better while enjoying Cha La because it's the just the sort of funky Japanese that suits Dragonball (While Dragon Soul isn't).

Wait, I just gave an anonymous dossier. Funny.
jjgp1112 wrote:I like how in the Goku description he theorizes that sending Goku to space was a bit of fridge brilliance on the Saiyans' part; yeah, he hit his head, but he's so fucking stupid he gets the planet in danger anyway.
Well holy cow, an over-analysis that Toriyama actually dealt with! That doesn't happen every day!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: That's what troll still means; troll accusations are usually so common because people think it means disagreeing with you for whatever reason.
Y-yes, I'm aware. I was playing around.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: That's what troll still means; troll accusations are usually so common because people think it means disagreeing with you for whatever reason.
Y-yes, I'm aware. I was playing around.

Oh, me. :lol:
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada