Dat Sword

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Dat Sword

Post by Plague-Memories » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:58 pm

So..how did Trunks get the sword?

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dat Sword

Post by GizmoKSX » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Tapion gives his sword to young Trunks in Dragon Ball Z movie 13. However, the movies aren't considered canon, so that's not an entirely official explanation.
I can see their parachutes.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:09 pm

GizmoKSX wrote:Tapion gives his sword to young Trunks in Dragon Ball Z movie 13. However, the movies aren't considered canon, so that's not an entirely official explanation.
It wouldn't make sense in the least if Taipon giving him the sword was the explanation behind Mirai Trunks having it, so that doesn't work.

That's why I'm dumbfounded here. :/

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Yeah, since future Trunks already had his sword in the alternate future where he never met Tapion, I don't understand how he could have obtained the same sword twice in alternate time lines. Maybe it's just his destiny to have that sword, no matter what time line it is! :D

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:03 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:Yeah, since future Trunks already had his sword in the alternate future where he never met Tapion, I don't understand how he could have obtained the same sword twice in alternate time lines. Maybe it's just his destiny to have that sword, no matter what time line it is! :D
I'm just going to go with that, and assume it's a sword with no recorded back history.
It is now canon!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:03 pm

I believe there is a flashback scene to Trunks's timeline that shows many random people with swords. So one might conclude that everyone in the future has swords. I guess they just realized the jinzouningen were bullet-proof and tried to go medieval on them. It didn't work.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:08 pm

caejones wrote:I believe there is a flashback scene to Trunks's timeline that shows many random people with swords. So one might conclude that everyone in the future has swords. I guess they just realized the jinzouningen were bullet-proof and tried to go medieval on them. It didn't work.
Yes you are right, we even see "Mystic Gohan" there for a moment with a sword. But taking into consideration that people tried to fight off Cell with guns and bombs, people resorting to swords and other means of self-defense in mere desperation makes somewhat sense. Trunks using a sword could be of him taking the customs of his time into consideration.
Or maybe he created some cool knights of the round table kind of thing, a resistance of sorts. That would be awesome and I would definitely read that story and about their future.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Plague-Memories wrote:
GizmoKSX wrote:Tapion gives his sword to young Trunks in Dragon Ball Z movie 13. However, the movies aren't considered canon, so that's not an entirely official explanation.
It wouldn't make sense in the least if Taipon giving him the sword was the explanation behind Mirai Trunks having it, so that doesn't work.

That's why I'm dumbfounded here. :/
Well, a lot of things in DB doesn't make sense or add up. But, this is how Trunks got his sword according to the Dragon Ball Z Movie 13 Art Book.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 pm

In "Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Doesn't Do It, Who Will?", it was established that the future Trunks' sword was something he got from the hero Tapion.
(Daizenshuu 6, p.150)

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:44 pm

There's nothing to say that little red man didn't come to earth in Future Trunks' timeline when he was a kid. They could have opened the music box some other way. And all this, of course, happened without the Androids knowing or caring.

I watched movie 13 again the other day. And upon further review, I have concluded that the plot of that movie is stupid. So it makes no difference to me what questions it answers or raises.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:33 pm

^ Well, except the fact that even Hirudegarn's lower half would have utterly obliterated Trunks, the androids, and all life on the planet. ;-)
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:36 pm

The movie show that trunks apparently recieves the sword form Tapion, however since it is a movie and not Canon I'd say its just a regular old sword. Swords seemed to be the style in his time :)
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Well, he bought it. That's Toriyama's idea...... Well, you can go and buy yourself one sword too or pay visit to a Blacksmith.
It just amuses me, how characters in franchises need to get their things and stuff in some mysterious way.
Well, Zoro from One Piece came to armory shop and got himself some katanas.
So Trunks in simmilar idea came to Blacksmith and said: ''Hey man, I need some hard thing which can cut trough the metal.'' So no official explanation, but manga storyline is unknown.
He got it from Tapion, that's TOEI's anime storyline.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:02 pm

Nineteen wrote:^ Well, except the fact that even Hirudegarn's lower half would have utterly obliterated Trunks, the androids, and all life on the planet. ;-)
...the lower half from the "main" timeline, sure. We've already seen that Mirai Trunks's timeline has all sorts of random, nonsensical differences, including in how strong certain enemies are.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Well, if one recalls, all sorts of wacky, inconsistent things happened between the various timelines. Perhaps, Tapion came at a different time... and the chain of events could have possibly played out differently, as well. Who knows?

www.KristaMichaels.com

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:30 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Well, he bought it. That's Toriyama's idea...... Well, you can go and buy yourself one sword too or pay visit to a Blacksmith.
It just amuses me, how characters in franchises need to get their things and stuff in some mysterious way.
Well, Zoro from One Piece came to armory shop and got himself some katanas.
So Trunks in simmilar idea came to Blacksmith and said: ''Hey man, I need some hard thing which can cut trough the metal.'' So no official explanation, but manga storyline is unknown.
He got it from Tapion, that's TOEI's anime storyline.
The sword can cut through Freeza, so it's not simply a sword.

Probably Bulma made it.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Nineteen wrote:^ Well, except the fact that even Hirudegarn's lower half would have utterly obliterated Trunks, the androids, and all life on the planet. ;-)
Well, they weren't going SS when they were fighting it, right? If so, the androids and Trunks could probably kill it pretty easily.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:00 pm

I'd like to think that since movie 13 isn't canon, that there's another explanation for his sword. And besides, movie 13 wasn't thought up by Akira Toriyama, nor was it even conceived during the time future Trunks appeared in the series. So therefore...I believe that after all the capsules and vehicles and weapons, surely Capsule Corporation could make a pretty damn good sword. Why do people wonder how he got the sword so much? It's a sword. Yajirobe had a sword. I mean is it really that amazing?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:08 am

funrush wrote:
Well, they weren't going SS when they were fighting it, right? If so, the androids and Trunks could probably kill it pretty easily.
Wasn't it just Gohan who fought without transforming? And by that stage, he was no longer transforming anyway... although his Mystic form seemed to be like a transformation in that particular movie...
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:17 am

Well, as I remember, they were fluffing transforming! Only Gohan was Mystic....
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88