I used to hate the Dub theme-song...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

I used to hate the Dub theme-song...

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:07 am

Well, I'd always been asngry at the terrible dub theme song for DragonBall Z (oh, god, don't mention DragonBall).

But I just now heard the theme for One-Peice. It's rap. Rap. They actually say "One Peice, One Peice. It's the name of the treasue."

I feel so much better about 'Rock the Dragon' now.

ChibiKenji
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ChibiKenji » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:36 am

I dunno about Rock the Dragon, but I kinda liked the dub themes for the rest of Z. I don't mind the Dragonball one, either.

GT though, there is where I have a problem.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:32 am

Though from what I hear, 4Kids has (thankfully) quit dubbing episodes of One Piece.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: I used to hate the Dub theme-song...

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:29 am

desirecampbell wrote:They actually say "One Peice, One Peice. It's the name of the treasue."
Whenever I hear it, I always have to interject, "One Piece, One Piece! IT'S THE NAME OF THE SHOW YOU'RE WATCHING, MUTHA FUCKA!"

But yes, I find it hilarious when companies like 4Kidz attempt to mirror society's trends in their own TV show theme songs. FUNimation is another prime example.

If we can find a way to bring this slightly more on-topic, I'd love to keep it open.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:44 am

You cant talk about mirroring society's trends without bringing up Funi's GT theme. Every time I hear it I feel like putting a gun to my head.

desirecampbell

Re: I used to hate the Dub theme-song...

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:They actually say "One Peice, One Peice. It's the name of the treasue."
Whenever I hear it, I always have to interject, "One Piece, One Piece! IT'S THE NAME OF THE SHOW YOU'RE WATCHING, MUTHA FUCKA!"

But yes, I find it hilarious when companies like 4Kidz attempt to mirror society's trends in their own TV show theme songs. FUNimation is another prime example.

If we can find a way to bring this slightly more on-topic, I'd love to keep it open.
I continued to listen out of morbid curiousity. The song basically explained the entire concept and main characters - not just "spelling it out" it actually spelled out the character's names.

'Rock the Dragon' may have just said "rock", "the", "dragon", and "dragonball z", but at least it never went "Goku's an alien, he's super strong, he flys shoots lazers, and " you know what, just thinking about it makes me sick. I can't even finish.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:01 pm

That DBZ theme was pretty cheesey, yet oddly....satisfying.

:?

Speaking of other dub themes, I think Naruto's theme is pretty cool (at least from what I've seen). Especially when they get into that whole guitar-tapping part, even though it's obviously computer MIDI or something.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:39 pm

I love Rock the Dragon and the redub opening song. I even like the GT dub theme. Not for good reasons, though. It was annoying as hell, but it rubbed off on me.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:44 pm

*PINHEAD* wrote:That DBZ theme was pretty cheesey, yet oddly....satisfying.

:?

Speaking of other dub themes, I think Naruto's theme is pretty cool (at least from what I've seen). Especially when they get into that whole guitar-tapping part, even though it's obviously computer MIDI or something.
I'm sorry, but nothing will ever be good enough to stand up to "Haruka Kanata" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Nothing. They were absolute idiots not to at least leave THAT theme song in.

Anyway, you guys are forgetting the fun Canadian dub song. With that electric guitar and drums. Then that demonic voice, going "Dragon, Dragonball! Dragonball ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!" It was like a bad Canadian heavy metal band from the 80's. :lol:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:34 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:I'm sorry, but nothing will ever be good enough to stand up to "Haruka Kanata" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Nothing. They were absolute idiots not to at least leave THAT theme song in.
Agreed. Not sure who's responsible for picking themes, but they should have taken a hint from funimation when they decided to leave in "Ready Steady Go" for the dub of Full Metal Alchemist. (Well, the TV version uses that anyway, I don't know about what they used on the DVDs.)

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:53 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:I'm sorry, but nothing will ever be good enough to stand up to "Haruka Kanata" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Nothing. They were absolute idiots not to at least leave THAT theme song in.
Actually, Jers, they're currently on the eps that would have "R*O*C*K*S, though they used Haruka Kanata footage too, so... Dammit, what's wrong with Viz or ShoPro anyway? They even took out Wind, which is sung IN ENGLISH..

*babbles mindlessly*

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:00 pm

Dub themes seem to be hit and miss from what I've noticed. Personally I enjoyed the dub song used on the 1995 Dragon Ball dub by FUNimation. Maybe its just because it was the first DB I'd ever seen, but who knows. Then there's the afformentioned One Peice dub theme which makes me want to cry. I do certainly agree that its nice when they use the original songs, and yet I am probably alone in enjoying english versions of the original songs. Early Rurouni Kenshin did this, Yu Yu Hakusho does it, and the latter DB Funi dub does it. I just enjoyed hearing the original song but in a language that I am native to.

As for FMA the DVDs do indeed use the Japanese original songs (in correct order with episodes, unlike Adut Swim's airings which uses Ready Steady Go to open each episode but vary the end music accuratly).
-Laserkid

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:30 pm

Like laserkid said, dub themes can be hit or miss. THough one thing I noticed with the difference between anime and American cartoons' theme is that American cartoons' themes usually, unless they're instrumental, have something to do with the show's plot. Also they usually don't have different ending themes. That's why I think they altered the lyrics to the dub Sailor Moon theme to keep it as such. With the Kenshin theme, that sounded weird and too perky in either language. With Naruto, I thought the "ROCKS" theme was kind of sappy, but that's my view. For the ending it seemed that VIz just wanted to get it over with and show the credits. I do like the dub theme though.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:44 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Anyway, you guys are forgetting the fun Canadian dub song. With that electric guitar and drums. Then that demonic voice, going "Dragon, Dragonball! Dragonball ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!" It was like a bad Canadian heavy metal band from the 80's. :lol:
That's actually the song I was talking about - I just said 'Rock the Dragon' because I don't know the name. It's basicially the same song, but with "rock the" added in, and the whole thing speeded up.

Here's my "scientific" analysis:
Dragon, dragon.......................Dragon,
Rock the dragon......................DragonBall.
DragonBall Zee.......................DragonBall Zee.
DragonBall Zeeeeee!................DragonBall Zeeeeee!
Last edited by desirecampbell on Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:59 pm

A humorous thing I remember from when I was in primary school, it was the episode in which Gohan is trying to survive out in the wild. My dad seen the "Rock the Dragon" intro and then seen Gohan happily drinking from a stream, his reaction was "why a heavy metal opening if it's a kid show like this?".
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:21 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:Anyway, you guys are forgetting the fun Canadian dub song. With that electric guitar and drums. Then that demonic voice, going "Dragon, Dragonball! Dragonball ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!" It was like a bad Canadian heavy metal band from the 80's. :lol:
That's actually the song I was talking about - I just said 'Rock the Dragon' because I don't know the name. It's basicially the same song, but with "rock the" added in, and the whole thing speeded up.

Here's my "scientific" analysis:
DragonBall Zee.......................DragonBall Zee.
DragonBall Zeeeeee!................DragonBall Zeeeeee!
Actually "Rock the Dragon never had any overexaggerated Z's in it. The line was "Come Get Me!" The main site has it here:

http://www.daizex.com/multimedia/lyrics ... ragon.html

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:24 pm

B-kun wrote:
Actually, Jers, they're currently on the eps that would have "R*O*C*K*S, though they used Haruka Kanata footage too, so... Dammit, what's wrong with Viz or ShoPro anyway? They even took out Wind, which is sung IN ENGLISH..

*babbles mindlessly*
I know where they are, but I'm just making a point. "ROCKS" isn't as good a theme song or opening in my opinion so I mentioned "Haruka Kanata". And tell me you can actually understand even half of what the singer for "Wind" is saying. Trust me, you need to read the lyrics. It's the first thing I did when I got the OST CD.

DesireCampbell: I never really thought about the American and Canadian themes being pretty much alike but you have a point. They really aren't much different. XD
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:01 am

I didn't actually mind 'Rock the Dragon' that much. Except for the time I thought it said 'hump the dragon'...Then I got really scared :shock:

One Piece's theme song makes me wanna blow up the 4kids HQ, whereever it may be. Has anyone found it yet?

Naruto's dub theme ain't that bad either. (Yes, I said ain't. I'm also from Kentucky, so sue me :) )
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:21 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
One Piece's theme song makes me wanna blow up the 4kids HQ, whereever it may be. Has anyone found it yet?
It's in New York somewhere....Haven't figured out WHERE yet...

I thought both the Canadian and American dub themes were all right, never saw what problems were with it. But yeah, I hated 4Kids dubbing theme of One Piece, and especially of Sonic X, since I had LOVED the original song, "Sonic Drive" by Hinorobu Kageyama. Every time I heard that 4Kids crap, I wanted to cry......

But I had strangely thought "Step into the Grand Tour" OWNED all those horrible anime-dub rap attempts

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:41 am

For the record, guys, One Piece unfortunately got stuck in a mid-season shuffle. I say unfortunately, because I wanted the dub to be cancelled... Oh, and 4Kids' address is: 1414 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York. Sorry to keep this off topic. ^^ Umm... Well, I hate the OP dub theme. :)