Transformations Guide

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Transformations Guide

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:16 pm

It's really stupid. It's on tons of sites. It's really not all that interesting.

But I really, really, really wanted to do it, and I think I can do a better job than most of the other sites out there. SO... I'm currently working on a "Transformations Guide" that will eventually showcase (hopefully) every form and transformation in the series / movies.

I'm currently shying away from GT right now, with the exception of Golden Oozaru and SSJ4 (since they seem a little too important to leave out). At the time I'm writing this, three sections are live: Saiyan, Cell, and Buu. The "Saiyan" and "Cell" sections are more or less complete, but I just started working on "Buu" today... so other than some images, there's not much too it, yet.

So what do you all think? It's not all THAT interesting, and while it's been done before, I'm having fun working on it... so that's pretty amazing. Anyone think this will be useful, or at least fun to read over?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:24 pm

Looks great so far. Much better than the generic lists on "newb" sites.

admin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by admin » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:26 pm

Good stuff, very informative read for people who are unfamiliar and even familiar with what the transformations but not exactly sure of how they happened or when they happened.

Can't wait to see all of 'em completed.
[size=200][b][color=red]TKE[/color] [color=gray]4[/color] [color=red]LIFE[/color][/size][/b]

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:20 pm

Very cool. There is one thing missing though from the SSJ transformations (that, for some reason, everyone misses out). It only applies to the Son family, but their eyes change in another way when they turn Super Saiyan. Normally, Goku, Gohan, and Goten's eye outline isn't cully drawn. It only goes about half way around their eye. Traditionally (I think), this was the sort of eye that "good guys" tended to have. Bad guys, or characters that were bad when they were first introduced, have completely outlined eyes. They start off quite curvey (as in Tenshinhan, and even Raditz), but during the Freeza saga, they get more angular, until you end up with three straight lines below the eyebrow.

Well, when Goku first turns Super Saiyan, his eyes also get "fully outlined". Even during the Cell Games, when he was relaxing while remaining SSJ, his eyes stayed fully outlined, even though they opened up to look more like normal Goku eyes. The same applies with Gohan.

This doesn't apply to Vegeta and Trunks, who have the fully outlined eyes even in normal form.

(And, to go more off topic, this is one of the reasons why I believe that Gohan never lost his "mystic" power up. When he gets it, his eyes become fully outlined, even though he isn't in a SSJ form, and they remain like that for the rest of the series. And in GT, too.)

Er, I hope that makes sense. I know it's picky, but I'm sure I remember reading an interview with Toriyama once where he debated about the Super Saiyan look, since he said that he was essentially giving Goku a "bad guy" face.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:26 pm

Although one thing:

"DragonBall GT brings in the next level of Super Saiyan transformations with Super Saiyan 4!"

Is it me, or does that sound like advertising blurb, trying to get people excited by GT?

I do think that the magical power of trouser creation and growth should be mentioned in the SSJ 4 section. Handy too, unless we want to see Goku naked (and if we did, we'd only have to look at about a billion other episodes to find an example).

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:53 pm

Awesome stuff. This is the kind of proof-reading and extra thought I need while writing the sections ^^. Thanks so much!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:04 am

I should note as well (even though it's not 100% relevent) that Bardock has "evil eyes", rather than Goku's normal eyes. Same with Turles (or whatever his name is).

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:09 am

And if we're nitpicking:

"In this stage, Cell's power has increased exponentially, but he is still no match for a regular Super Saiyan. His rear end is handed to him by Super Saiyan Vegeta, who ultimately makes the mistake of letting his pride control him;"

Wasn't Vegeta an Acended/Ultra/Really Hard Super Saiyan at that point? If so, then it's possible that Second Form Cell was a match for a "regular" Super Saiyan.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:15 am

Point taken.

SSJ Bento

Post by SSJ Bento » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:45 am

I believe thats the clearest explaination I've ever seen for the USSJ level!

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:49 am

Personally, I'd like to see some differentiation as to whether certain scenes (such as Gohan's first SSJ transformation, or Broli's appearance) are unique to the anime or manga/anime canon.

Of course, I suppose I could do this myself at some point. 8)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:52 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:Personally, I'd like to see some differentiation as to whether certain scenes (such as Gohan's first SSJ transformation, or Broli's appearance) are unique to the anime or manga/anime canon.
Same goes. This will be especially necessary for characters like Future Trunks, where it's completely different in the anime / manga. Just gotta figure out how to organize it :P

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:00 am

Isn't it obligatory that a page such as this HAS to mention Raditz in the SSJ 3 section?

"OMG! Imagin raditz with SSSJ 3 hair!!!!! IT WUd gO on 4eVEr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAA!"

Strangely, Gohan's crazy long hair when he first turns SSJ is never mentioned.

Oh, one other thing. I could be imagining it, but is there some sort of implication that, the first time someone turns SSJ, it affects their mind to a degree. Goku's cries of "get out of here before I lose control", and the fact that Gohan is grunting up a storm when he first transforms both seem to imply this. And it also might apply to the first time Gohan turns SSJ 2 as well.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:06 am

PsyLiam wrote:Oh, one other thing. I could be imagining it, but is there some sort of implication that, the first time someone turns SSJ, it affects their mind to a degree. Goku's cries of "get out of here before I lose control", and the fact that Gohan is grunting up a storm when he first transforms both seem to imply this. And it also might apply to the first time Gohan turns SSJ 2 as well.
I agree. I sorta touched on it with "Control over this power, however, is not always the easiest thing at first, however." I think some more could be added to it, though, yeah.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:30 am

Ahh. Okay. I missed it. My bad. It is good though. Yay!

Er, would mentioning that Goku can't do a Genki Dama while in SSJ be worthwhile?

It's still great though!

I'm going now. I've hogged the boards for too long tonight already.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:43 am

PsyLiam wrote:Er, would mentioning that Goku can't do a Genki Dama while in SSJ be worthwhile?
Yes... yes, I think it would be. *makes mental note*

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:05 pm

I remember reading that the step up from SSJ2 to SSJ3 is not as significant as SSJ1 -> SSJ2.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:40 pm

I've always heard that the most significant change is the first transformation into SSJ1. After that is when there isn't as much of a change. Hmmm, I should go and re-check what Goku said in his explaination to Majin Buu again. :?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:08 pm

Yeah, Goku's explanation to Majin Buu of the various stages (well, SSJ1 and SSJ2) is the best "from the mouths of the characters, themselves" we GET, in terms of... well... explanations from the characters, themselves x_X;;

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:58 pm

Nice work on the section. It looks a lot better than the one that I threw together. Definately detailed as everything usually is on Daizenshuu EX. Good Job!
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]