FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:47 am

Wow just wow!!!!! I can confirm this is indeed the case. I sent an email to Funimation asking where to find the Dragon Boxes in stores and they replied telling me they were sorry to inform that the Dragon Boxes were a limited print and have been discontinued!!!! I was pretty shocked and asked for them if this was the case for even the new Dragon Boxes 5,6, and 7. They told me yes that once all the online stores run out of them they will not be replenished. Conclusion??? Get the Dragon Boxes ASAP if you want them!!!!!

Original Message:

Product Concerns ProductConcerns@funimation.com to me

show details Oct 26 (1 day ago)

Hello,

The Dragon Ball Z boxes were all limited edition box sets, and they will not have a second run. They have been discontinued and the stock that each store caries is limited. Stores such as Amazon do carry the product though. Please see the below link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... ra&x=0&y=0

Thank you,

Product Concerns

FUNimation Entertainment

DarkGokuZ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Boxes have in deed been discontinued

Post by DarkGokuZ » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:51 am

Wow that went fast. :shock: glad I got to get them all.
digireign wrote: I vote to call it "Super Cyan."

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 am

DarkGokuZ wrote:Wow that went fast. :shock: glad I got to get them all.
Ditto.
-Joey

angelus0901
Beyond Newbie

Post by angelus0901 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:07 am

I still have to get the 4th one...
What the Helheim?!

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:11 am

SHIT! I gotta get the last one!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:37 am

Well, dang it all, got to pick up those Buu Boxes some time by the end of the year.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Re: FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Post by Raithos » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 am

Hmm maybe i should double up? Lol
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 pm

O_O;

How long has Volume 7 been unavailable from Amazon?!

I have credit there, and was going to go ahead and grab it instead of waiting until Christmas... But if they're out of print, I don't know if I want to risk it.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:22 pm

TRANSLATION: They didn't sell that well.

That's very unfortunate, especially considering how vastly superior they are to the Orange Bricks.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:TRANSLATION: They didn't sell that well.
I don't know about that but, I'm pretty sure making this a limited release was their plan all along. We just didn't know when they were gonna discontinue them.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:04 pm

That could be, but I'm not convinced.

1) They didn't mention the term "limited release" when they announced their aquisition of the Dragon Boxes (to the best of my memory anyway, someone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
2) They also mentioned that they acquired the Dragon Box movies as well, which they never released.
3) The price was $80 for the first Dragon Box, and the prices plummeted fairly quickly.
4) Economic logic implies that if something is selling well, you don't discontinue it. There are exceptions of, course, but if something's selling well, you have no reason to stop it. Hell, if the Dragon Boxes had really sold that well, my guess is that not only would FUNimation still be printing them, but that we would have eventually gotten the Dragon Boxes for "Dragon Ball" and "Dragon Ball GT" as well.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Just ordered the final two. Thanks for the heads up!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:23 pm

I got all (of) mine already. :D

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:19 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:That could be, but I'm not convinced.

1) They didn't mention the term "limited release" when they announced their aquisition of the Dragon Boxes (to the best of my memory anyway, someone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
You are. They've used the word "limited" very little in advertising, but they did mention it in a few places, most notably affirming the limited nature of the sets on the Anime News Network podcast.
2) They also mentioned that they acquired the Dragon Box movies as well, which they never released.
...Which has nothing to do with the current sets being discontinued. There is nothing keeping them from releasing a Dragon Box The Movies. They're just not printing more of the current Dragon Boxes that they've already made. My guess is they decided not to dual-run the set against the cheaper movies sets they have going right now, but that's imposing *sense* and *logic* on Funi's release schedule, which is probably a stupid thing to do.
3) The price was $80 for the first Dragon Box, and the prices plummeted fairly quickly.
And this coincided with the prices of ALL of Funimation's DVDs taking a sharp drop in price. While the theory that the prices adjusted for sales reason did come up in the community at the time, it seems to have been more the case of a company-wide pricing policy change than anything related to these specific sets.
4) Economic logic implies that if something is selling well, you don't discontinue it. There are exceptions of, course, but if something's selling well, you have no reason to stop it. Hell, if the Dragon Boxes had really sold that well, my guess is that not only would FUNimation still be printing them, but that we would have eventually gotten the Dragon Boxes for "Dragon Ball" and "Dragon Ball GT" as well.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. Considering how difficult these masters were to obtain in the first place, and how jealously Toei guarded them, I wouldn't be at ALL surprised if a limited printing was part of the acquisition deal. Besides, there's more to printing more copies than simple "Is it selling?" Maybe they sold well, but the premium packaging had lower margins than a Blu Ray release, for example. Maybe they wanted to allocate their printing resources elsewhere, where margins were better. "Economics" is nowhere near as simple as you're making it out to be, and there is a company bureaucracy going across several levels making decisions based on tons of data that we simply do not have. Now, is it possible that they didn't sell too well or didn't sell above expectations and were discontinued due to a lack of demand? Maybe. But we can't say for certain, nor can we even be reasonably sure of that conclusion.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:25 pm

penguintruth wrote:Just ordered the final two. Thanks for the heads up!
Time for me to do the same thing! (As expected, FUNimation gave us another reason to buy more of their products faster ><)
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:26 pm

I need to get the last 3.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:37 pm

I still need to get the last 5. Waiting to get paid tomorrow, getting at least 3-6 for sure. (And hopefully 7 by the end of the month :( )

Talk about coming out of left field, with them still advertising the Dragon Boxes, Orange Bricks and Blu-Rays together...the fact that the Orange Bricks are still in print is a little insulting...
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Haha well for some reason, it feels good that I have all of mine. Not only that, but I like how these happen to be the best DVD releases of Z in NA, AND they also happened to be limited. It's sort of like an investment. I think pretty much everybody who sincerely wanted these got them, but for those who missed out, these are going to be worth a lot to them. The consumers will run the market, and I think if the steelbooks can be fetching prices of up to $140, then just think about what a full collection of Dragon Boxes will be worth in a couple of years?

BTW, when did DBox 7 stop selling on amazon? I mean it just got released, and apparently they're almost gone! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some more showed up on amazon.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 pm

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Just ordered the final two. Thanks for the heads up!
Time for me to do the same thing! (As expected, FUNimation gave us another reason to buy more of their products faster ><)
Don't I know it. Funimation owns me at this point.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Although it's good to get a final word on the topic this isn't much of a shock, really. The sets can't be found in brick and mortar stores any longer as far as I know. The Best Buys near me carried the first three, clearanced boxes 2 and 3 for about $24 each, and got a tiny supply of box 4. Haven't seen them stock anything since. So it's been pretty consistent that the Dragon Boxes were never going to be FUNi's perpetual sets like the Orange Bricks and now Blu-rays. The good news is that anything sold on Amazon will likely be in enough supply that it's unlikely they'll become genuinely hard to come by second hand.

All I'm concerned about is if the sets sold well enough to justify releasing the movies and pursuing DB and DBGT. It'd be a shame for the Z sets to stand alone considering the rest of them could be released in relatively few volumes.