Viz's use of "djinn" for "Majin Buu"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:48 pm

I can't tell in this case if Viz is just honestly mistaken in their translation/revisioning, or whatever they want to call it. I could see it being an easy mistake to make; Boo is magical, sealed inside an object for a long period of time until he's released to serve a 'Master', and even his clothes look like a genie.

But on the other hand, I have to assume that Viz has competant translators and would realize that Boo isn't a Djinn in any sense, and that they are just putting their own spin on this character. So much for Viz's so called continuity. :?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:07 pm

But... Boo is like a Djinn >_<

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:09 pm

The German manga uses Mr. Satan. I think H.ercule is from France, sounds more like a French name, c.f. famous detective H.ercule Poirot.
I thought France used Mr. Pogi or something like that...
Unfortunately, Shonen Jump ain't exactly one to be known for being consistant and is known for pulling things out of their rears. Such as the switch from Zoro to Zolo out of no where, claiming Mr. Satan was a former wrestler and that his stage name was Mr. Satan and then went with the name H.ercule, going from half-assed translated Naruto techniques to the correct phrasings (although that one's for the better), naming Don Patch as Poppa Rocks despite the anime keeping the name as well as a few other names. :\
Is it so damn hard to not change anything? I mean do the translators of SJ just have some impluse that whenever they see a Japanese word or name they change it? :?
Yeah, I'm glad they're fixing several of the Naruto jutsu names. Now if they would just fix "Byakugan", I'd be.. slightly less grumpy. Hinata's my favorite character it pains me seeing her use an attack with "evil" in it.
Atleast they've started changing the names in the anime version...

Sorry for going off topic a bit, VegettoEX! :? Anyway I see it, Majin Buu is and always will be Majin Buu, not some weird Djinn Buu shit Viz decides to put into the manga. What the hell is so wrong about Majin Buu? The kept Piccolo Daimao's name, why can't they just go with Majin? :?
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:15 pm

I guess they thought Majin was a quirkier translation. Djinn sounds better than demon-person.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:36 am

Just for note...I picked up "Dragonball Z Volume 23" aka Dragonball 39 today and they seem to like calling him "Boo the Djinn" a lot.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:30 am

Probably didn't help that FUNimation pronounced Majin as Madjinn (or giving it a French sound to it, similar to mispronouncing Dr. Gero's name) rather than as it's spelled.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:14 pm

So a 魔人 could be a 'magical being' of a 'being of magical powers'. Which I think Djinn covers...?
Precisely.

Ma is commonly associated with demon, specifically 'devil' (more specifically the Eastern equivalent), but don't forget, kanji use gets quite clever.

That which is unexplainable often gets associated with things of the 'other world' do they not? that's pretty common wherever you go in the world. Now, consider the word 魔法 or simply "magic" ('real' magic not card tricks) here it's not necessarily evil, it simply indicates 'magic law' or as we would say sorcerey, witchcraft, etc. It links unexplained events to a demonic figure's law or method, but this has come to be a modern word for real magic, not necessarily assciated with demons.

That said, some of the earliest DB translations DID list Buu as 'Magical Being Buu' and it may even have appeared as such on 'Three Steps' even though I can't confirm that. I do know that assholes like myself who knew little Japanese at the time thought they could run with the words as they saw fit and take the "coolest way to spell it 'cause it's cool n' stuff".

Honestly, it's REALLY weird of them to change it after it has been used so long like that but it does make sense.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:49 pm

All of this talk reminds of a card from Yugiou, "Lajin the Mystical Genie of the Lamp", and I wonder, is "Lajin" a dub name taking a bit of liscense from Djinn or is it in turn yet another name for genies' and magical creatures?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:15 pm

Djinn? That's pretty...weird. I guess it would kind of make sense, seeing as Buu is a magical creature much like the djinn. Majin Buu still sounds cooler. Those crazy Viz people and their noncomformity. :x
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:30 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
The German manga uses Mr. Satan. I think H.ercule is from France, sounds more like a French name, c.f. famous detective H.ercule Poirot.
I thought France used Mr. Pogi or something like that...
1) "H ercule" is ALMOST how you PRONOUNCE Hercules in French. It's written the same, but with a silent H and a silent S.

2) The French manga uses "Satan." Does ANYBODY actually call him "Mr. Satan?" In the Japanese movies and Japanese GT episodes I've seen he's always either being called "Satan" or "Satan-kun."

3) Mr. Pogi? What the fuck? Was this a brain fart on "Pojo's" or something? :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:12 pm

3) Mr. Pogi? What the fuck? Was this a brain fart on "Pojo's" or something?
Oops, I think that Mr. Pogi was used in the Portugese or Spanish manga...I actually don't know how they came up with Mr. Pogi...I think I saw it in another thread or something...

I picked up the new SJ today and I noticed that they called Majin Buu 'Boo the Djinn'... :|

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:12 am

Uhh, ya know, I am a dubbie by heart, so changes or screw up's don't really bother me. Sure it's kind of stupid to say Djinn, but I don't feel like people should make a big deal about this stuff.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:58 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:I picked up the new SJ today and I noticed that they called Majin Buu 'Boo the Djinn'... :|
I said that just 6 posts ago.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:55 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
Oops, I think that Mr. Pogi was used in the Portugese or Spanish manga...
Uhhhh.... both Spain and Mexico's translations refer to him as "Mister Satan", or just plain "Satan". Just thought I'd clarify that... :wink:

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:52 am

I said that just 6 posts ago.
:oops: Sorry, Duo. I guess I didn't notice...
Uhhhh.... both Spain and Mexico's translations refer to him as "Mister Satan", or just plain "Satan". Just thought I'd clarify that...
Thanks...I have no idea what Mr. Pogi was all about...